“Great mini-vacation”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Charlottetown, Canada
“Great mini-vacation”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My fiance and I decided (VERY last minute) to take a mini vacation to Halifax to enjoy the Casino and some shopping. We stayed at the Delta Barrington for two nights and then moved on to the Delta Halifax.

We pulled up to the doors and the valet guy came right out and parked our car while we checked in (after asking if we needed help with our bags, which we didn't). Check-in was a breeze and the staff were beyond friendly. We got to our room which was exactly where we requested it to be (high up and close to the elevator). The room was very nice and super clean. Some of the items did need an upgrade but they all worked perfectly...ie: alarm clock. Our first morning there we ordered from In Room Dining. It was a decent breakfast, although it was nothing to what we had expected it to be after reading reviews of delicious food. When we asked the front desk clerk about this she informed us that the In Room Dining menu was completely different then that of the restaurant...even prepared by different people.

That evening we decided to eat in the restaurant and it was nothing short of amazing. It was 5-star quality and gourmet to the last detail. The plating was gorgeous and the food was to die for. I was beyond impressed when the chef came to our table to make sure we were enjoying our meal. I admit that it was expensive (about $80 after tip for two of us), however, it was worth every penny. You can't expect to get 5-star dining without paying a 5-star price, and that is not even a 5-star price (compared to the 5-star restaurants where I live).

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved it all. The bed was very comfy and the pillows were like heaven.

The best thing about the entire place is that you do not have to go outdoors for anything. A mall, restaurant, food court, pharmacy and casino are all connected to the hotel via pedways. It was blistering cold while we were there so not having to go outside was a huge bonus. It can get a little confusing but after doing it once or twice it becomes second nature.

One more thing....my fiance and I LOVE our sleep, so we tend to sleep pretty late (past normal housekeeping hours). We knew that the housekeeping staff was done of our floor by 10am. At around 2:30pm we decided that we were going to go for a swim. We called down to the front desk and requested that our room be cleaned while we were gone. This was not a problem for them and when we got back the room was immaculate.

I would definitely suggest the Delta Halifax to anyone looking for a relaxing time away from home. It IS a little expensive, however, the staff make it worth every cent!!

Room Tip: This hotel is downtown Halifax so I would request a harbour view room...otherwise you will have a vi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Greeting's from Delta's in Halifax,

Wow... thank you for taking the time to share your past experience with us in such great detail! We are thrilled to read your comments and very happy we were able to provide you with such a great mini vacation. I am sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your breakfast from in room dinning. (My email is below any additional information you can provide would be very much appreciated)

We are so happy you chose do dine one evening at Harbour City Bar and Grill located in the lobby of Delta Halifax. We are thrilled with your review of the experience... it was recently named Halifax's restaurant of the year... an award we are so proud of.

Halifax has many reputable hotels and restaurants... we really appreciate you choosing us. We would love to welcome you back the next time your travels will have you in Halifax. Please feel free to call upon me personally to assist.

dmacdonald@deltahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I had a 2 year old with me. They didn't help carry the luggage or offer any help. I will not go back.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Frankyboone
Hello from Delta Halifax,

I am very sorry to be reading your comments from your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our personalized service however it is evident we let you down. I am hopeful you may be willing to contact me so we could discuss your past stay in greater detail and allow us an opportunity to make this unfortunate experience up to you.

I look forward in hearing from you.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Checked in on NYE (Dec 31st 2011). We were able to check in early which was a bonus. There was a note in our room saying that 'quiet time' would be moved from 11pm to 12:30am because of it being NYE. Fine by us!

The room was clean and our room had a good sized LCD TV with great picture quality. On a side note, our friends down the hall had an old tube TV with poor cable reception. I'm guessing they are in the process of upgrading their TV's.

The bathroom was clean as well. I'm fussy about the caulking around the tub in hotels because it's often moldy, but not here!

The only thing I would complain about is the lack of Wi-Fi. They had internet but you needed to hard wire it. It wasn't possible for my wife to use her Playbook and I couldn't use my Itouch. The hotel later informed us they are working on getting Wi-Fi available in the near future but didn't give us a time frame.

I would stay here again based on it's great location and clean rooms.

Checkout was quick and smooth....

Room Tip: ask for a room with an upgraded TV (LCD)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Greeting's from Delta Halifax!

Thanks very much for allowing us to be part of your New Years celebration...there are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we are very happy you chose us!

We do have a few rooms left to upgrade to LCD Tv's we will be completing that this year. As for in room wifi we are very close... down to the final leg of the project and are confident we will be 100% wireless by the first week of February.

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback with us via Tripadvisor! We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Whitbourne
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed for a night on Dec 1. Excellent location in walking distance of everything you need, including a market that has a liquor store :-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax!

Thank you for providing us feedback on your recent stay. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and particularly enjoyed our location.

Thank you for choosing us... we look forward in welcoming you back soon!

Donnie
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I am not normally a big fan of restaurants in hotel lobbies, but my wife and I recently had a great meal at the restaurant in the Delta Halifax. For $39.00 you could pick 3 courses from 2 appetizers, 4 main courses and 2 desserts. We picked different things so we could sample each other's food, and it was all great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax and Harbour City Bar and Grill

Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We are thrilled to hear your comments on your recent experience while dinning at Harbour City. Our pre fix menu's have been a huge success and we are glad you had an opportunity to try one. Harbour City was recently recognized by the Chronicle Herald as Halifax's 2011 restaurant of the year... we are very excited to raise the bar even higher through 2012.

Please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your next reservation!

Donnie
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I stayed a week in this hotel in early November for a conference. Everything was great. Especially the quiet and cozy room. Worth it. Just notice that the parking is not free (additional $20)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide us feedback via tripadvisor. Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay and we are very pleased you enjoyed your quiet, cozy room! Parking costs are difficult for us to control as we do not own the parking facilities attached to our hotel and we ensure the rates we charge mirror the retail prices charged by the actual parking garage.

Thank you for choosing us! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mssissauga
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Great location for our families first visit to Halifax. Everything about our stay was fine except the fact I had paid extra for an upgraded "harbour view" room. The price was actually two levels above the standard rate for the room. If you looked really hard out our window, around the industrial sized roof top air conditioner you may just be able to get a view of the harbour or what could be the harbour. Stay here but walk to the harbour and save your money...don't pay for the upgrade

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear your comments regarding our location. However we are sorry our Harbourview room did not provide the view's you would or should have expected. We do have many rooms with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. I would like to personally assist with your next Halifax reservation and provide you with a complimentary upgrade to one of those rooms.

Thank you for choosing us... I look forward in hearing from you.

Donne MacDonald