“A Nice Stay....”

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Halifax, Canada
“A Nice Stay....”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the Atlantica Hotel in Halifax and I have to admit I was impressed. I stayed on the 15th floor for my one night visit and had no concerns. Check in was smooth and the agent was quite friendly. Breakfast the next morning was "OK" - everything seemed to be a bit over the top for me.... I was just looking for some bacon and eggs but I had more ramekins, dishes, cups, spreads, cutlery, etc on my table than I would have ever needed. Overall a pleasant stay in another great Halifax hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget.... they have a pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2011

My father recently had open heart surgery and my mother and I needed a hotel during our stay in Halifax. The Atlantica offered us a special rate for family members of patients, gave us free parking, and was only 5 minute walk to the hospital.

We were consistently impressed by the caring attitude of the staff towards us, often offering us (often complimentary) extra services. The manager was also very understanding of our circumstances and was willing to negotiate the rate when our stay ended up being extended.

As for the hotel, it was very clean, quiet and ideally located. The restaurant was also excellent.

This was an exceptionally comfortable and convenient place to stay during a very difficult time. Bravo Atlantica!

Room Tip: The sixth floor was very quiet when we stayed there. Try to get a room near the centre of the hall...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan M
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I booked a room at the Atlantica on Expedia. The main reason for choosing the hotel was the location as I was having eye surgery at the nearby Halifax Vision Centre on Chebucto Road.

We arrived at the hotel around 8:30pm on December 8th, 2011 (Thursday). When I walked into the hotel lobby to check into our room my initial thought was that it was a very nice hotel. After checking in I went back to our vehicle and proceeded to park in their underground parking for an additional fee of $17.00 per night.

We proceeded to find our room, which was pretty easy to do from the underground parking. We opened the room and turned on the lights and had immediate disappointment. The first thing we noticed in the room was the ceiling which appeared like it was falling down and had a serious water leak previously. After the ceiling our sights went to the curtains which were completely wrinkled with the hems coming out of the bottom. The 2 armchairs in the room where so dirty the arms were black. The wallpaper in the room was lifting at the seams in many places. We turned on the television to find the reception on the television was snowy on many of the channels. We considered complaining; however, with a 7:30am surgery appointment we just wanted to get settled. Our main concern was that the beds and linens were clean, which they were.

I got up early the next morning to get ready for surgery, had a shower, only to discover the hair dryer wouldn't work without resetting the breaker several times. I attempted to call the front desk to complain and found the "Guest Services" button on the phone wouldn't work. I then used the "Room Service" button on the phone and asked them to transfer me to the front desk which they did....only to hear an endless ring that was never answered.....I gave up and went to my surgery wih wet hair.

Apart from our obvious frustrations mentioned above there were a few good things with our stay as well. The beds in our room were very comfortable and clean. The hotel seemed to be quiet in our area which was nice as following surgery I slept alot during the day. The elevators were quick and readily available. The location was only 5 minutes away from the eye clinic and close to grocery stores, shops and restaurants.

We also happened to see relatives at the hotel during our stay. We inquired with them about their room and were surprised to hear theirs was very nice. It would appear that the hotel uses these "below standard" rooms to give to the people booking rooms on sites like Expedia and Hotwire. When checking in the hotel employee mentioned "hotwire" a few times and even wrote HOTWIRE on our key card. While I can understand their logic doing this I don't think they have considered the impact this could have. For example I come to Halifax quite often for personal and business purposes. If I would have had a more desireable stay I very likely would have used this hotel in subsequent visits; however, after this stay I most likely will not stay here again nor would recommend anyone else to do so.

I have included photos we took during our stay. As you will see this room is in immediate need of renovation and new or professionally cleaned furniture.

Room Tip: Do not accept the 6th floor!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CoolCanuckChick
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I do want to sincere apologize for the less than satisfactory condition of your guestroom. We do have a detailed ongoing maintenance and deep cleaning program in place, but certainly based on your comments, it does seem that your room was missed in this process. Our maintenance and housekeeping team are very proud of the work they do and the standard of product quality that is provided to our valued guests and they will most certainly be taking immediate steps to correct the situation you describe.
All our guests are extremely important to us regardless of how or where they make their reservations. Any notation regarding Hotwire on the guest key pack is only there to indicate that the room has been prepaid by Hotwire and certainly not to indicate any difference in service levels or product offered. We will, based on your comments regarding the possible guest impact of this procedure be revisiting this process immediately.
I definitely appreciate your frustration and disappointment and do hope you will have an opportunity to return for a stay much more in keeping with our usual levels of service and product quality.
Best Regards,
Colleen Forward
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Comfortable stay, extremely friendly staff that checked me in and the restaurant staff were the absolute top notch garnish on an already tasty treat.

The beds are extremely comfortable, spacious rooms, HDTV's, free wireless internet and AC/Heating in each room. I'm incredibly pleased with the hotel. It's not the "most" up to date room I've ever had, but it's not at the point of needing upgrading yet.

Close to downtown and what was even more handy for me was it was 2 blocks from my office. Love this hotel and will definitely stay here again, even if it's just for the restaurant.

Room Tip: I was in #301, I loved it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sean D
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thank you so very much for your kind comments. Our restaurant staff; really our entire team are extremely committed to providing our guests with service excellence. So, I am very appreciative that you have recognized them and shared this experience with your fellow travelers.
Complimentary wireless access is a standard in all guestrooms, meeting rooms and public area. This is one of the many ways we are “Downtown Different”. We have been receiving so much favourable feedback on our beds that we are now able to arrange for our guests to purchase them. So, anyone interested in a great bed should contact the hotel directly.
On your next visit, you may want to consider trying out the newly renovated Atlantica Gold Floors (Floors 11 & 12) which in addition to being totally redecorated include some additional upgrades or our Executive Level (Floors 14 & 15) which offer even more premium additions such as full hot breakfast, complimentary North American long distance calls and a complimentary appetizer daily in Seasons lounge.
We look forward to having you with us again in the near future. Thanks again for your business.
Best Regards
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My Husband and I stay at the Atlantica Hotel every December for our Anniversary. We are so impressed with the staff, they all go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. In fact this year Keri, the lovely Guest attendant gave us an upgrade to a beautiful room on the 15th floor. Wow! What a view, and the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it. In fact we ordered room service for breakfast because I wouldn't get out of the super comfy bed. All in all another great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
First off, Happy Anniversary! We are so pleased that you chose to celebrate this important occasion at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your accommodations at the hotel and most of all for your wonderful recognition of our team, in particular Keri. We know that our team members are the hotel’s most valuable asset and we are extremely proud of them.
We truly look forward to having you with us again in the future. Thank you so much.
Best Regards,
Nova Scotia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Have stayed many times at this hotel and it never disappoints. Beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. The only complaint would be noisy hallways at times depending on location of room. The farther from the elevator, the better.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for posting your comments regarding the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I am very pleased that found your accommodations comfortable. I do apologize for any noise in the hallway from guests entering and exiting the elevator. Hopefully you will be returning to the hotel in the very near future and please do let us know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience on your next stay.
We certainly appreciate your business and your feedback.
Best regards
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed here for one night during our east coast trip. We arrived after mid-night after a late flight. The hotel is easy to see from a few blocks away in a very dark night (okay, we also used a GPS) and the check-in process was fairly smooth given we booked from a 3rd party online.

The rooms are of average size and have good sound isolation. It's also pretty clean as expected from a 3+ star hotel.

The parking garage in the basement has a narrow entrance that requires driving on the left side. If you missed the sign and drive on the right side, it could be difficulty to back up from the ramp if someone is coming out, as the way back involves a rather steep ramp and a turn.

Overall it's an alright stay and we may come back here next time in Halifax.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. Glad you found us easy to find - our hotel is definitely a landmark in Halifax. We do hope that you will have a chance to visit us again. We really appreciate your business.
Best Regards