“Get it in Writing!”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
“Get it in Writing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

My wife and I researched various B&Bs while planning a weekend getaway for our seventh anniversary. When I asked about pricing at Garden South Park Inn, we were quoted a particular price over the phone. I confirmed the information twice with the girl on the phone to make sure we understood each other. However, when we arrived that Saturday to check in, we were told the price would be double what we were quoted. Management refused to do anything about the confusion and we were forced to pay the higher rate or our cc would be charged anyway (24 hr cancellation policy). We were told the honeymoon suite was on a floor by itself; that also turned out not to be the case, as there are eight or ten other rooms on the same floor, some of which were occupied.

Physically, the property is beautiful. It is an old Victorian mansion which has been converted into a tremendous bed and breakfast. The surrounding neighbourhood is well-treed with old oaks and maples. If you're not easily spooked, you won't mind it being two doors away from a major cemetery, visible from some of the guest room windows; I kept expecting to see Vincent Price pop out from somewhere. Perhaps it is appropriately located when considering the staff, who were very cold and impersonal. No "Hello, thanks for coming to see us" or "Thanks for staying with us, come again" or "Is there anything you need?" They anonymously slipped our receipt under our bedroom door at 11 pm, after we had retired for the night.

Everyone in the house knows when people come and go because the large front door slams heavily, shaking the house.

The jacuzzi in the honeymoon suite was great. Amenities include hair dryer, shower stall, queen size bed, tv in room, internet/computer down the hall in a common room. Breakfast is served for one hour each morning. We don't know very much about their breakfast since we were so upset about the pricing of the room, we didn't feel like eating there. We ate breakfast at McD's about two blocks away. There is a major street nearby, two blocks and a five minute walk away which is full of great restaurants (Il Mercato's, Great Gatsby's Bar & Grill, Your Father's Moustache Bar, major drugstores, Smitty's Family Restaurant) so finding a place to eat nearby is easy.

I never did find out what that 'whoop-whoop' sound was just before dawn. It kept up for about half an hour. At first I thought it was a bird but it did sound somewhat human.

We won't be returning.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skypilot5973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newcastle, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

Halifax was our first destination on a two week trip around Canada and the Garden Inn was a great place to stay. The property was quite magnificent from the outside and our room in the basement was a good size and was well furbished. We particularly enjoyed getting up to a well-stocked breakfast table each morning and the hotel was generous enough to off complimentary tea and cakes every evening. There's plenty to do in Halifax and this hotel is well-placed to take in all the sights with restaurants, bars and the fantastic harbour front within 15 minutes walk. I'd highly recommend staying here and hope to return some day!

• Liked — Hotel had a great character in unique surroundings
  • Disliked — No tea and coffee making facilities in room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeilK023
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

Reading excellent reviews dated 2+ years ago, I chose this accomodation for it's proximity to the hospital and somewhat cheaper rates. Coming to the city on hospital related business I was told that a discount would be available upon provision of a letter from hospital staff. I booked a room about 3 weeks in advance asking for the cheapest accomodations available, and was told that there was nothing <$99. Upon arrival, I was greated by a very pleasant staff, who was more than happy to tell me about the sites of interest in the city. After a short sightseeing excursion I returned to my room for some reading, only to notice something moving across the floor from the corner of my eye. A REAL LIVE MOUSE!!! ... which didn't seem to mind my presence at all. Having told the staff about the incident, I was immediately offered to move to another room. I accepted this offer only to find a rather comefortably established colony of mildew along the shower door frame. ... I couldn't be bothered to move again, and so I waited till the morning to tell the staff. As I was signing out, I wondered whether the clerk would consider giving me the discounted rate without having to inconvenience me to get a doctor's note, but no... she was getting ready to charge me the full price, until I promised that I would fax everything in. Another interesting moment of the day occurred when I found out that the cheapest rate of $99 provided to me was far from being such. Upon talking to other visitors at breakfast, I found out that I would have been able to book a $79 room had I called 2 weeks LATER. So much for the cheapest rate!!!

In short, I don't remember the last time I have been this upset about my accomodations. I might as well have stayed in a hostel. I would be lying if I said there were absolutely no positives in this experience: the personnel were very friendly and overall helpful, the location was convenient (close to the hospital and most site seeing points) high speed internet and rather sweet snacks were available for both breakfast and in the evening. However, knowing that I had a risk of having to deal with mice and mildew, I would have never considered paying $99, and would have booked elsewhere.

• Liked — personnel
  • Disliked — mice, shower mildew, expensive rates
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank izumrudinka
port au choix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

We were at another hotel but wasn't satisfied found you and was more than pleased. Staff was very friendly, pleasant and helpful . It is a great place to stay, thanks Marie. It is a beautiful place quiet and cosy. Will recommend. We did enjoy our stay while in Halifax with great recommendations of thing to do and place to see from staff. They could certainly serve as excellent touriist guides. The little church next door is very quaint and thanks to Raymond we did get to see inside. The self serve continential breakfast was wonderful and the evening tea was much appreciated as was the access to a computer in the guest reading room. We will come back and highly recommend. See you in 2007....BN

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank herzax
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2005

Mediocre seems to be the word that best describes the Garden Inn. The outside is well-maintained and the location, near Dalhousie and downtown, is ideal. The best that can be said of the rooms is that they are clean but quite spartan in decor and very small. The window air conditioner in our room was clogged with dust and extremely noisy. The staff member who checked us was curt, although another (the owner?) was very helpful to a friend who had lost her luggage. In short, there was really nothing to make one want to return here, particularly since there must be better choices in the same price range.

6 Thank gutenberg55
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2003

The staff was very friendly and informative. The rooms were nice. The neighborhood was quiet and serene. The morning continental breakfast was wonderful. If I ever visit Halifax again - no doubt about it - I'll stay at the Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2001, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2002

Terrific place to come to celebrate an anniversary, Friendly and pleasant staff, warm hospitality made to feel at home. The buffet breakfast was delicious we will be back.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member