“Terrible!”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Houlton, Maine
“Terrible!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Booked through Hotwire - total rip-off. Room door didn't close properly, shower didn't drain, water in bathroom sink ran constantly, and you could only get scalding hot or ice cold water. Their so-called WiFi was impossible and dropped constantly; we were told it didn't reach our room because too many people were using it. The whole place is old and run-down and not very clean. There was no inside lock on the room door either. Staff couldn't do anything about our concerns, and of course, Hotwire just restated their no refunds policy. Stay away!!

Room Tip: DOnot book this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank seaside c
HOJOBluenose, Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for the review. The motel is currently under some renovations. Your dissatisfaction and concerns are taken very seriously by managment. If the front desk staff were not able to do anything for you it would be my suggestion that you have contacted me directly. I understand that hotwire has a no refund policy, but if I have an unsatisfied guest it is my policy to work directly with Hotwire and my guest.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I wish I read Trip Advisor before we booked this hotel! and maybe I shouldn't even be writing a review because we didn't stay for the night but I have to tell anyone considering this hotel to run the other way. Dirty, run down , windows did not lock ( and we were on the bottom floor with 2 small kids). Strange room set up. Smelled like mold. Bug in the window. Filthy ..filthy place! I took pictures it was that disgusting. Management did not care. Demanded our money back as I had already paid. Howard Johnson should be ashamed to have their name associated with this hotel. Do they not do audits? And this is also a Wyndham hotel...shame on them as well. You couldn't pay me to spend the night here.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SarahfromNB

Travelers are raving about these Halifax hotels

London, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We booked this place for 2 nights, and thought the 3-star rating would mean it was OK. The price was good. At first glance it looked OK. But then we checked it out. No place to hang towels in te bathroom. No place to set soap or shampoo in the shower/tub. The weatherstripping on the door was ripped loose at the bottom. And the floor was not clean -- although the laminate floor looked cleaner than it really was.

Breakfast was OK. Three types of cereal, watered-down "orange drink (not juice)". Muffins were not great. Two kinds of bread and an OK toaster. Coffee was pretty good. They also had some fresh fruit -- bananas and apple. There was no restriction no how much you could take.

Next day the young ladies who did the room ONLY made the bed. We had already asked them for fresh towels and they had given them to us, with the promise of a fresh bath mat after we left for the day. And my wife told the girl that the room was not clean, and the sink and shower/tub also needed cleaning. But when we returned they had not done anything other than take their tip and make the bed. Didn't empty the garbage, or even leave another bath mat, or even coffee packets.

I must say that the people on the front desk were very nice and helpful, especially Greg, who was very polite and did whatever he could for us.

We would definitely NOT stay here again. The Comfort Inn just down the Bedford Highway looked nice. I wish we would have stayed there. I thought HoJo would have had a better place than this.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay, ask for a refurbished room. At least the one we used had been redone fairly r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank misudad1
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Just 15 min from the downtown core in a quiet location with great ocean views. As I understand the hotel is under new ownership and management. The new owners have begun remodeling and the refurbished rooms have great duvets and new LCD tvs. The free wireless internet is a plus and staff were friendly and helpful. Complimentary continental breakfast is better than most and the restaurant, "Rio's", a new addition to the hotel, specializes in canadian, greek, and Japanese cuisine. The sushi chef is excellent and the food was great; an excellent value.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Virden, Mb.
Reviewed October 14, 2011

From our very enjoyable 3 night experiences at the start and end of our Nova Scotia holiday, we can only conclude that the new management has quickly addressed any previous issues.New paint,carpets,linens,and television with all the channels in a large room at the best price we found in Nova Scotia followed by a generous extended breakfast was our experience.Management and all staff were congenial and went above and beyond to meet our requests.No other hotel offered so much value or such a welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sikevirden
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Cheap hotel and you will see why. Run down buildings and rooms. Our room was impossible to find at 1am as number was out of order and round the side of the building. Lots of stairs to lug huge suitcases up. Musty smelling and depressing. Suspect there were bed bugs as my skin was crawling and woke up with little needlepoint sizes blood marks on arms and legs. Three good things: the night staff was extremely helpful, free internet PC and the breakfast was surprisingly yummy. Then the coke machine swallowed our money and when advising the morning lady of the broken machine she couldn't care less and refused to call the care hire company when the night shift person promised that they would do it for us. Would definately not recommend - spend a little more and give this a miss. The night staffer is a credit to this horrible hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heidi Z
HOJOBluenose, Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Your comment with reference to the alleged bed bug problem with the motel was taken very seriously. We have a contract with a highly reputable pest control company. Our property is inspected on a monthly basis, which is standrard for the industry. I immediately contacted our pest contral company and had an inspection completed. I am pleased to say there are no issues and was assured there wasn't a problem.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I truly wish we could have spoken in persopn before your departure.

Respectfully

Devra
Vancouver
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I asked for a change of room thrice and all three stunk of mildew. This property has serious humidity problems. I settled for a room that smelled like fresh paint instead of a mildewy one (what's worse?) because it was late at night, but I would like to tell everyone that is sensitive to smells or has respiratory problems to avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed August 2011