“Disatisfied Customer”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
SYDNEY
“Disatisfied Customer”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

overall appearance not eye appealing, if there was a free continental breakfast we were not told about same, not happy during registering for our stay a dog was barking at us and over sniffing us ( but the young man that waited on us was very nice) bathtub rusted, hot water would not shut off in shower, vanity counter top very damaged and sharp edges, ruined a sweater leaning into it, no dead bolts on the door, no internet connection, very musty smell in the room,beds were not in the least comfortable and bed spreads were old and didnt look very clean over all was just not comfortable staying in this hotel, was needing a room for a second night but would not stay moved on to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

2 Thank SHERI D
HOJOBluenose, Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It is with great regret that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you before you left. I am very sorry to hear your stay was not comfortable. The motel is currently making improvement and doing face lifts on a weekly bases. The new owners have had the motel just over a year and are hoping to make major changes in the near future. Thank you for your comments. I will personally see that the issues you mentioned are addressed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
HANWELL
Reviewed September 23, 2012

we were in the area for a hospital visit, and we were late booking the room. It was the last room ( told by staff) it smelled musty when we walked in, the toilet was leaking, wires hanging from the wall. we were late arriving and too tired to try and find another hotel so we stayed the night. We were told in the morning the it was the last room to ever get rented out and very rarely did they use it. I can see why. Should have asked for a discount, but too stressed due to medical appointment.We will not stay there again. Especially in room 20!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry your stay at the motel was not a pleasant one. You are correct, it is stressful enough coming to the city for medical reasons and then having to deal with an unacceptable room is even more stressfull. Yes you should have received a discount and you should have insisted on speaking with me on check out. I will be addressing the issues you mentioned and hope you will give us a second chance.

Travelers are raving about these Halifax hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

How disappointing!! We booked 4 nights here in order to give our friends from Australia a few days rest after their two days of travel time to get to Canda. My wife and I were embarrassed to have them start their holiday in such terrible accommodation. The whole property is in need of major renovations; even the grounds were unkempt. The rooms were dirty, with stained carpets, rusty bathroom fixtures, etc. Luckily, our next 23 nightys in the Maritimes and Québec were super as well as the accommodation chosen. The only positive aspect was that the staff in the office were very nice and welcoming.

Room Tip: I don't know if there ia a good room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
HOJOBluenose, General Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. Any and all comments will help us correct and plan the upcoming upgrades to the property. We have renovated a portion of the motel, I only wished you had asked to be moved to another room. If that was possible we would have gladly accomodated you.

Respectfully,
Management
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I used to think the name "Howard Johnson" indicated a certain level of quality like Comfort Inn or Quality Inn. We paid $110 for a housekeeping suite that reminded me of a cheap apartment that college students might rent. There was a musty odour in the carpet, so we had to keep the windows open to ventilate. Also because the prehistoric A/C unit was so loud, we couldn't use it. The traffic noise outside made it difficult to sleep. If this hotel were priced appropriately, say $80 per night I could accept this place in order to save a few dollars.

bosh
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Place is run down to the max, always a dilemma with the credit card at these places as well, argument over whether we pre-paid or not... unless you are in a bind, find something else... The breakfast was terrible, might have been better off to eat the styro-foam bowls.. lol
bed busts up your back...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank boshwell81
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked through Priceline and will NEVER do it again. Hotel room was smelly, there was garbage, cigarette buts and ashes in the radiator. Crumbs and pieces of food on the floor. The carpet was dirty and stained and the door didn't even lock properly. Booked for 2 nights, we didn't even stay for ONE night. We packed up and left.... too gross! I think HOJO should be ashamed to have their name connected with this place.

2 Thank Krista L
HOJOBluenose, Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank your your reveiw. As manager of the hotel I appreciate the comments. The motel is currently under renovations and I apologize your room was not up to your standards. I have addressed the issues you had with the room with the houskeeping staff. We are currently checking all wall unit air conditioners to assure there is no debris left in them. This is definetly an oversight on our part. As to your comment about the carpets, our carpets are cleaned on a regular basis. Once again I thank you for your review, and we will continue to address the items you have mentioned. I am glad we were able to touch base over the phone about the concerns you had, and I hope you will let us accomodate you another time in the future.
MISSISSAUGA
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Never stayed at a HoJo before and this first experience with them will definitely be the last! We booked a room with 3 queen beds because there were 6 of us all together. It was at the bottom floor with 1 Window... We didn't mind because it was a big room for all of us. So we just dropped off our stuff and we went sight seeing. When we came back we just noticed that the room didn't have air conditioning when the website hotel description said it did. So I told the front desk about it and we were moved to another room with an air conditioner. But before we got in the new room, the door lock was busted and not accepting our key card. The front desk staff at night, Greg, was very nice and patient and fixed the coding of the lock. The room it self was non smoking but it smelled like someone who smoked stayed in there. It was old, out dated and just felt dirty everywhere. The bathroom could use a facelift, and my mom-in-law found a centipede crawling in there. The tub had rust on the drain and the faucet was malfunctioning - the hot and cold water was all screwed up. The next day, I told the girl at the front desk that I needed 2 pillows and the floor vacuumed. She did not tell housekeeping. But housekeeping did come to change the garbage and made one bed only. Since housekeeping was already gone when we got back from more sightseeing, the carpet wasn't vacuumed. I offered to vacuum the room myself because the carpet was just old and yucky. I was not willing to wait the next day for housekeeping to come back. I have kids with me and having them walk on an old worn down carpet is just plain gross. They gave me the vacuum but it would not suck the dirt off the carpet. So they gave me another one that looked new which didn't have a rolling brush but sucked the dirt a bit better than the previous one. The towels and face cloths are old and Grey in color. As for the pillows I needed... They did not have extra so they took some from rooms that only had one guests. Not even sure if they changed the pillow case before giving them to me... Even if they weren't used. Will never return to this hotel!

1 Thank Rosalie D
Thank you for your review. As you said, our hotel is older and we are updating our rooms to better serve our guests. We have since notified maintenance about the hot and cold faucets and they are now working properly. I understand that you already had to move once because there was no air conditioning in your room. With this hot, humid summer we have had air conditioners breaking down almost daily unfortuneatly. We have just recently replaced four units with plans to replace more. We would have promtly moved you to another room if you were not satisfied upon walking into the room. A guest should never hesitate to speak of thier concerns and disatisfaction with any accommodations, If my staff was unable, for some reason not able to address your concerns, you should immediately contact me.

I have reviewed and showed your comments with the housekeeping staff. Once again thank you for the constructive comments.

Respectfully,