The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Will never stay there again. Parking is an issue. The photo that is on top of the page is all the parking they have. 2 spaces that's it. Valet parking is all they have and you are forced to use it. Made our long drive even worse. If you have young kids its stressful just trying to get checked in. I recommend staying outside downtown. Parking is the worst I see in any city I have been in the world.

• Stayed: September 2012
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Hello, perfect_strangers-
Thank you for sharing the details of your experience with us. We truly value your feedback as the satisfaction of our guests is extremely important to us.
It is our goal to not only meet but exceed our guests' expectations. I regret to hear we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.
As you mentioned our hotel features a valet service for our guests. I am sorry to hear of your frustrations surrounding the parking. Our valet team members are always available and happy to help our guests unload and safely park their vehicles upon their arrival to make checking in a quick and smooth process. Once you're settled in your suite if there is something you have forgotten in your vehicle we are more than happy to retreive it for you. Because we want your stay to be as relaxing as possible our team will do all within our power to ensure that is provided to you.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location is perfect, the staff was very helpful and you might even say entertaining, couldnt do enough. The room was nice and big, the bathroom couldn't be faulted ( it was all a bit dated but no biggie).The problems were two: though the whole hotel is non smoking our room had obviously been smoked in, and more than once. It had that stale stink one used to associate with bars and a cigarette burn on the easy chair. Also, the beds were 'sleep number' beds which I found completely baffling. I lowered the number thinking to get a softer bed only to find myself having to climb out to get to the other side of the mattress. Quite funny if I wasn't trying to sleep after a long flight and time change. The hotel did give us free breakfasts after we complained about the smokie smell, which was a nice gesture. I'd rather have had a restful night though.

• Stayed: September 2012
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers! It is always great to hear from our guests.

I regret to hear of the frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. You are correct, our hotel is a 100% smoke free environment. I am disappointed you found one of our suites had been smoked in. I have passed this concern on to our housekeeping team, so we may work to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future.

I am also sorry to hear of the frustration you encountered with the bed in your suite. I am pleased to announce we have begun an extensive renovation process that will see all areas of the hotel receive a fresh face. Also as part of the renovation process we will be transitioning from the Sleep Number beds to traditional style mattresses. We certainly understand how important a restful, comfortable night's sleep is. I regret we were not able to provide that to you on this occasion. I am confident once our renovations are complete you will be pleasantly surprised!

I do hope we are able to welcome you back on your next visit to Halifax!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights, loved having the suite with a toddler. It was pretty good room but it looked pretty dated though. Stayed on the third floor and could hear every single car, truck, bus passing by. We had to valet our car, so no easy access when you need to get something from it. Loved having the microwave in the room, and a little fridge. Very close to the pier for entertainment.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Hello, Oba-12!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers.
I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed our spacious suites and close proximity to our great waterfront area!

I am sorry to hear of your frustration surrounding our valet service. Should a guest need to retrieve something from their vehicle our great valet team is always ready and happy help.

We are excited to announce we have begun an extensive renovation process! As part of this process all areas of the hotel, top to bottom, inside and out, will be given a fresh face!

We look forward to giving you a warm Radisson welcome the next time you are in Halifax!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in August 2012 while travelling on business. Have stayed in this hotel once before about a year prior.

They have sleep number beds, which I normally find to be kind of a pain unless you "know your number" before arriving. I guess the guest before me had a similar sleep number or something this time, because I slept well.

The suite itself is big and came with a bar fridge and microwave. The room was kept very clean on a daily basis, the food from room service was good, the Internet service was quick and stable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location to the harbour, tourist attractions and the pub scene.

On the down side, I did find the hotel a bit dark and outdated. It's a non-smoking hotel and I think it has been for a while, but there were cigarette burns in the carpet in my room in several places. They could use an update to the carpet, the lighting and the number of electrical outlets.

Otherwise, good stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Hello, lone_palm! Thank you for sharing your review with us and other travellers! It is always great to hear from our guests.

I am happy to hear you found our Sleep Number bed to be comfortable, providing you with a good night's sleep!

I am happy to report we have begun an extensive renovation process that will provide all areas of the hotel with a face lift! The concerns you have shared regarding lighting and decor will be addressed as part of this process. Once the renovations are complete I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Suites are great...very spacious. Bedroom is separate from the living room area which also has a pullout. Room has a mini fridge and microwave. Breakfast was vg. Valet parking is off site. Call ahead for your car to give them time to go get it. Can get noisy at times esp if near the elevator and also noise from the street level when the bars get out. Location to many things is also vg.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello, gymmom3b!
We appreciate you taking the time to share you great review with us and other travelers! It is always nice to hear from our valued guests.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us! I am glad to hear you found our spacious suites to be comfortable, and our location to be convenient. I am also pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast experience in Ryan Duffy's. I will certainly pass your feedback on to the restaurant team.

Thank you again for taking the time to share with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halifax!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel had a great location. We booked on thier site with the CAA rate and found it cheaper than booking with Expedia. It also gave us the option to place in a request for a high room with a harbour view (which we recieved!). They also had no problem with our early check-in. (Around 1 PM) The negatives were that the room was outdated and that our king suite only had windows in the bedroom, making it less desirable to take advantage of the living room side. The staff were friendly and the valet parking quick and efficient(parking was $20 a night tacked on to the bill) The pool seemed overclorinated but we havent been in a public pool in a while so that could just be ud.

Room Tip: Harbour view! Ask about the windows in the room as well, I'm sure not all are as lacking as was...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Hi Kaitlyn S! Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us!

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our great location! It is nice to not have to go far to have access to some of Halifax's great attractions!
We do our best to accommodate special requests, such as early check in and harbour views. I am happy to hear on this occasion we were able to accommodate both for you.

I hope we are able to welcome you back on your next visit to Halifax!

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Location cannot be beat. One block from waterfront, great restaurants and pubs all around, can walk everywhere. Super friendly front desk staff. Rooms size able with sitting area, mini fridge, microwave. I had a corner room with all windows with view of water (no extra charge). Great lodging overall.

• Stayed: August 2012
Erin P, Front Office Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great review with us and other travelers!

Our great team strives to provide each guest with a superior hospitality experience. I am so pleased to hear you experienced exactly that!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious suites! They are nice to come back to at the end of a great day of exploring our beautiful city to unwind.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Halifax!