“small room”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed June 4, 2011

The room was very clean but small for two ladies. i asked twice for a larger room but never received one. Asked for a refrigerator, told it was twenty dollars per night and still never received one. Friends checked in later than I and received larger rooms, refrigerators and microwaves at the same price I was paying for a small room with one double bed. I asked which room would one get for the advertised price of $139. but did not receive an answer.
Also we could not get the temperature below 22 degrees C which is quite warm for sleeping. However we did not mention this to the staff so cannot comment on whether it would have been fixed. Elevators very slow so try for a room on a lower floor, we were on the nineth. However the hotel was well situated, quiet, comfortable bed for one, loved the aveda products but probably won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Lord Nelson is a lovely hotel across the street from the Public Gardens and around the corner from the Citadel. All of downtown Halifax is in walking distance and there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. It is tastefully decorated and has a very swanky hotel feel. I stayed in the Petite room which was fine for one person but would be too small for two. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night and found the prices reasonable and the food good.

My one complaint would be the noise. The heating/air conditioning unit in the room had quite a loud fan which would literally wake me up when it turned on. As well, the doors to the rooms were difficult to close and people would pull hard to close them, with the resulting door slamming noise echoing through the halls.

Room Tip: ask to be overlooking the Public Gardens
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sharon01011
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We read about the Lord Nelson in Frommers and as we drove into Halifax called to book a room. We were given an off-season discount. Everyone was pleasant and nice. We noticed that as we went to our room we passed a conference room but thought nothing of it. The second night we were there there was a LOUD party in the conference room. People were spilling into the hallway yelling to each other. We couldn't believe that they had placed guests on that same floor. When we called to complain, the hotel guest services said "we'll ask them to close the door". An hour later we called again, they told us "There isn't much we can do they are paying guests". My friend pointed out that we were paying for a night's sleep as well. She said they would discount our room. An hour later it was still loud in the hallway, we called an talked to the night manager who apologized and promised a discount on our rate. The party finally quieted down after 11 p.m.
The next morning, we went to the front desk to check out and they had no record of our discount. My friend was very firm and so the desk clerk disappeared to talk with her manager--who declined to come out and speak with us-- they finally said "Sorry, we don't usually put guests on the conference room levels, but you had a very good room rate, we can't do anything for you". My friend insisted so they comped our parking but it was an absolutely terrible experience. I have stayed in business hotels all over the world and have never had an experience like this. I would stay at any of the other hotels in Halifax before I stayed here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Lawrence_MacDonald, Reservations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Dear dcgirl4071;

I would like to first, thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay. Feedback, both positive and constructive, is a vital tool for us to maintain and improve on all our standards and practices. We strive to deliver legendary hospitality to all our guests. Unfortunately, in your case, it appears, we may have fell short in our goal to deliver you with a wonderful guest experience during your recent visit to Halifax. On behalf of the hotel, I do apologize for your frustration in this regard. We have taken your feedback and as a team, we are using it to adjust some of our current processes so that other guests in the future will not have a similar experience as you have.

Once again, I do apologize for your experience, and can assure you that we take this type of feedback seriously, and will do what we can to have our guests with a positive memory of their time with us.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

I went to Halifax for a family wedding and satyed at the Lord Nelson.
I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.
There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel which is very British to be honest but not bad fior taht as the service is very Canadian and so excellent.
The location was good and when I rented a car, the satff told me exactly where to go and what to do.

Room Tip: Recommend for centre of Halifax
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank BulldogGdansk

Dear BulldogGdansk;

Thank you so much for the kind words in your review. We are quite happy when we see this type of feedback where someone notes that our staff is "very pleasant and helpful". This is wonderful reinforcement for everyone that their dedication to guest satisfaction is being recognized.

I'm glad you enjoyed the meals at the Victory Arms Pub in the hotel as well. It does have a British charm, but as you most likely noticed, there is something for everyone on the menu.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Recently traveled to Halifax for a 4 day business stay and my hosts booked myself and several colleagues into the hotel. They "lost" our reservations initially and I spent about 35 minutes on the phone making certain that a room would be available on arrival. The hotel is fairly nice on the in and outside but the customer service and internet connections are terrible. The hotel staff insisted they would arrange for internet but they did not. For anyone who requires responsive, honest staff and a good internet connection forget this place. It did not help that I had several hundred email messages awaiting me when I returned to civilization.

Room Tip: ask for a nicer room, they have them
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Lawrence_MacDonald, Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2011

Thank you “sprigget” for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I would like to first apologize on behalf of the hotel given the issues you have documented in your review. I have attempted to get some further details around this by speaking with both the Front Office and Reservations staff to see if there was any gap in our process or anything with our system which lead to your internet issues. Although our goal is to ensure that your experience as a guest is the best it can be, it is obvious we need to address some issues around your stay.

If you would like to speak with me further about the details of your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at Lawrence@lordnelsonhotel.com as I would like to get some further detail.

Reviewed April 2, 2011

The room and service were great! I booked the smaller room which was still big enough for one person or even two. The only negative point was the fact that the room was really cold and the heating system was loud.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Lawrence_MacDonald, Reservations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Thank you JulD for your review of our hotel. We are very glad to hear that room and customer service was great, but I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel in regard to the heating unit in your room. We are always trying to isolate issues such as you have indicated in an effort to provide both the best service and best product, so we will certainly take your comments seriously and continue to drive for the best experience for our guests.

In the future, if you experience a similar situation, please do not hesitate to contact any member of our staff and we will make every effort to fix the issue right away.

Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband went to University in Halifax and when he was a poor student he would walk by the Lord Nelson and swear one day he would come back and stay. Fast forward 20 years and we decided to take a trip to the East Coast and the Lord Nelson was the first place we went.
The suite was beautiful, spacious and clean. The view of the park was lovely and the service was tops. The bartender in the lounge entertained us with his quick wit and the front desk staff were helpful and pleasant, even helped me with a wardrobe malfunction on my dress!
After all these years his dream came true and it was better than imagined. We would recommend this hotel to everyone and to all those students walking by each day, study hard, work hard and celebrate your achievements at the Lord Nelson!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

We really appreciate the kind words in regard to you stay with us. I have shared this with the staff of the hotel, as we take pride in our property as well as the customer service we provide. We hope you will come back and see us before another 20 years pass.