“Fast, efficient, friendly”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Stayed one night on business. Everything went smoothly from check-in to check-out. Had breakfst in the hotel's Stone Street Cafe. Served by Lisa #136 who had a lovely Maritime smile and was fast and efficient.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed March 15, 2009

The Delta Barrington is a "safe bet" for both the business and leisure traveller wishing to be located downtown Halifax.

The Delta Barrington is less than 5 minutes from the Waterfront and the "historic properties", the Casino and other attractions in Downtown Halifax. Be careful however as there are two Delta properties facing each other on Barrington street (Delta Halifax is the other property).

During my last stay, I was upgraded to a signature club room which includes access to a lounge, free high-speed internet, turn down services and so on. The lounge is nice but I found the food offering (breakfast) to be extremely limited compared to other Delta properties. The room itself was nice, clean, well-maitained and of a relatively good size. Staff is very friendly.

The hotel also features a pool and a decent-enough gym (treadmill, bicycle, elleptical, weights,...)

As this is not a tall property (3 floors) don't expect a "room with a view" (the Delta Halifax may be better for that). I stil prefer the Barrington to the Halifax as the Barrington has a "small hotel" feel to it.

Food options on site are good. It is attached to a small shopping mall. The larger Scotia mall is on the other side of the street.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ottwatrvllr
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I treated my spouse to a week here for his 45th birthday. Our experience was terrible from the time we checked in until we departed. When we arrived, we were not greeted by the front desk staff who were too busy chatting to each other to acknowledge us! We had requested a King size bed. We were told there were no King left. We went to our room and were shocked to see a Murphy bed that could barely fit one person!!! We were too exhausted to call the front desk to complain. Our 'view' was the pedway linking the bank next door! The next day, we asked for a new room. We were moved to a room with a small double bed but at least it wasn't a Murphy! Every time we saw staff in the halls, they looked down at the floor or away from us. There was no eye contact. We went for a late supper at the pub and waited almost an hour for our food. We only drank water so the staff ignored us for other customers drinking alcohol. By the time we received our fish, it was cold!! We tried to eat in the restaurant one evening and couldn't believe how rude the staff were there as well. We walked out after waiting 30 minutes for our waitress. There was only one other couple present so we had no idea why there was such a long delay. When we checked out, we asked the hotel to call us the shuttle. We waited an hour after being told it would only take 20 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. We were worried we would miss our flight so we complained again. We were told to take a cab and that the shuttle service would reimburse our cab driver. We paid our cab driver anyway because we felt sorry for him, knowing the hotel was probably giving us false information!

Everyone tells us that NS has wonderful people. We did not encounter any of them at the Delta Barrington! For a 4 star hotel, the service was 0!! Stay somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank blc612
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed here our last night in Nova Scotia. We got a package which included parking and breakfast, not a bad deal. Didn't ask for it, but was on the top floor and had a view of the harbour. The bed was very luxurious and we loved it. The staff was amazing and very helpful. My ONLY complaint was for this class of hotel, the bath towels should have been better. They were a little rough on the skin and not high quality. The location was great. I had a hard time figuring out which location was best of all the hotels. Everything really is within walking distance of all the hotels. Some just closer than others. This end of the harbor was the best for where we wanted to eat (Salty's) and was convenient to a pub to have a drink (O'Carroll's). It was about 2 to 3 short blocks to the water. They had a really good deal for a lobster dinner, but didn't see it until the next morning. Not sure of taste, but cost wise, it was better than our deal. Of course our lobster at Salty's was cooked to perfection. The breakfast buffet at the hotel that was included in our package was wonderful. Plently of selection and very good. This was the perfect place to stay for our last night in NS. Highly recommend the Delta Barrington!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank luvcuracao
Reviewed July 23, 2008

WOW! that's the word that describes this hotel. I just moved to Halifax from Calgary, Alberta and needed a hotel to stay in for a few days while my furniture was being shipping to Nova Scotia. The check-in was a breeze. They recognized me as a Delta Privilege Gold member right away. I stayed in the Club room, with one king bed. The hotel has charm, and It made me put a smile on my face. The front desk was very, very helpful. It even turned out my shipment got delayed by a couple days, so they extended the Weekend rate for my stay, well into the middle of the week, saving me hundreds of dollars.
The Club lounge was nothing short of perfect. nice comfortable couches and tables/chairs. It was the perfect place to sit and relax while reading a paper or watch the TV. They also had a chess set, which was fun to play with my partner during the snow storms. The evening snacks were nice, there could of been more selection, same with the breakfast.
Pool was nice, but small and shallow. The hot tub didn't work and was informed it hasn't worked for sometime now. But those are minor things.

Locations is PERFECT. You are only a few blocks from the waterfront, and a two minute walk from the casino. As a Halifax Local now, I would say this is the best location for a hotel in the city.

I told the front desk that now because I'm living in Halifax, I probably won't get the chance to stay again in the near future, but informed them if something comes up, that I need a hotel for the night, I'll be there right away. Sure enough three weeks ago the Well ran dry in our new house, so I was out looking for accommodation on Canada Day while I waited for a plumber and water supply guy to fix the well the next day. It was a pleasure to be greeted by the front desk staff, who even remembered me! They were also accommodating and allowed me to bring my new puppy( 3 months old) in the hotel room with me during this home emergency.
They helped turn a stressful situation, into a situation which was easier to handle.

Thank you so very much! My anniversary is coming up, and if I can't get enough time off work, me and my partner will stay there for the night.

• Stayed: February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pilotboy1985
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I had a good time staying there! the staff were very friendly, the room was spotless, the gym/swimming pool had good hours. It was the walk distance to all the downtown shops, Tourists places. The only very inconvenient thing to us was the parking! The closest garage is the Scotia Square. We had to drag our luggage all the way across the mall to find the hotel entrance. The parking there cost $20 per day. It's better to use the valet parking service, it's almost the same price ($19.95) and way more convenient to get in and out.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aprial
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We are foodies and pretty picky on where we stay... We usually stay at Fairmont propertiesbut thought we would give this a try without expectations.

First of all the people here are so friendly and accomodating. Check in was a breeze and we got the signature club level for under $200 a night. breakfast decent selection...tasty treats from 5 to 7 pm. We could go on and on but the best part was ordering room service...we had the lobster 4 course special and it was awesome!! Great service and happy people all over Halifax..we visited 20 bars and restuarants...go to the Economy Shoe Shop for their natchos....the Carlton to see Mike and Mike from Much Music..yes they have a bar and restaurant...and fun to hang out with!!..but staying at the Delta Barrington was a great experience
for us...looking forward to reutrn here someday soon. The bed was very comfy..hard to get out of in the morning..gym small but decent and AC'd ..pool very clean and the perfect temp!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple