“Under construction”

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Winnipeg, Canada
“Under construction”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Did not meet my expectations of a Delta hotel. You are better off staying across the street at the Delta Halifax. On the upside the location is great and is connected to a shopping mall with some specialty shops.

• Stayed September 2012
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

We appreciate you choosing us on your recent visit. I am sorry to hear we were not able to meet your needs. Our current renovation project is almost complete we do hope to have another opportunity to have you back to re-experience our hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoy our sister property across the street.

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us and we look forward in welcoming you back to one of our locations soon!

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Edmonton
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked through Priceline. When we checked in, we inquired about upgrading to a King Bed from two doubles. We were able to do this, by paying an addition $20 a night, but this included access to their signature room, which included free breakfast and afternoon appetizers daily. Both were very good and well worth the extra money. The location is great, being right downtown and minutes from all the best restaurants, bars, music venues etc.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and we are very happy to read you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with your upgraded accommodation.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you require any future Halifax reservations.

Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Handy to wharf and Upper Water Street, but pricey. I paid 200 a night because there wasn't anything else available around the harbour area during that time. I had never been to Halifax, so I was unfamiliar with the territory. Now that I know I wouldn't stay here again unless the rate was much better. For the money, I would have expected more (any) amenities. The room was quiet and clean, but that's it. If I had known, I would have saved some money and booked away from the harbour area. The only advantage is that you can go for dinner and some drinks and not have to worry about driving since many restaurants and bars were within walking distance. I was in and out of the Marriot, which is close to this hotel, a few times during my stay and it is much nicer and was in the same price range but I couldn't get a room for my stay. There are enough other hotels in the area that are almost right on the water that I'd look elsewhere first now that I know the geography. They want about $17 a night for parking, but the front desk was nice enough to tell me that weekend parking on the city streets is free. So, I was able to find on street parking closeby and save that. I don't know whether that would be an option weekdays or in the winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Halifax. I am sorry to hear you did not see value in your recent experience. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me (email below) as I would like to make up for our shortfall's in providing you a stay with excellent value for the rate you paid.

Thanks again for choosing us and I look forward in hearing from you.

Best,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

You are currently welcomed to the Delta Barrington by major works in the lobby. Ok this needs to be done sometime I suppose. Work starts at 8am too so don't stay here if you like to sleep in. Sleep is not always easier on the well worn mattresses anyway. Breakfast buffet wasn't bad, but worst was check out. Having left our car with valet parking we asked for the car to be brought round and for some assistance with our bags. Having been told it will take 20 minutes for this (why?) we gave up waiting after 40 minutes. When we told the check out staff they just said "oh". No apology. The car was parked out front once we got ourselves there but we had to wait for keys from the disorganised valet staff. They didn't even offer to help load our bags in to the car. Poor effort from the Delta Barrington all round.

• Stayed August 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

We appreciate you choosing us on your recent visit. You are right no time is ideal to renovate however we are pleased the project is well underway with a projected completion date within a few weeks. All that being said I am very sorry we have let you down on your stay. Certainly not what we wanted nor what you would have expected when choosing our hotel. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me as we would like to have an opportunity to make up for our shortfalls.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We approached the hotel front where up to 11 cars (double parked) were waiting for the valet service. A $20 bill got me to the head of the pack. Where's the lobby? Oh, construction... sorry, we forgot to mention it. We could hear drilling in the walls when we arrived in our room... oops sorry! Off to the wedding reception. Next morning, a 40 minute wait for the complimentary breakfast buffet... oops sorry, "everyone came at the same time"! Paid our bill, complained politely on deaf ears. Oops sorry! Got home later that day, realised I forgot my dress shirt on a hanger in the closet. Called front desk, she made a note for housekeeping, "they will call you". 5 days later, no call. Called again, left the same message. Still no call back. Gave you my business and the shirt off my back, and this is the thanks I get? Several new hotels going up in Halifax over the next couple of years. As a local resident, proud of my city, I will be recommending these other hotels. Oops, sorry!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

I am very sorry to be in receipt of our feedback regarding your recent experience. We obviously let you down on may fronts and am very sorry for that. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me as I would like to have an opportunity to make up for our shortfalls with your last stay.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel was being renovated during our stay. There was loud jackhammering and banging which began at 7am. It completely ruined any chance of sleeping in and getting good rest. We were informed upon check-in that there may be some "light noise" beginning at 7am. In my opinion, the construction was far too loud for it to start at 7 in the morning.

Pros:
- Friendly service
- Good location in downtown Halifax

Cons:
- Heavy renovations/construction, loud noises
- Restaurant was closed (except for breakfast)
- Pool has no deep end, only shallow.

Conclusion: Might be a nice hotel when renovations are complete. I stayed on the first floor and found the layout to be extremely confusing. I lost my way several times, and at times, felt like I was Rose running through the halls of the Titanic.

Room Tip: The layout of the first floor was extremely confusing.. didn't go to any other floors, but bette...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit to Halifax. I am very sorry for the disturbances your experienced during your stay. The renovation project on our lobby and new restaurant is moving on schedule and we are about 30 days until its completion. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me (email below) as we would like to hopefully provide a more positive closure to your stay.

Winnipeg
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked and paid in advance for a 2 night, mid August stay as part of our honeymoon and were awakened both mornings by 8:00 AM to concrete core drilling work directly outside our window on the first floor roof. We had the worst room in the hotel! There was no advantage to booking the room in advance through a third party web site as the 2 parties did not communicate the construction plans, nor did the hotel offer any other choices or compensation for the disturbances. Never again will I stay at the Delta Barrington or use a third party, to book accomadations.

Room Tip: Book rooms personally, on the phone and ask about any plans for construction and best rooms for piec...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter G
Hello from Delta Barrington,

We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your special get-a-way. Third party sites are very limited to what copy can be changed on their pages. Our own brand site and call centers are fully equipped with our renovation project notice. That being said I am very sorry for the experience you had with us. My email is below I am hoping you may re-consider and reach out to me as we would like to make up for your recent stay... certainly not what you had expected when making your reservation with us.