“just above average I'd say”

Atlantica Hotel Halifax
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived to this hotel early but staff was very friendly and nice to store our luggage in a secured room before our rooms were ready. We were staying for 5 nights here so the staff gave us a lot of great suggestions of restaurants nearby. There is a laundry room (sadly only one cleaning and one dry machine) which is especially for my group since we've been traveling from city to city. There is a nice size pool and a small gym available.

Rooms are decent, unfortunately you cannot open the windows (I prefer fresh air circulation). The pillows... they are just terrible. I usually have my own but left it in the previous hotel so had to rely on the ones this hotel provides. I also had to ask the front desk staff several time before they sent my room a fridge.

Location of this hotel is great, right in the heart of Halifax. During my stay, there were a couple of business functions so if anyone's company is interested in staying here... there were a couple of conference spaces available. Hotel is close to many restaurants and supermarket. I do have to say the decor is a wee bit outdated, I hope they decide to redecorate a bit soon. The restaurant inside called Seasons, was one of the better assets of this place. But sadly, the internet service provided is just terrible... please fix this, especially those of us staying for business.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Atlantica Hotel Halifax

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had a good stay at the Atlantica, but there are small details that could have made it better. The location could be more central, the ventilation is not the best and the air is quite dry in the hotel. The staff is very helpful, and they try their best to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before, and have always booked through Priceline or Hotwire, usually staying with a group of friends to go out. This time, my husband and I decided to upgrade at check-in, because there were no rooms available with a single queen/king size bed, only doubles, and we were there for a little getaway. I had no problem paying the $25 +tax charge, and was told the room we would be staying in was newly renovated with a nicer view. While there was nothing wrong with the room, it wasn't exactly what one would expect when told the floor had undergone renovations. You could see where the carpet had been cut to meet the wall, there were chips in the porcelain in the bathroom, the curtain didn't pull across all the way, etc. All of that being said, the room was very clean, and we had a great nights sleep. (Which in my opinion is more important than updated features). In hindsight, I wouldn't have upgraded as the rooms we've stayed in before at the Atlantica were just as nice as the one we upgraded to. The location is ok, it's not right in the heart of downtown like the Courtyard Marriott or Westin, but was about a 10-15 minute walk to Market Street where we had supper. We walked home as well, around 10:30 and felt very safe. The staff at the front desk (Carlos and another woman) were very helpful and lovely to deal with. Parking is $17, which in my experience is to be expected when staying in Halifax- it is what it is. We had one drink at the restaurant after returning from supper, the staff was friendly and the view of the city was beautiful. We would stay again, but probably not if we were looking for a romantic getaway as it's really nothing special.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother upgrading, as the rooms we've stayed in before were just as nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

There was nothing wrong with this hotel. Just nothing exceptional. It's an old Holilday Inn that has rebranded. Service was good, the breakfast was overpriced and ordinary, and the parking was pricey. Rooms were comfortable but the heater was either hot or cold all night. Like I said...nothing exceptional.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CPFamily_5
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Overall great spot very clean, nice comfy beds, nice shower lots of hot water. If I was to complain a bit it would be no mini fridge (Rm 811) and it was very hard to check in on a Sunday afternoon a little early. I tried at 130 then 230 and finally at 305 they had a room. Maybe the place was packed but it sure didn't look like it. I blamed it on the good deal from Priceline for the price we paid we weren't getting an extra minute! Also 19$ to park seemed like lots for being so far away from downtown. Its about 7$ for a taxi to the waterfront area but we did the walk back from The Metro Center in about 12 minutes. Bar and Restaurant have good service and a nice panoramic view.
Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a better view of the city.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have stayed at the Atlantica hotel several times over the past five years and it is consistently good. The staff are nice and accommodating.

The restaurant was very good, but maybe a little over priced, with very small portions. The restaurant service was very good though. The views from the restaurant are wonderful. It would be nice to have a ten or fifteen percent discount in the restaurant for guests to encourage them to dine there.

We always enjoy the pool and fitness centre.

The beds are comfortable and the décor is nice. We always ask to have a room away from the ice machines though because they are the loudest ice machines that we have ever heard.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the ice machine. The ice machines are very loud.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for two days and it was a very comfortable stay. The beds were very comfy and the rooms were extra clean. Great staff , and made a point to always have a smile on their face. Also, having fresh lemonade in the lobby was a nice touch. Would like to have a mini fridge in the room. Restaurant menu a bit small but food is great.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple