“Great Location!”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed November 21, 2007

The Halifax Delta has a great location in downtown Halifax. It's within easy walking distance to the waterfront, museums, shopping, restaurants and pubs, as well as a casino. It's connected to Scotia Square Shopping Center so you can shop without going outdoors, plus a covered walk way takes you to the waterfront.

I had a lovely partial view of the Halifax Harbor which I enjoyed while drinking my coffee in the morning. Another plus is that the room was sound proof, so I could enjoy being downtown without being kept awake by city noise.

The only downside to my visit is that there was a crib in the room which was a little cumbersome to walk around, and it was not removed after two requests to the front desk. I guess I could have disassembled it and put it in the hall.

Something to watch out for if you book this hotel is that there is another Delta Hotel across the street, also on Barrington Street, and it can be a little confusing. I assumed I was booked into the Delta Barrington but realized my mistake upon attempting to check in. Fortunately, the desk clerk arranged for an escort to immediately walk me accross the street to the Delta Halifax, which was comforting since it was after midnight when I arrived.

Overall, I loved this hotel and had a lovely stay. Except for the minor nuisance of the crib in the room, I would have given this hotel an excellent rating.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank swimfan923

Reviewed May 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Delta Halifax from May 4th to the 8th, 2007. We arrived around 4:00 pm and it was very busy at check-in but the staff handled it with ease and were very friendly. We had no problems with our room. We were a little concerned when we first got there as there was a graduation being held there that night and also a hockey tournament with quite a few teams staying there. We had no reason to worry. We never once encountered any loud partying or noise the whole weekend. There was a turndown service each night with bottled water, chocolates and a printout of the next day's forecast. The location was great. It was right next to the Scotia Square mall, it was connected to a pedway to many places and there is a bus stop in front of the hotel as well. When checking out we had no problems. The young man was very friendly and outgoing and checkout was done smoothly. I will be returning to the Delta Halifax the next time I am in Halifax.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kjhc027
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I stayed at the Delta Halifax during the week of February 19th.

Location: Centrally located, within a short drive to the main restaurants in downtown.

Service: Average service, with staff cordial, offering the basic services, but not going the extra mile to offer help, ask if I needed directions or any assistance.

Rooms: The bed was the only decent thing about the room. The hotel rooms are tired, bathrooms are small and in need of renovation.

Overall, as a business person I would search for other options in the city that offer more modern facilities and accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Busperson
Reviewed February 22, 2007

My wife and I were married in Halifax in July 2004. We contacted a number of hotels looking for a group rate. Most didn't respond except for the Westin n Delta. In the end we choose the Delta.

Our first stay was in April 2004 while making plans for our wedding. We occupied a Jr Suite on the 2nd floor. We found the room spacious, clean, and the staff more than friendly. The Pub on the first floor has great food. We love the chowder.

Since then the staff and management have been nothing but suberb to us. They took care of every little detail for our wedding including allowing us to use the beatiful room on the 8th floor for a brunch. All my guests and family that stayed here raved about the hotel.

As a present to us, we were given the same room, the inafmous Neptune Suite, which Bill Clinton and Pam Anderson have bunked in, for free the next year in 2005. Now every time we come to Halifax, if available, we use this room n hotel.

Now from time to time, it's n/a, and we've stayed at other properties, but it's never the same as the Delta. First, the location is awesome for either the Casino (cos of the indoor walkway), The Economy Shoe Shop (if you're under 40, this is
the alterna place to eat, drink, n hang, period), and both the
convention centre n halifax metro arena. The mgt hs really gone out of it's way to cater to the arts, ent, and music industry, so it's not all that unsual to run into legends like Ron Hynes, or the BNL at this property. There's also a lot of weddings in this hotel.

For the Juno's, ECMA's, or any conference, it's really an amazing hotel. We attended the ECMA's this last weekend (Feb 17 07)
and used the mall entrance n tunnels to get everywhere without having to walk outside. the parties and events at the Delta were more than outstanding, especially the Grammy Sampson party, and the Music Nova Scotia events.

Parking is easy, there's lot of elevators, great views of the harbour, cool balconies, but it's the friendly staff that makes the difference here. True, some of the suites could us a modern makeover, but I'm sure that's in the works...

Hats off to Uncle Stuart and Darren for running an incredible hotel that's our second home n then some

Jeff n Tara Cohen
Toronto

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank wilcoam
Reviewed August 29, 2006

We stayed here as part of our tour across Eastern Canada. We had a room overlooking the car park roof of the neighbouring shopping centre. Whilst the room was spacious, it was in desperate need of an update. I have never stayed in a hotel with a filthier, stained carpet. The aircon/heater was very old and so noisy that you couldn't sleep if it was on. The bathroom was a bit tatty and dated. The pool has obviously been patched up badly and is now coming apart and is obviously in need of serious repair. The location of the hotel though is good and gives you access to the pedway system which makes getting around Halifax easy, especially when the weather is not good . All the major sights are within easy walking distance. The adjoining shopping centre has a good food court area which is handy for breakfast and snacks. Generally the hotel needs some serious money spending on it to bring it up to standard.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank brittraveller
Reviewed August 9, 2006

This is a bog standard business/tour group hotel which does everything at that level and for a short stay, is perfectly reasonable. The location is excellent within a short walk of the harbourfront area and the airport transportation also stops here.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JWFS
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Didn't know what to expect but was very pleased with the Delta Halifax.
The front desk staff were all nice. Actually, all the staff I came across were nice in the building.
We had two rooms for our group and both were excellent. They either had a private balcony or opened onto the inner courtyard patio.
There is a pool/whirlpool area but I didn't use it. Looked decent from the window I peaked in though. There is also a fitness room available and there are licensed massage therapists with their own office in the hotel.

I didn't eat at the hotel but there was a classy looking bar just off the lobby and a nice restaurant too.
The hotel is connected by pedways to many other properties like the casino, World Trade Centre and Halifax Metro Centre. We were there for the Daniel O'Donnell concert(I later saw some of his assistants there so I think he was staying there too) and it was easy to walk to the Metro Centre, probably a ten minute walk. Even walking back at midnight after the show was alright as we could use the pedway system.
The rooms themselves were clean and well appointed. Some things did look a tad worn but it was very minimal. It didn't detract from the room much as it was very clean and neat. The bathroom was a good size and had a nice selection of soaps/shampoos/creams etc. I think I will be ordering some of these...mmmm cranberry.

There were white terry robes for our use, wine glasses, cork screw, coffee maker and selection of teas/coffees. There were ceramic mugs but also take out type cups with lids so you could take your coffee with you as you leave.
We also had the Globe and Mail newspaper delivered to our door in the morning.
There was Internet available to hook up too. I belive it was $9 a day. There was also some sort of Internet to surf on on the TV but I didn't use that feature. Not sure if there was a fee for that.
The hotel itself was decorated in nice deep colours and mahogany wood panels with brass accents. Made for a nice warm feeling. It was also very quiet, laid back feeling.

My only issue would be that if you're in a wheel chair, as one in our group was you may have a problem getting to some of the rooms. There are ramps but they are VERY VERY steep and at the end of the ramps there is a door to lead to the rooms. The door was heavy and there was no button to automatically open in. Neither was there much room to manoever a wheel chair as the door opens.
There may be special wheel chair rooms, I'm not sure. It was just a last minute thing that one in our group had to use a wheel chair so we figured we'd just take our rooms as they were and didn't inquire about wheel chair accessibility.

There is underground parking which cost us around $13.00. There is valet parking as well but I'm not sure of the cost. The parking is shared with Scotia Square mall and some office towers. The hotel will give you a cheaper rate for parking than the $15 a day that normally is charged.
It's not confusing to get from the parking to the hotel as other reviewers said. You just follow the signs to the elevator and in three minutes you're in the lobby of the hotel.
We will definitely stay at this hotel again when we are in Halifax!

• Stayed: June 2006