“Customer service needs improvement”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
quebec
“Customer service needs improvement”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Some confusion surrounded my reservation and then I needed to make a change. The hotel staff was less than fully gracious. This left me feeling unwelcomed and will certainly encourage me to stay elsewhere next time.
As a result of the confusion I stayed in a king suite consisting of two small rooms, one of which was completely taken up with the king bed, and an alcove giving unto the bathroom. Because of the awkward layout, there was not much room to move around. Many a large hotel room gives a greater sense of space.
The fitness room is small and uninviting.
The obvious upside is the centrality of the hotel, right across from the Public Gardens. The restaurant is charming and convivial, well worth the visit. The wait staff is friendly, in sharp contrast to the front desk.
I parked in P2 and this meant carrrying my bag up stairs. I suggest unloading baggage before parking.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
My sincere apologies for the poor customer service you experienced. I'm disappointed we were not able to address your room / reservation confusion in a timely manner to your satisfaction. We are very proud of our historical hotel and do our upmost to maximize the space in all of our rooms. We are pleased to be able to offer a variety of rooms ranging from our Petite which we consider our value rooms to our larger more spacious suites. My apologies for the discomfort you experienced. I truly hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations and invite you to personally contact make to make your next reservation. We are planning to further invest in our product which will included added guestroom features which confident our guests will appreciate and enjoy. Thank you for recent visit and taking the time to share your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We loved staying at the Lord Nelson and walking around Halifax. The Citadel is close and the Park is right across the street. We were with a group, Saengerfest Men's Chorus of Boston, who performed at a concert in a church within walking distance. I ate at the bar/cafe before the concert for a quick dinner and it was fine. Our room was spacious with a view of the Park.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Park!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Pleased you enjoyed your guestroom and dinner in pub. We love our central location since helpful when everything is such a short walk away. Hope concert exceeded expectations and appreciate your decision to stay with us. Thanks for sharing your comments and please come visit us again when in Halifax.
NB, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This remains one of my favourite hotels in Halifax. I stayed here for just one night on business, but enjoyed a small but comfortable room with all of the amenities I enjoy in this well located hotel. I appreciate that my room preferences are kept on file, so I never have to repeat them when I make a booking. The guest rooms are spotlessly clean and the Aveda toiletries are a real bonus. I always look forward to my return here. It is an ideal location in the heart of downtown, and excellent service and value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you Dalry for sharing such great comments and for your loyalty to our hotel. Pleased to know you are satisfied with value received and always nice to receive comments from our regularly guest. Hope we will continue to home your "home away from home" when in Halifax and confident you will enjoy of plans to further renovate and enhance our product in the next several months.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a lovely old hotel looking over a beautiful park. It unfortunately is quite a long steep walk from the various attractions. The rooms were nicely appointed and meals at the restaurant were excellent and reasonably priced. My only complaint was the doormen. None offered me any help with my bags and on my three day visit only once was the door opened for me even though they were just standing around. Once I even came in soaked after walking up the hill in the pouring rain and they just ignored me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Appreciate the feedback and pleased satisfied overall with value received. I was very surprised and disappointed to read your comments regarding our Bellmen since agree clearly opportunities missed. I will share this feedback with and continue to develop our team to provide the level of service we are known for on a consistent basis. Hope you were able to relax, enjoy our central location and ask that you please come visit us again when in Halifax.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have advanced mobility issues. I was attending a Conference Board of Canada conference at the Lord Nelson. I had paid almost $ 900.00 for the one day conference. As I can't use parking garages and struggle with stairs, I was planning on taking a taxi. However, I went on their website and under 'accessibility' they proudly claimed they had valet parking to assist with those with mobility issues. I decided to take my car and use this service. When I pulled in and asked the valet for valet parking, he sternly asked me "are you a guest of the hotel?" I said yes, I was attending the day long conference. " I am sorry, valet parking is for guests of the hotel only". But I am a guest...I am attending the conference! " I'm sorry...for insurance reasons, you are not eligible for this". I explained my mobility issue to no avail. I then offered to 'register' at the front desk and provide a credit card but again, no. I was told..." there might be one or 2 spaces left in the underground parking". I had to find ground level parking 3 blocks away. Once at the conference, I tried to use the washroom but the huge conference rooms have no washrooms on that level. When I asked an employee about access to washrooms, he pointed to a long set of steep stairs up to their breakfast area OR down a short set of stairs, across the lobby, up a short set of stairs to a washroom with one facility in it that services the Bar, the Restaurant and the lobby. Before writing this review, I sent a communication to the General Manager on November 8, 2013. To date I have heard nothing from them..

Room Tip: If you need an accessible hotel, do not believe their web site...this is not one.
3 Thank JHR777
My sincere apologies for the poor impression we provided you. We do offer accessible parking in the parkade and offer washrooms on each level where we have meeting space. We do not offer valet parking to guests attending conferences that are not staying in the hotel however fully agree We should have done more to assist you. We also offer a private accessible washroom in our main conference room and apologize that you were not made aware of this convenient option. We are proud of our central location which includes nearby hospitals and believe we very accessible. This includes several fully functional accessible rooms, an assist elevator lift in our lobby, accessible ramp, several new wheelchairs which we provide guests on a regular basis.

Our General Manager did not receive any communication as noted in your article and would love the opportunity to further discuss this with you. My sincere apologies again for the poor service provided and hope conference exceeded expectations.
Rourkela, India
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two days for my business trip to Dal University. The room was clean but the size of the room is bit small compared to the standard. The corridor is very narrow with lots of 'L' turns which confused me to find my room some times. I feel that lift is not strategically location which take long time to reach my room. The help desk people are very co-operative. The place is very calm and quite; though located at business location of Halifax. Overall I am happy with my stay except the cost. You can get more comfortable stay with high standard of amenities with the same price at any place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your feedback and hope you found our central location and close proximity to Dalhousie convenient. I can appreciate your comments given our hallways are a bit long. We do offer a variety of different rooms that range from our Petite (value rooms) to large luxurious suites and believe our rates are very competitive and often less that our direct competitors. If helpful you can also upgrade the room reserved upon arrival for a nominal fee that would provide added space & comfort. We also offer a variety of packages and special promotions so hope you are on our list to receive these. Pleased you found staff friendly and hotel clean and ask that you please come visit us again when in Halifax.
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The standard queen bed room is definitely small. Still, it managed to contain all the usual necessities, including desk, easy chair, and full-length mirror, and had sufficient drawer and closet space. The bathroom, also small, made good use of limited space and the toiletries supplied were spa-quality (Aveeda). Things I liked most about this hotel were: 1. The particularly helpful attitudes of staff and management; 2. Windows that actually opened (although they'd be much more useful in summer than they were in November.) ; 3. The view overlooking the park across the street; 4. Indoor self-parking connected to the hotel (Did I mention it was cold, rainy and windy in November?) 5. A really good restaurant in the hotel - The Victory Arms Pub - which I will review separately.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
I can appreciate your comments since we do offer a various selection of rooms that vary in size. We have a few exciting ideas in hopes to make our few smaller rooms more inviting. Pleased room provided all the features and amenities needed. Thank-you for sharing comments regarding friendly staff, beautiful view, easy access to parkade and pleasurable restaurant experience. We are very proud of our service, product and staff so always nice to hear feedback like yours. Hope able to relax and enjoy our central location and ask that you please come visit us again when in Halifax.