The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed December 11, 2008

This hotel is in a good location, within easy walking distance to great restaurants and the other many great things to see and do in downtown Halifax. The staff is reasonable friendly, especially the valet guys.
My issues were the "workout facility" is tiny, old and worn, with outdated equipment. It's obvious that they don't care about this area. I guess we all make decisions based on priorities. Secondly, and more importantly, my wife sat in the chair in the "living room" (all suite hotel) and discovered chocolate bar and chip wrappers and such that had not been cleaned up from the previous guests stay. Not impressed at all. I filled out their survey, and got an email back that they were sorry, and they would work on the problem....ok, but I'll stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank GaryMel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed October 1, 2008

Arrived at the Radisson late at night, as I had warned them I would, with my elderly father, tired and looking forward to sleep, to find that they had overbooked and were sending us 1/2 hour over the bridge to some hotel in the boondocks. They said they'd upgrade our room when we went back for the second night of the 2 night stay, but they didn't, nor did they pay the $25 cab ride back.

They did admit it was all their fault, but they obviously got a better offer for the room, and didn't care about our confirmation. The desk clerk said that he'd tried to get a room in Halifax for us, but with Elton John in town, there just weren't any. Don't know if this happens often, but I'm never going to give them the chance again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Roz58
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I was a bit nervous about booking at the Radisson given the mix of reviews, but the price we got was much better relative to the other big chains, so I decided to give it a try, particularly since the more negative reviews were several years old. We were not disappointed! We had a very large suite, in fact I would say it was huge. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom large and amply stocked with soaps and other amenities. The internet service worked well - no problems whatsoever. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We arrived at the hotel a few hours before check-in, but because our room was ready, they let us check-in early - no problem. The concierge was great - he provided us with a map and gave us several ideas for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that parking was included. The hotel location is great, within easy walking distance to the Halifax Harborfront. We had a hearty breakfast the next morning at Duffy's - the hotel restaturant. Prices were a bit hgh, but the food good and sweet potatoe hash quite tasty. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Be-Well-415
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed at the Radisson Suites Halifax for three nights in July 2008. The hotel is centrally located and an easy walk from all of the major tourist attractions and historical sites in the city, so long as you don't mind treking up some hills! We loved being less than two blocks from the harbour and with Citadel Hill only a few blocks in the other direction.

The suite was clean and comfortable, if a little dated in it's decor. It was made up nicely every day. Front desk and concierge staff were friendly and helpful with everything from directions to breakfast suggestions.

The pool and workout area are on the small side, but perfectly serviceable and a good place to unwind after a day of sight-seeing. The restaurant associated with the hotel serves a great breakfast, which is the only meal that we ate there, but was quite good and had excellent and knowledgable servers.

We had requested an upper floor with a harbour view when we booked 3 months in advance, but when we arrived were told that only third floor rooms were available and none that we were offered had a harbour view, which was really our only disappointment with the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We got the room we requested: King bed (Sleep Number bed), room overlooking the harbour, on high floor. Good size room. Centrally located in downtown Halifax. Very close to restaurants serving good breakfast. Walking distance to the harbourside market/ historic properties and to Halifax metro centre, where the Tattoo was held. We had a wonderful time in Halifax.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Really enjoyed our stay at this very convenient location, near to the waterfront. Staff very friendly, especially the valet parking attendants. Beds really comfortable!! (Sleep Number bed). Stayed for 3 nights and then returned (after travelling) for 2 more. The only disappointment was the withdrawal of the complimentary breakfast which had been advertised in all travel information guides.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank chittenden
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I have really mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, the staff is superb and I really liked that the hotel was close to everything in downtown Halifax. Shortly after my arrival in my room, the staff called to see if I was satisfied with the room (nice touch). The front desk staff was very responsive and provided useful information when I had questions. They were very happy, upbeat and helpful.

Now onto my concern. The key concern was with the noise (both outside the hotel and from other guests in the hotel). On my first night at the hotel, there was a ton of noise from partygoers leaving the pubs around 1 AM. Since I had a presentation to make the next day, this was very frustrating for me. When I mentioned this incident to the staff, they really didn't react or make any constructive suggestions (e.g. change of rooms etc.). On the second night, there was alot of noise both from the room next door and the room above (the walls are very thin).

So, it's up to you. If you are someone who enjoys late nights or who can sleep through anything, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business