“Not a bad choice amongst limited options”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is very much a middle of the road business hotel. Pretty functional. My room was large. The bed was comfortable and everything worked well. The staff were middle of the road, service was not great, but also not terrible.

Breakfast was truly horrible - avoid. Everything was overcooked and very limited choices.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank zaheergb

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids, 10,4 &3) stayed here On September 2,2012. We had room #824. The bedroom was separate from the siting area.Our bed was comfy and the room was spacious. There was 2 bathrooms. The one in the main area had the towel bar hanging off and it was very small. The bathroom off bedroom was also small. You couldn't get the door closed the mat had to be removed to closed door. Internet was very slow. Had to pay for parking. Don't think we will be back because for the money you can get 2 nights somewhere else with breakfast included.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

As noted by some other reviewers it happens often that you get sent to the
Paramount next door, even when you have clearly booked a specific type
of room at this hotel. This happened to us and we let it pass: anyone
can make a mistake. However, we returned a week later and the same
story repeated, and this time we had been clearly promised that we would indeed
get the room we had booked. Obviously this is happening systematically
and possibly as a deliberate a policy: so, don't get along with it when they
give you an "upgrade". It will be a less desirable room, and they are giving
it to you because they gave your room to someone else.

Naturally we kicked up a fuss and when the front desk person started
to shake we realized that a scene like this was common. We called the manager,
who apologized profusely. Our rate was cut and we were given free parking and
breakfast, not included in the initial booking, as well as the promise
that the next morning we would be given the correct type of
room we had booked. The next morning no one at the front desk knew
anything about it, indeed the new manager on duty also didn't (or pretended
not to) have any idea: we were said that the type of room we were
requesting was "fully booked" and said it was "a matter for reservations".

A big shouting scene followed. No, this was not a matter for reservations
it was a matter for the manager, and could they actually keep they word
once, and get some basic communication going between front desk, managers
on different duties, and reservations? When things were about to go over
the fence we were told to wait a few minutes, and miraculously were
transferred to the type of room we had booked. It's obvious that a policy
of dishonesty is in place at this hotel, and that the life of managers and
front desk is juggling disgruntled costumers, giving whoever shouts more
what they were actually promised in the first place. This is simply not
acceptable, unless you get a kick with shouting at people, which is not
out case.

This is a place full of character and deserving a 5 star. But the management
is so bad that it spoils the whole experience. Be ready to be cheated or
to shout. Better still, go somewhere else. It really isn't worth the hassle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joao M
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel from from Oct. 25-27, while attending open house at Kings College. I had requested a room with a view on an upper floor, I was given a room on the third floor with a view of the parking lot(room 342). The room was nice, but no Internet access (I could log on but it was so slow we could not check mail, or access any sites). I called down to front desk to request a new room and was told they were fully booked thru the week end and I could not be moved. We decided to make the best of it. We were able to use computers in the business centre, which is on the third floor.
On the second night I found what am sure is a bed bug in my daughters bed. I was able to get it into a plastic bag and take it down to the font desk. The manager on duty assured me she had been trained in such matters and it was not a bed bug. She did move us to the 8th floor (I guess they weren't fully booked after all). I wish I had taken a picture of the bug, I looked at pictures of bed bugs on the internet, and I am certain that's what it was. The new room was nice, still a view of the parking lot but the Internet worked. One compliant about the new room, it appeared clean, but I found old fries on the floor.

I was expecting some sort of discount on my bill for our troubles but no I was charged full price.

On my way home now will not be taking our stuff into the house before it is cleaned to avoid infesting our home.

Our daughter was granted early admission to Kings, we will not be staying at The Lord Nelson when visiting her.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank travelmomOntario
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

I apologize for your experience here at the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites. We take issues like this extremely serious and have ensured all of our staff has the appropriate training to handle such issues. The room in question has been thoroughly inspected and no other signs of insects have been found. To be on the cautious side your guest room and surrounding rooms have been treated by a Professional Pest Control Company. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as well as completing our online Guest Survey.

Yours in hospitality,
Michelle I

Reviewed October 25, 2012

A reservation was made for me at the Lord Nelson Hotel by the organization that had hired me for a recent business trip. I was given an Executive Level room on the 9th floor, which included free wireless and free "enhanced" continental breakfast.
I found my room to be clean, well-stocked with nice toiletries, and very comfortable. The queen bed and pillows in particular were just lovely. I appreciated that the window could open (partially) since I like having fresh air, and all the amenities were included in this room--including a cozy terry robe and slippers. (Oddly, there was one thing missing from this room--a box of tissues!)
The breakfast, served on the mezzanine level, included fresh fruit, an assortment of cereals and breads, and cold cuts and cheese (which I love, having spent quite a few times in European inns that also offer this), as well as yoghurt and dried fruits. Coffee and orange juice were included.
The hotel is in a great area, across from the Public Gardens, and near all kinds of shops and restaurants.
I wanted to write this review because perhaps the experience is different for people who have a "regular" room and those who have the executive rooms. I was quite pleased and very, very comfortable at the Lord Nelson and thanked my hosts for putting me there. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly as well. I would recommend it for anyone on a business trip as I was.

Room Tip: I was in an "executive level" room and it had many nice amenities. I don't know the co...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is great, my room was super confortable & clean with perks like a wonderful chocolate the 1st night and Aveda products in the bathroom ( loved that). Its location is excelkent, very central abd close to beautiful parks.
The only glitch was that I understood breakfast was included and on the 1st morning of my stay I discovered it was not and payed for what I thought was way overpriced. Two doors down from the hotel I found a wonderfull coffee shop and for the rest of my stay I wet there (1/3 of the price). Other than that it was a great experience, I would certainly go back.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lord Nelson in early October. We got a Groupon deal, so at least we didn't spend a lot of money to be disappointed. The lobby is really lovely and check in was fine. When we arrived at our room we were surprised at how small and underequipped the room was. The walls were paper thin and so were the towels. It was adequate but not at all what we were expecting. The hotel charged us for the room, even though we had prepaid with Groupon. After a bit of wrangling, they deleted the extra charge. It was an okay place to stay if you want to be near downtown. It wasn't as close to downtown as we were led to believe, but we enjoy walking so it worked out all right.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kazoomer

Thank you Kazoomer for posting your Review on TA. I apologize you were unhappy with the size of your guest room. Our European Style Petit Rooms are designed for an intimate atmosphere. On your next visit may I recommend you trying one of our Executive Room or one of our Suites.

Yours in Hospitality,