“Great hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Louisville, Colorado
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three days-wonderful hotel-would absolutely reccommend-beds are very comfortable -we had a king room on the third floor-very quiet.The restaurant Harbour City was excellent-excellent service from all.We had the lobster supper which was a special they had and it was very good.Unique artisan desserts.The hotel is close to everything downtown and very close to the harbor-would definitely stay at a Delta hotel in the future.For people from the usa-this hotel is similar to a Hyatt hotel.The only complaint we would have-is that we are leaving the area for a day/ overnite trip on Friday but coming back to Halifax on Saturday and enjoyed this hotel so much-wanted to stay again on Saturday night-the Halifax is full but their sister property -the Barrington across the street does have vacancy-but the price has now doubled from what we are paying now.Very disappointed that they couldn't have offered us a better price since we are already staying in their hotel.So we are having to book a hotel in Dartmouth instead for Saturday.Other than that -have had a great experience.Also they told us they have incentives for booking directly w/ them vs.expexia etc.

• Stayed August 2013
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels Halifax, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and restaurant. I'm so sorry that we were not able to accommodate an additional night for you but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Please let me know the next time you will be coming to Halifax so that I can personally assist with your reservation details.

Kind regards,

Megan
megan.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Halifax, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Delta Halifax on Saturday. We live close to the city but wanted to get away with the kids for the night and so that they could enjoy the pool. We booked the junior suite and we were happy with the size, however having small children were disappointed that there was no fridge. Also upon avvival there was a fruit and cheese tray in our room because we booked a suite. However it was mouldy. We called down and they had someone come and remove it. No one returned with a new one so we called down and they said they would have a new one sent right up. No one ever came. We let the front des desk know when we checked out but we were never compensated for it. :(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels Halifax, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback and I apologize for this error on our end. I would like the opportunity to make this up to you on a future stay if given the opportunity. We take great pride in our hotels staff and service and I invite you to get in touch with me directly at any time.

Megan
New Brunswick Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Hi
We were invited to a wedding in Halifax and booked the room at this hotel since the wedding was at this location. So months ago we booked the room requesting a wheel chair since we traveling with someone who need one while in the hotel... we also had a walker... since we were here for a wedding the wheel chair would have been more accommodating. I did email the request and received a confirmation we would try to get the wheel chair.
The request was made when we made the reservations... being a seasoned traveler I dotted my i's and crossed my t's by calling the hotel the day before we arrived and no problem...
Upon arrival we are unloading a person in a walker and luggage and all the other items for a wedding stay. There were two bellhop people watching us. Not once did they offer to help. We were dressed casual as we just drove 4 hours to get to to the Delta Halifax. So after I go to the check in counter and asked for a wheel chair, the checkin person said just a minute and continued to serve other customers. Now I go over to the bellhop station and ask for a cart. They instruct me around the corner. I load the cart and then one of them comes over and asks do you need assistance.... a little too late. Now I go back to front desk and there was a wait for the wheel chair again. Had to request twice????
We go to our room on the second floor end of the hall. The wheel chair will not go through the door????? So with the help of the bellhop we managed to get our party in the room with their walker.
Now we are freshening up for the wedding. Time to get the walker go in the hall and onto the wheel chair. We go down the hall to another family members room and to our surprise the wheel chair goes in the room no problem. We check the other rooms around and all the doors are the same size. We were put in the ONLY ROOM on the floor in which a wheel chair would not fit.
During the wedding their was a little get together on another floor... organized by the wedding party... after a few minutes no more glasses for the punch... I ask the bartender for more glasses and he says he will call someone... 40 minutes later no glasses... so in the mean time I see some plastic Budweiser cup leftover from some other affair and we use those????

On the positive...The food served for the whole wedding was excellent... hot fresh and delicious.

Now later that evening there is another wedding on the floor where we were located. So we are sharing bathrooms.... no employee was ever in these washrooms all night long... garbage cans overflowing... puddles of urine on the floor... who is in charge????
Keep in mind theses weddings are not cheap. It was very disappointing to see this at a "Delta" hotel famous for service etc.
I decide to talk to someone in charge and they call back and apologizes at least a dozen times... patronizing me now... they were NOT aware the doors were different sizes. We cannot be the first people to request a wheel chair. So now we in wedding mode full swing and they wants to move us??? a little too late. After telling them about the whole situation they assure me everything will be corrected and the usual hotel garb.
We put our party to bed early. Room is dated more comparable to a Quality Inn and the tv is need of replacing. Room is the smallest I have ever stayed in and to manouevre a wheel chair or walker was pretty tricky.
Let's check out ... your room is complimentary and the manager on duty wants to talk to you... how was everything?... what they didn't know what happened????
I go to our vehicle which is in a handicap spot with the appropriate tag in a blue big handicap spot. Parked next to me in my now shared spot was a new white SUV by valet parking. The bellhop asks me if this okay parked about a foot away from where I need to our party in. I respond I think the fine is 500.00 for parking in a handicap spot... the bellhop then moved the vehicle immediately.
The bellhops now were bending over backwards to help us checkout.
In conclusion the person needing the wheel chair was my 86 year old grandmother who is a stroke survivor.
The Delta Halifax needs to take a close look at how they treat handicapped persons. No thought or consideration was ever taken.
Also this room was an UPGRADE... lol... city view was requested. a view of the back of a building. I did not use any names to single out any one person. Generally when a hotel is run this poorly it is from the top down!!!!

Room Tip: Room request city view...lol
1 Thank Michael M
I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience with us. I appreciate your frustrations from start to finish and please know how disappointed we all are at falling so far below standard.

Our Front Office Manager would like the opportunity to speak with you but has been unable to connect with you so far. We, as a team would really like the opportunity to make this up to you if given the opportunity.

Megan MacDonald, Reservations Manager
Jessicachantel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

On a recent trip to Halifax, my husband, myself, sister in law and her fiancée stayed here for one night. We paid through expedia and checked in quickly in the evening to head out for supper with some friends. We got back at about 1 am and unfortunately the power went out at around 3 am... until we checked out the next morning. We were unable to see anything in the bathroom (try packing your stuff up in a dark closet). We were unable to SHOWER. Make coffee? nope... We heard upon checkout it was due to a flood in the next building. While I realize this was not their fault, the hotel dealt with the situation poorly. They simply said sorry, parking will be 22 dollars and I looked at them like they were crazy. I paid close to 200 dollars to sleep in a dark room, unable to see or shower and they STILL wanted me to pay for parking? I was basically camping in their hotel as 90% of our stay was without water or electricity! I asked if they woudl at least comp that as they offered no discount and they said sure. On return, there was a parking charge on our Visa. As far as I am concerned we should have gotten a HUGE discount or a free night's stay for such a crummy visit but to see they charged us for parking was the icing on the cake. Wasn't impressed. Would not stay there again. Save your money and head down to the Courtyard Marriott which we have stayed at many times and have loved.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay with us at the Delta Halifax. While the power outage was completely unforeseen and unplanned, it doesn't negate the fact that you did not get the product or experience you should have and I would like to sincerely apologize to you.

I would appreciate if you could send me an email with your contact information so that I can speak with you personally about your experience. This is not how we want you left feeling and I would really like the opportunity to make this up to you.

Megan MacDonald, Reservations Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights starting Aug 12. We are a family of three that includes a 2 year old. We got a King bed room which was comfortable enough for us. The room was clean and had a refrigerator, which is essentially a must for us for our travels (given the kid). The location is great, close to the water front and eateries on Granville/Hollis. Never tried their restaurant but they had specials on a lobster dinner going on when we arrived. I took my kid to the swimming pool and the facilities were good, nothing to complain with the water temperature being perfect for a summer splash. Overall a pleasant stay and would definitely recommend this place. We had booked in advance on an online website so got a really good rate as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Donnie M, Manager at Delta Hotels Halifax, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello from Delta Halifax,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit... I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. There are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we are very happy you chose us. Its great to hear our location was very convenient for you and you also had time to relax in our pool area. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. My email is below feel free to call upon me to assist with any future Halifax reservations.

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were staying here for a friend's wedding and we're pleased with this hotel. I would agree with the last poster about the rooms being slightly dated. The room was clean smelled fresh and was more than large enough for the two of us.

We did order room service. The food was hot and came quickly.
I found a hair in my potatoes and called them to let them know.

It was remedied very quickly and we didn't have to pay for either breakfast.

The day we were leaving the hotel has a boiler problem leaving very little hot water.

While checking out I Mentioned the hot water to the front desk and they were aware of the problem and we're very apologetic. I just wanted to make sure they knew about the problem. The lady at the counter noticed ouse parking and didn't charge is for it.

Overall it is a very nice hotel with a few hiccups but we would stay
there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Donnie M, Manager at Delta Hotels Halifax, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello from Delta Halifax,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us while attending your friends wedding... we are very pleased to have been included in such special travel plans. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and were happy with our service levels and offerings. I am very sorry for the incident with your in room dinning breakfast and am happy to hear you were compensated for the mistake.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we are all looking forward in welcoming you back again soon!

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our family is in hotel right now and we're actually considering switching to a different hotel for our next two nights. Quality is missing. Room is cramp and really dated. We have not spent a night yet, but not impressed already.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Donnie M, Manager at Delta Hotels Halifax, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hello,

I am so sorry for the rocky start to your stay. We want to make this right for you and your family. Can you contact our duty manager by dialing "0" on your guest room phone. I am confident we have alternative room options to ensure the remainder of your stay is top notch. Thank you for reaching out and providing us an opportunity to resolve this situation.

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels,com