The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Albany, Texas
“Fabulous Staff”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My friend and I traveled from Virginia and Texas to see beautiful Halifax, Peggy's Cove, and Lunenburg in all of their fall glory. We had a wonderful week's stay at Radisson in Halifax. It is such a beautiful place.
Jessica M, Kris H and Trevor P were fabulous. They felt like family by the time we sadly headed back to the states. Our room was a wonderful, comfortable retreat each night we returned from visiting the city or making day trips. Each and every member of the staff went out of their way to help us get to the destinations we chose during our stay. This experience has made us want to return to beautiful Canada and Radisson Halifax soon!
Sharon from Texas

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank DsGigi
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Good afternoon DsGigi,

Thank you for your visit and review! I am pleased to hear that you had a great week with us and enjoyed your time in Canada. Thank you also for your feedback and praise, as we appreciate it very much. We look forward to hosting you on that next trip to Halifax!

Have a wonderful day!

Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

By all accounts, the Halifax Radisson Suite Hotel ought to be a highly coveted destination. With massive suites decorated in the latest Euro-chic, two flat-screen TV's, raining shower heads and trendy Kohler fittings, what is not to like? Well, it helps if all that stuff WORKS, for starters...

I checked in early in the morning and was happy to find that my room was already available - a very nice touch for a traveller who has been in transit since the wee hours of the morning. My room was VERY cold (a senstion that was accentuated by the shiny grey floor tiles and the white plastic faux leather walls). I found and adjusted the thermostat. No response. I turned it up a bit more. Still nothing. Another couple of notches - now aiming for 30C - and the heater kicked in for about two minutes, then shut off again. Worse, the fan kept going and quickly reduced the temperature to something you might expect in a small-town Saskatchewan hockey arena in February. I assumed it was my incompetence with hotel thermostats. I chose 25C, set the thermostat on "AUTOMATIC" and left for my meetings.

When I returned several hours later, the room was still an ice-box, so I called the front desk. They sent a maintenance man who took the heating unit apart and discovered a faulty relay switch. While I was waiting to have that replaced I turned on the TV, only to find that it was not acting properly. Alerted to this, the maintenance man called the manager, who came up to see what was wrong. That resulted in more calls to off-site advisors, and ultimately the problem - a loose cable - was resolved. Meanwhile the new relay had been installed and the heat was on. I left for the evening, not bothering to point out to my support team that the fancy light over the high-bar was also kaput.

When I got back to my room a few hours later, it was evident that the heating unit had been running full blast ever since the maintenance man had departed. The suite was now like a white-walled pottery kiln. With no way to cool it down - the windows don't open - I simply had to sweat it out. Bizarre. To compensate me for the issues the front desk gave me a coupon for a free breakfast at the hotel that I couldn't use because it was time-limited to one day. I didn't press the issue. Why they didn't just move me to another room, I will never know.

One other little thing I noted was that the room is quite sound-proof from outside noises, but not from noise within the hotel. At one point I was entertained by what seemed to be either a drunken karioke party or a calf castrating convention - maybe both - going on in the hall outside my room.

For all that, the room was very comfortable (once the temperature issue sorted itself out) and the king-sized bed was one of the best I have found in a hotel, anywhere. Service was quick and friendly. Facilities - pool, gym, restaurant, bar - seemed entirely agreeable (although the bar area was pretty chilly). If not or the tech issues, Radisson would have gotten a 4 out of 5, at least - but little things - like a functioning heat source - do count.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Good morning WJP89,

I would like to thank you for your visit and review, as we appreciate both very much. I would like to again apologize for the heating and TV issues you had during your visit. This is certainly not the norm, nor is it acceptable. I believe you were not moved, as our staff felt the fix would be quicker than it was. Not to mention that you were in a Business Class corner suite, which are limited in number. I am happy to hear that we got the issues re-solved for you and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you also for your positive feedback and praise as we are very proud of what we have here at the Radisson Suite Halifax and I am glad you got to experience it.

All the best and we look forward to seeing you again!

United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Radisson Suite is a nice modern hotel. The staff were most welcoming (Amanda was particularly remarkable for being warm and helpful), which straight off gives you a positive experience. The suite was fantastic - very spacious, had enough cupboards and a roomy wardrobe. The bed was really comfy, had a nice sleep. You also get a view of the water which is excellent. The shower was also great. The pool was large enough to accommodate a few people but could do with a swim lane! The jacuzzi was fab. On the whole, the entire hotel was spotless and tastefully decorated. It is also a short walk from Spring Garden Road which is home to many quirky boutiques and cafes. Excellent location and a room worth paying for!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank R A
God morning R A,

I would like to thank you for your visit and the time you took to draft your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had an excellent stay. Perhaps we will see you again.

All the best!

Moncton, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,352 helpful votes
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for four nights, Nov 7-11 and absolutely loved the service and the hotel itself. Aron the concierge was very helpful with everything we needed and it was great to see him out at HalCon, the sci-fi convention we were in town for. We had our 9month old daughter with us and when we arrived we were upgraded to a suite on the 9th floor which was great. The additional space was helpful for us as baby clothes and toys seem to explode everywhere when you open their suitcase. Also with a stroller and a crib from the hotel those took up space too, with the extra space it allowed our little one more area to crawl and climb and prevented her from being easily bored which can happen in smaller rooms.

The hotel is newly renovated and it was close to everything we had to do in the downtown Halifax area. Since we were spending a lot of time at the convention centre, the hotel was close enough that we could walk back to let the baby have a nap or for a family nap. It was also a nice short stroll down the harbour front to see the boats and check out the market. Close to all the downtown restaurants and shops too, we didn't dine at the hotel but found some great options in the area when we were meeting up with friends from the convention.

Getting the Globe and Mail was a nice plus to have with my morning coffee, we checked out the pool a couple of mornings and that was quite refreshing.

Overall we had a great stay at the Radisson, all the staff were very friendly and helpful which is really nice when you have been driving for 3hours at night in torrential rain with a bored baby hollering in the back seat. I have been telling everyone about the hotel and we will definitely stay there again for HalCon 2014 or any Halifax trips before then.

The Watson Family

Room Tip: 9th floor suites have nice water view to watch the ships come in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank JGDynamo
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Greetings Watson Family!

Thank you for your visit and wonderful review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I trust the Hal Con event was equally enjoyable. I am sorry to hear that the weather did not make for a pleasant drive to Halifax; however, I hope the drive out after the weekend was more pleasant. We look forward to seeing you for Hal Con 2014 and we will be happy to get you another great room overlooking the water on our top floor.

All the best and have a stellar weekend!

Shediac, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nice modern motel, awesome shower head, comfy beds, nice pool area and nice/helpful staff. The shower even had a window that the blinds could be opened to see the ocean while you showered, pretty shnazzy.

Room Tip: Ocean view was great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank chris a
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Good evening chris a,

Thanks for the visit and review! I am glad you liked the shower experience. The feedback on our rainfall shower has been extremely positive. We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Eastern Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Every hotel I stay at, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. At this location, I made a mistake and posted a review before the end of my stay. This is my correction to that.

After just returning from a trip to the states, I was at this location and I thought, “Here we go again”. There were some minor things wrong like a dirty fridge, a dead remote and a left over hanger on the shower from someone else’s dry-cleaning.

What I failed to do was to wait for the response from the local staff to these concerns. After years of travel, I should be the first to say, every hotel cleaner is going to have an off day. Sure there are checks that can be in place but from time to time, these can get missed and in my case I had an early 1 PM check in to boot.

I want to congratulate the front desk team and especially Jessica who went out of her way to make sure that my concerns were addressed professionally and promptly. The fridge was sparkling when I got back to the room and I settled in for the later evening. I was a tad hungry and ordered a basic "Duffy's Classic Burger" ½ hour before the service ended for the night. Again it did not seem to be my night as the burger came with the burger warm, but the blue cheese slice was cold and un-melted on a cold bun. Along with this there was no salt for the fries and they were very bland. This meant the ½ way through; I just could not finish it.

The next day, I had multiple staff contact me to make sure that things were looked after correctly. The restaurant staff, I am sorry that I did not make note of her name, called and apologized for the meal and offered to make it right. I had just returned from a meal at my daughters choice of restaurants, Henry’s House and had even brought back desert. Thinking quickly, they offer a complimentary specialty coffee, which I thought was a touch of class.

Jessica caught me earlier in the lobby and personally apologized for the problems I had at that point and again offered to make it right which, through herself and the GM Jamie Bolduc, did so. Absolutely wonderful service and that personal down east caring that I never find elsewhere. i am sure it was Jessica that contacted the food staff to get sure i was satisfied. What great service.

I will add that I think I was in the same room as I had a few years ago and the renovations are first class. I love the suite design which is the same as before, of course, but they updated everything on the interior. The hardwood flooring is nice, still keeping carpet in the separate bedroom. The TV's accept HDMI so I can feed my Google movie’s which is a plus and the overall design was excellent.

As far as the unit itself, you could not improve on this hotel. Resort level has never been this good. The bed was to die for. Multiple pillows on the best mattress ever, made for a great sleep. The bathroom had two doors and offered a TV in the mirror and a shower that had a huge showerhead and still had plenty of pressure. Large enough that you could step in and out of the water flow as needed. Simply a wonderful start to the day.

I guess my overall feeling this trip was this; could it have been better? In on sense, yes, since I had a few minor things go wrong, but in the greater sense, no way. What really matters to me is the staff. If they care and look after you like they did here, then you could not ask for a better stay.

I tip my cyber hat and fully recommend this establishment to one and all.

Oh, I did not get the opportunity to use the pool / hot tub and exercise room, but I did go there and it looked very clean and welcoming. The exercise room had a number of elliptical machines which are my fav. ;-)

Room Tip: If you have anything, however minor, don't let it get under your skin or say, I just have t live...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank SteveEasternCanada
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Good Tuesday afternoon to you SteveEasternCanada!

I would like to thank you for your visit and review. I appreciate your comments and I would like to apologize to you again for our lack of 'attention to detail' on the guest room shortfalls you brought to our attention and for the temperature of your late night room service food. I am elated to hear that our staff 'made it right' for you and that you were more than pleased with the outcome. Regardless, these things should not have happened and for that I apologize.

Problem resolution is extremely important for us here at the Radisson, as we recognize and understand that we live in an environment where no is perfect. For me I am just happy we got to fix it prior to you leaving.

Thank you also for your praise and we look forward to having you again.

Best regards,

Jamie

PS I hope you enjoyed your time in Halifax with your family.
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I used to stay at the Radisson Suite Hotel in Halifax back in the early and mid 2000's when I traveled to Halifax a lot and I always had a great stay. I just recently returned to Halifax for the first time in a number of years and could not get over the new renovations. The hotel lobby is modern and fresh, the rooms were unbelievable (great lighting, fixtures, furniture) and the size of the rooms are impressive (as they have always been). We enjoyed the pool and hot tub and had a great time deciding on what number was the most comfortable for our number beds. I can't imagine anyone staying at another hotel if they're headed to Halifax. You won't regret booking at the Radisson.

Big shout out to Amelia at the front desk. She was a burst of positive energy and was always cheerful and helpful. Someone like that is at the front of any successful hotel, so keep her around!

Only constructive feedback: Since there are no grocery stores within walking distance (at least reasonable walking distance in cold weather) it seemed strange that there were no vending machines with food on the floors. The pantry by the lobby was lacking and it means you have to go into the lobby when you want a snack.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Jay T!

Welcome back to both Halifax and the Radisson Suite Hotel! It was great to have you again and we appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the new look. We are very proud of our hotel and staff and Amelia is certainly full of positive energy. I will be sure to pass along your praise.

I apologize for the lack of vending, outside of pop and ice, directly on the guest floors. Having one central pantry location in the lobby ensures proper stocking and freshness. Regardless, we are happy to deliver directly to your guest room if you prefer.

Thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again real soon.

Cheers,