“Very comfortable, good location, excellent staff”

Atlantica Hotel Halifax
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently spent a weekend at the Atlantica while visiting family in Halifax.

I found the rooms to be large and well appointed. Towels were huge and fluffy and the robes in the rooms looked brand new. The beds were extraordinarily comfortable and free wifi worked well.

We found the the staff to be really friendly and helpful which was a definite plus.

Location is central, across the street from Halifax Commons and a short walk to Dalhousie University.

Public areas seemed a little tired, but I would be back for the quality of the rooms and staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is very well-situated in a beautiful part of the city, and it has great amenities, including an indoor pool and fitness room. I wasn't able to get breakfast on my schedule (arrived late and had to leave around 7:00am), but was glad to have breakfast available. All in all, very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I came to Halifax to see my boyfriends band perform and I arrived a few days early. They referred me to use a shuttle to get to the hotel which saved me a lot of money it's about a 30 min drive from the airport. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and most of all it's in a very walkable location and near everything you need. I felt very safe and comfortable walking around at night by myself. Halifax is a very charming city and so easy to get around without a car. Would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Imagine my excitement when I scored a 79.00 per night rate through Hotwire at this hotel for a three night stay on business. I am still here now. After discovering where I would be staying (as many of you travellers may know....you only find out where you are going to stay AFTER the purchase), I eagerly searched for the hotel online and was pretty impressed that my three day trip in what was classified as a **** star hotel was going to cost under 300. The online photos showed a lovely contemporary place with large beds and what appeared to be impressive linens. I expected the same upon check-in.
Well....here is the catch. When the receptionist checked me into a room with two double beds (really?? who sleeps in doubles anymore? It's a glorified twin - lets be honest), I asked for a larger bed at which time I was told that it would cost an additional $45.00 per night. I don't think so. Then, upon further questioning, I was told that there weren't that many extra rooms anyway because of a conference/event that was in town. I took my keys and went up to the room on the 9th floor (which I was told had a "spectacular" view of the common). Upon opening the door (cue music of a sad clown face), the room was no better (and perhaps not even as nice) as a Best Western Plus or newly renovated Days Inn for the same price. Tacky pine furniture, typical lamps, cheesy wallpaper, old carpets and an open closet. Overhead lights didn't even work. The only thing not "common" were the Aveda bath products which I will take home (thank you very much) and put in my guest room. In addition, our room happened to be connected to the room next door by a door (that could be locked or unlocked if you needed it for large families etc....). Was it sound proof?? No......
So, night number one was spent listening to screaming children (no embellishing here....this went on from 12:30 am to 5:14 am), the occasional parental plea, some farts, toilet flushing, door slamming and arguing. Bliss.....
In a sleep-deprived fury I called downstairs and made my case: put me in a decent room tomorrow or don't rent out the room beside me. Plain and simple.
I have learned the hard way (and this is good to know) that Hotwire rooms are quite often sub-standard. They get you in, put you where they can't put anyone else without massive complaints (near the elevators, in connecting rooms with strangers, double beds etc......) and then tell you to pay 45 dollars more a night to get a queen. THIS is not good practice. If you come to this hotel, INSIST on a room with a queen in a decent room, call them out on their Hotwire tactics and nag the hell out of them if they say "no" and put you in double where you can't possibly sleep with your partner/spouse unless you are a Lilliputian and where you are kept awake all night. As you have already paid for the room....you are entitled to get what you were presented.....a FOUR STAR stay.

Here is the irony, the SEASONS restaurant downstairs (part of the hotel) is one of the best restaurants I have EVER eaten in. Had our meal been in NYC or Toronto, it would have easily exceeded 500 dollars. Reminiscent of Alinea in Chicago and Eleven Madison Park in NYC (I kid you not), the meals were without exaggeration......the best ever. With an "east meets west" flair and a farm-to-table philosophy celebrating Nova Scotian bounty, every bite was a taste celebration. Try the Chicken Sous-Vide, the duck starter, the marinated romaine and the gluten-free chocolate dessert. Their award-winning St.Paulin burger was also incredible. The ambiance is also formidable and juxtaposed with the lobby of this hotel which, at best, can only be described as "Leons meets Holiday Inn". The restaurant is the only thing that makes this hotel 4 star. Frankly, I would give Seasons a 5 star rating and a Michelen Star if I could. Simply divine.

In closing, I have two more nights here in "luxury land" and we'll see how it goes. Be prepared for 17 dollar a night parking and don't expect anything fancy here. If you can get a good rate through an off-site service then go for it.....but don't let that allow them to throw you into a crap room. You pre-paid, you are a customer and you are entitled to sleep comfortably.

Room Tip: If they give you doubles, tell them to take a hike. Doubles are archaic, uncomfortable and not condu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mistura
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We certainly appreciate all guest comments. I was very pleased to hear that you found Seasons by Atlantica to be an exceptional dining experience. We are extremely proud of our culinary and service team who are committed and passionate about providing our guests with modern, progressive and delicious menus utilizing fresh, local ingredients, and presented with creative flair.
It was, however, disappointing to note that the guest room experience did not meet your expectations. We do value all our guests, no matter what channel they choose to use when making reservations. Guestroom inventory provided through some channels, such as Hotwire, does feature our Atlantica standard guestrooms. Guests have an option to reserve a standard run of the house room where they may receive a king or two double beds at check in, or for a nominal additional fee, generally $10 per night, guests are able to guarantee their choice of room with one king bed or two double beds. We do also offer guests who reserve through Hotwire an opportunity at check in to upgrade to our premium guestrooms. Our Atlantica Gold rooms which offer one king or two double beds are recently renovated and additional amenities such as complimentary bottled water, in-room fridge, a wider selection of Aveda bath products etc. Also available, are the Executive level guestrooms. For a $45.00 additional fee, these rooms which feature predominately one king bed also include full hot breakfast daily, complimentary North American long distance calls, VIP turndown service, complimentary daily appetizer in Seasons lounge in addition to the gold level package. A super value-added offering.
Again, we appreciate your business and thank you for your feedback. We do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Best Regards
Colleen Forward

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night when there was an art event happening in downtown Halifax. The location was great, close to the Citadel and some restaurants down the street. Also, the room was spacious and beds were comfortable. There were even some Aveda bath products provided. The major issue we had was with the continental breakfast. The selection was very limited and the fruit salad wasn't fresh. The fruits tasted sour and didn't appeared washed. It was very expensive ($17/person) and I wouldn't have paid that kind of money if it wasn't included with the room rate. One thing that customers should also keep in mind is to not park across the street in the empty lot. It's a private lot and I received a ticket for making that mistake. There were no clear signs in the lot, nothing to block it off and it's as if they were inviting cars to get ticketed/towed. The only options are to pay an expensive $17 to park in the hotel underground or find somewhere else down the street.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rayge2k
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night while in Halifax for Nocturne. We had a pleasant enough stay, but the hotel is clearly showing it's wrinkles as it gets older. Overall, I was happy with the deal we got (we got the room for just under a hundred dollars), but I wouldn't have been happy had I paid full price.

Pros:
-Easy access by car and parking on site (17 per day)
-Large room to spread out in
-Very quick hot heat when you turn it on
-Great shower with lots of hot water

Cons:
-Older property that is showing it's age
-Really cruddy pillows on the beds
-I found it a touch noisy and was woken up a few times by hotel guests in the hallways returning from a wedding downstairs
-Although still walkable, it's outside the downtown core if that is where you want to be

Room Tip: The high floors have some great views! We asked for an upper floor and got a nice view from our roo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had to stay here one night due to airport closure. Room was very crowded with 2 double beds - they had no queens. Food service was appalling. We had to wait an hour before food arrived and admittedly got our wine free as a result but it wasn't how we wanted to spend our time. Same thing at breakfast next morning. Food was cold, unappetizing and ver expensive. Hotel is about a half hot walk to centre so not a great location either.

• Stayed: October 2012