“Tired and in need of some updating. Staff training would help too!”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed August 31, 2012

You are currently welcomed to the Delta Barrington by major works in the lobby. Ok this needs to be done sometime I suppose. Work starts at 8am too so don't stay here if you like to sleep in. Sleep is not always easier on the well worn mattresses anyway. Breakfast buffet wasn't bad, but worst was check out. Having left our car with valet parking we asked for the car to be brought round and for some assistance with our bags. Having been told it will take 20 minutes for this (why?) we gave up waiting after 40 minutes. When we told the check out staff they just said "oh". No apology. The car was parked out front once we got ourselves there but we had to wait for keys from the disorganised valet staff. They didn't even offer to help load our bags in to the car. Poor effort from the Delta Barrington all round.

• Stayed: August 2012
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

We appreciate you choosing us on your recent visit. You are right no time is ideal to renovate however we are pleased the project is well underway with a projected completion date within a few weeks. All that being said I am very sorry we have let you down on your stay. Certainly not what we wanted nor what you would have expected when choosing our hotel. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me as we would like to have an opportunity to make up for our shortfalls.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We approached the hotel front where up to 11 cars (double parked) were waiting for the valet service. A $20 bill got me to the head of the pack. Where's the lobby? Oh, construction... sorry, we forgot to mention it. We could hear drilling in the walls when we arrived in our room... oops sorry! Off to the wedding reception. Next morning, a 40 minute wait for the complimentary breakfast buffet... oops sorry, "everyone came at the same time"! Paid our bill, complained politely on deaf ears. Oops sorry! Got home later that day, realised I forgot my dress shirt on a hanger in the closet. Called front desk, she made a note for housekeeping, "they will call you". 5 days later, no call. Called again, left the same message. Still no call back. Gave you my business and the shirt off my back, and this is the thanks I get? Several new hotels going up in Halifax over the next couple of years. As a local resident, proud of my city, I will be recommending these other hotels. Oops, sorry!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

I am very sorry to be in receipt of our feedback regarding your recent experience. We obviously let you down on may fronts and am very sorry for that. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me as I would like to have an opportunity to make up for our shortfalls with your last stay.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel was being renovated during our stay. There was loud jackhammering and banging which began at 7am. It completely ruined any chance of sleeping in and getting good rest. We were informed upon check-in that there may be some "light noise" beginning at 7am. In my opinion, the construction was far too loud for it to start at 7 in the morning.

Pros:
- Friendly service
- Good location in downtown Halifax

Cons:
- Heavy renovations/construction, loud noises
- Restaurant was closed (except for breakfast)
- Pool has no deep end, only shallow.

Conclusion: Might be a nice hotel when renovations are complete. I stayed on the first floor and found the layout to be extremely confusing. I lost my way several times, and at times, felt like I was Rose running through the halls of the Titanic.

Room Tip: The layout of the first floor was extremely confusing.. didn't go to any other floors, but bette...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit to Halifax. I am very sorry for the disturbances your experienced during your stay. The renovation project on our lobby and new restaurant is moving on schedule and we are about 30 days until its completion. I am hoping you may be willing to contact me (email below) as we would like to hopefully provide a more positive closure to your stay.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked and paid in advance for a 2 night, mid August stay as part of our honeymoon and were awakened both mornings by 8:00 AM to concrete core drilling work directly outside our window on the first floor roof. We had the worst room in the hotel! There was no advantage to booking the room in advance through a third party web site as the 2 parties did not communicate the construction plans, nor did the hotel offer any other choices or compensation for the disturbances. Never again will I stay at the Delta Barrington or use a third party, to book accomadations.

Room Tip: Book rooms personally, on the phone and ask about any plans for construction and best rooms for piec...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G

Hello from Delta Barrington,

We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your special get-a-way. Third party sites are very limited to what copy can be changed on their pages. Our own brand site and call centers are fully equipped with our renovation project notice. That being said I am very sorry for the experience you had with us. My email is below I am hoping you may re-consider and reach out to me as we would like to make up for your recent stay... certainly not what you had expected when making your reservation with us.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

In Halifax to attend a wedding so wanted a hotel which was close to the events and central so we could walk the area. Although under going remodeling at the entrance, the Delta hit the spot. Once we got on the northbound side of Barrington St so we could avail ourselves of the valet parking, everything was easy. We were offered the upgrade to a Signature Club Room and although it was an additional $20 per night, we deemed it worthwhile as we wouldn't have to worry about breakfast. And we did partake of the munchies early Friday evening in the Signature Club Lounge.
It appears the rooms have been done over as the bathroom tile looked new, everything was clean - except for the steam exhaust vent over the shower. It wasn't replaced and looked stained with years of dirt. Perhaps not many guests look up when taking a shower.
My wife appreciated the bathroom amenities. The room also had a small fridge which allowed her to store her diet snacks properly. The king size bed was perhaps a little soft and lumpy but after all the walking around the downtown and uptown areas, and the dancing and partying the second night, we slept well regardless.
Central, convenient, very courteous and helpful staff. Very pleased with our weekend stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

I am very sorry we did not provide you the experience you would have expected. We let you down on many fronts and again am very sorry for that. I am happy our rooms manager from the hotel did have an opportunity to connect with you and provide a positive closure to your stay.

If you are willing we would certainly appreciate another opportunity to provide you with a better experience. My email is below... please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist with a future Halifax reservation.

Donnie MacDonald]

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Despite the renovations, the hotel was quiet and I was blown away by the quality of the service from the staff out front. From suggestions of things to see in Halifax or just getting our car a few times to retrieve forgotten goods, we were quite pleased with the service.

• Stayed: August 2012
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thanks for choosing us on your recent visit. We are pleased to read you enjoyed our service levels and our kilted bell staff! Thanks again for choosing us and week forward in welcoming you back soon.

Best,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Delta Barrington is a 4 star hotel in the heart of the city between the citadel and the waterfront. The rooms were immaculate and well decorated and most of all comfortable.
The staff were outstanding including the doormen in the Nova Scotia quilts that parked your car.
I would return here in a heartbeat.
Some construction ongoing on over the summer but heard no noise. I am an early riser and out for the day so enjoyed my stay. Slept like a baby.
Coffee in room and Starbucks station on every floor by elevator.

Room Tip: Highjer floors less noisy during renovations.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Greeting's from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Halifax. We are thrilled to read your feedback and very thankful to you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We pride ourselves on cleanliness and service levels and are very happy to hear your comments on those aspects. Our renovations are well underway and we look forward in welcoming you back to the new Delta Barrington soon!