“Good downtown hotel”

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Sarnia, Canada
“Good downtown hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel close to downtown halifax. Clean rooms, looks all like brand new. The windows overlooking the bay needed some cleaning from the outside. Would go back if in the area. The valet service should be advertised a bit more, we didn t know about it, and parked some were else already.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank lb4092
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Good morning Ib4092,

Thank you for your visit and review. Yes, we have just undergone a major complete renovation and are very pleased wit the outcome. The exterior window cleaning is scheduled to be completed soon. I apologize about the valet offering and that you could not take advantage of it. We look forward to being your hotel of choice the next time you are in Halifax.

Best regards,

Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Brantford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the moment you walk through the door until you check out, you are warmly greeted and assisted. Expect very nice decor, a beautifully decorated room (we had a suite), and knowledgable staff. We were very pleased and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle S
Greetings Michelle S,

Thank you for your visit and great review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Whenever I need to stay in Halifax, the Radisson is at the top of my list. If they have a room sale in my price range I always book it. The location is excellent and even before the renovations, the rooms are superb. The staff is always helpful.

The suites seem smaller than before (but still more than adequate) and on the website it seemed like there were now suites and normal rooms, which I don't remember there being before. If that matters to you, make sure to double check.

This was my 'worst' stay, but even then it was better than experiences at most other hotels. The bathroom ceiling was leaking in the morning and I'm sure they would have been most accommodating, but we were checking out so I'm not sure what happened with it. (They mentioned it was a problem with their '05 rooms)

My only 'disappointment' was more for the management than myself (it didn't affect my stay). We were told we were the first ones to stay in 305 since the renovation. If that's the case, I hope they got a discount from their contractors. The floor and a wall paneling were scratched and there was more evidence of shoddy workmanship that must have been left behind after the final details were completed.

There was also some confusion over my Aeroplan card. It's always been accepted. Last time I visited I was told it couldn't be taken because I booked on expedia and this time, after booking on the radisson site, they wouldn't take it all, even though they're still listed on the Aeroplan site.

BOTTOM LINE: I've stayed here many times and I have always recommended it, if it is within someone's price range, and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Waterfront view is wonderful! Make sure you double check your room type.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AuroraLee1013
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Good morning AuroraLee1013,

Thank you for your visit and review. I am glad to hear we are always at the top of your list for accomodations when visiting Halifax. Thank you for your praise on our renovations and staff. As a point of clarification the sq footage of the room you were in did not change with the renovation. We did add two more suites per floor, but these 'studio suites' were made from two very large suites and still boost over 400 sq feet.

I apologize for the leak you experienced in your room. I also apologize for the communciation you recieved about being the first guest in the room post renovation. I can assure you that all rooms are checked and re-checked prior to guest occupancy and no room should have been turned over for guest use unless it was 100%. Although your experience is not what either of us would wish for, we are very proud of the workmanship and final product.

I apologize also for the lack of recognition with Aeroplan and I will be sure to follow up with the staff so they are properly educated on his program. Aeroplan is available through our Carlson Club rewards program.

I look forward to your next visit and if I can be of any personal assistance for you, just let me know.

Have a great week!

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved this Radisson and we have had some not great experiences with other ones. Staff were friendly at the front desk as well as the gentlemen at concierge. We parked the car and left it for two days.You can walk all over downtown from here and head back to the room to rest then carry on. Only drawback for me was the laundry was not available - I think it was still under construction. The concierge staff whipped out their iphone and told me where the closest one was. Room was very clean - 8th floor and we had a view of the harbour. Will be back and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that faces the harbour or the side that you get a harbour view too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy G
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Good morning Kathy G,

I would like to thank you for your visit and review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that our coin laundry was not operational. This is something we hope to have in place this week as we finish our renovations. We look forward to hosting you again!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Am in town for a conference and every time I return to my room the key will not work. This has happened everyday and twice on another day. Very frustrating. I am on the 7th floor which makes it even more annoying. The room is fine and yes renovations are taking place which delays the use of the lift. Renovations are due to carry on through to the end of July as I was informed by one of the workers on site. I have a great view of the harbor from my suite. Saw queen Mary 2

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Please accept our apologies, Ivorys101 for the issues with your guest room door lock. I understand your frustration and am at a loss to explain what happened. Part of our renovation included the installation of a new guest room key lock system. This is not representative of the experience we wish you to have. I apologize again and look forward to a better visit next time.

Best regards,

Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We arrived late on Canada Day hungry and tired from traveling all day but the staff was quick to respond. They were giving us ideas and calling restaurants and bars for us to find food. The property was beautiful newly renovated and very very clean. It had a pretty good location by the bars and maritime museum by the harbor. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Morgan C
Morgan C,

I would like to thank you for your visit and wonderful review. I am glad to hear that the staff made your stay extra special. We look forward to hosting you again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed in the raddison the past week and i had an ok stay. The rooms were cleen but we had to wait almost 10 minutes for an elevator because workers were using them to transport mirrors,
kichen appliences, etc. The beds were uncomforable. I went swimming and the showers were out of order so i had to go up to my room and get a shower. The showers in the room were rain showers which didnt give any powerful water. They asked if i wanted valet parking but all that was was a parking lot of rocks andsand,so i parked eleswhere. Other then that,it was a preety good stay. 3 stars.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank tyler212
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you Tyler212 for your visit and review. I apologize for the construction use of one elevator and that you felt that the bed was uncomfortable. I am pleased to inform you and our fellow readers that our pool showers are back in service. Unfortunately valet parking is the only parking option available to our guests, outside of guests making their own parking arrangements like you did. With regard to our valet parking, it is in a secure and fenced compound which is monitored and only accessed by our staff.

Regards,