“The Best Choice for a Hotel In Halifax”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
florida
“The Best Choice for a Hotel In Halifax”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Our stay at the Cambridge Suites Hotel was the perfect way to start our vacation in the Canadian Maritimes. The hotel is chic and modern and newly renovated. It is centrally located -- across the street from the Citadel, around the corner from Spring Garden and just a few minutes from the waterfront.
As we were only staying one night, we opted for the standard guest room, which was much larger than that of most other hotels. It had two very comfortable beds, a sitting area, desk (with free wifi), a small kitchenette with fridge and microwave, and a large bathroom.
The service was outstanding. Everyone we encountered -- from the front desk staff to housekeepers to the managers at the evening reception -- were genuinely pleased to have us as guests.
We were pleasantly surprised to receive a welcome note from the guest services manager along with a bag of candies. What a wonderful treat.
The complimentary breakfast was more that your standard continentaly breakfast, offering fresh fruit, oatmeal and even hard boiled eggs, in addition to pastries and cereals. We made it back to the hotel at the end of the evening reception, but were able to enjoy a couple of sodas and a beer for my husband. It looked like a vegetable tray had been offered.
We did take a peek at the rooftop deck, which offers amazing 360-degree views of the city. There were a few chairs up there for sitting, plus a bbq grill. I imagine it is a popular place to be on summer nights.
You access the rooftop through the fitness center. Although we did not use it, it was equipped with a nice selection of equipment, plus a hot tub. There were saunas as well.
Overall, I would definitely, without hesitation, recommend the Cambridge Suites to anyone staying in Halifax.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank welovecruisesFlorida
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Hello welovecruisesFlorida and thank you for your detailed review. If I was the competition I would accuse us of writing that ourselves. It is very rewarded to read a review like yours and the employees who brought this review to my attention were PUMPED! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed at the Cambridge Suites for our wedding. We had many out of town guests who also stayed. The price was on par with other downtown Halifax hotels, but the service was above and beyond. The staff were SO helpful, friendly, and were fantastic at looking at our big group. We had approximately 15 rooms booked, and the hotel handled our guests like pros. Impressive--you should meet our families! :)

The rooms are a bit outdated (not my style of decor), but were always very clean. We had a fantastic view, and the restaurant downstairs was great for breakfast (didn't stay for other meals). The staff really made the difference on this one though. They seemed genuinely interested in making our stay as comfortable as possible. This is true of the front desk staff who were keeping an eye on the weather forecast for us for the wedding, the restaurant staff who provided with us with a great lunch the day of the wedding as we got ready, and the house keeping staff who cleaned up after our Bachelor/Bachelorette parties. Our dog stayed with us one night and they were great with pets too. Did I mention that they handled our families like pros? :)

Two thumbs up.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Congrats MeggieBeth on your recent wedding and thank you for staying with us. Can you join us every year for your anniversary? We hope so! Thank you for sharing your experience.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This is a lovely hotel! Two nights in Halifax well spent, central location, and very reasonably priced. The newly refurbished suites are modern and lovely. The view was a nice perk, and above all, the attention to detail by the front desk staff is worthy of note. Thank you for making our Halifax stay so pleasurable, we will be back, and we will tell our friends!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andiewest10
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
Thank you andiewest10 for staying with us. Our guest services team checks our current status and recent reviews on tripadvisor everyday and take a lot of pride in reading a review like yours. The morning shift on the front desk will be very pleased with what they read today. Thanks again.
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Went for business and stayed for a few extra nights for vacation. Although the tub was not updated, the rest of the suite had undergone renovations - the room layout worked really well - small kitchenette with dishes and a toaster ... went with my husband who is a very early raiser ... the bedroom section could be blocked off by 2 sets of doors allowing me to get some extra sleep while he worked on his computer and watched tv in the living room area. The suite had 2 tvs - one in the bedroom and one in the living/office room. The hotel was very clean and quite and I felt the staff really cared about your experience at both the hotel and in the general downtown Halifax area. Customer service was exceptional. Good continential breakfast too ... plus underground parking.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Thank you jsulliv for your comments. Our in house team is working on the bathrooms and we hope to have them completely revitilized in the coming months - Sorry you were disappointed with that aspect of your stay. By the descriptions you give it sounds like you stayed in one of our one bedroom suites which is a very popular style of room. Thank you again and we hope to host you again soon for business, pleasure or both.
Sydney
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I booked into Cambridge Suites Halifax for 5 nights pre coach tour and 2 post nights into a 1 bedroom suite. Having advised them of my allergies to fragrances I was placed on the 5th floor which is pet free to accommodate those with allergies. My first stay was in a king bed suite and I found this to be immaculate, spacious with 180 degree views of the harbour. The suite was exactly as pictured on their website, the bed most comfortable.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful along with the housekeeping who accommodated my request for kettle & extra tea as I am not a coffee drinker. The staff in Dorfsky's (restaurant attached to hotel) were also friendly and accommodating to requests.
Post stay was again on the 5th floor but in a suite with 2 double beds again most comfortable bed. This room was not as open as it had distinct rooms but the same views over the harbour (beautiful night city light views). Patron coin operated laundry facility with washing machine & dryers available. Other guests were having a party across the lobby which could be heard in the lobby but not in the room.
I was staying here at the start of my 2 month tour across Canada and have found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, to such an extent that I don't feel as though I am on holiday but at home.
Thoroughtly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Thank you Plantmania for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we wish you all the best on your cross Canada tour. We have an amazing country that I am sure you will enjoy. Safe travels!
New Brunswick
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My fiance and I travelled to Halifax and stayed at the Cambridge Suites for the Victoria Day long week-end and had an amazing time. The hotel staff are absolutely wonderful, from the front desk, waitress in the bar/restaurant (who recommended many places to visit and eat while in Halifax) to the wonderful girl who cleaned our room each morning. We absolutely loved the rooftop deck, where we and many other guests gathered to relax in the beautiful sunshine and view the entire city. The Cambridge Suites is so closely located to the waterfront, the casino and dozens and dozens of fabulous restaurants. We had an incredible view of the harbour which made the room that much more enjoyable. Thanks again and we plan to return again and again!!!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear rjrsaw, Thank you for your kind words. I could not believe the weather we had all Victoria Day weekend - it was really awesome. NB is only a few hours away so we can host you every weekend! OK how about every month? Whenever you decide to come visit Halifax it would be our pleasure to host you again. Thank you.
Tantallon, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I recently had the opportunity to spend the night at the Cambridge Suites Halifax with my husband who had to be downtown Halifax very early the next morning for work. Those of you in IT know what I mean when I say early morning system cutover. I had been in one of their suites a few years ago (before the renovations) and remembered it as a slightly dated hotel. I was more than pleasantly surprised when we entered the lobby. It has been renovated to look fresh and modern.

We arrived late in the evening and our check-in was relatively quick. The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were checked-in to a one bedroom suite facing the harbour with a wonderful view. The suite like the lobby had been renovated beautifully. It was modern, clean and comfortable. It had everything you could want for as a traveler:

• a separate spacious bedroom;
• two flat screen TVs (one in the bedroom, the other in the living room);
• a utilitarian kitchen with fridge, stove, sink & dishwasher, and;
• a sunken living room with pull-out sofa.

The only minor issues I had with the room were that I wish the bathroom was slightly bigger, the tub should have been re-glazed in the renovation to complete the newness feel of the room and there should be more soft lighting around the vanity in the bedroom.

The complimentary breakfast in the restaurant attached to the hotel was good as well. There were lots of options to choose for breakfast. I did not care for the fruit salad (tasted a bit sour) or the porridge (too watery) served that morning, but the lemon poppy seed muffins were great and coffee was decent.

Overall, I wouldn’t think twice about booking this hotel again. I think it is ideal for the business traveler or family travel and a great value for your travel dollar especially if you want to be in the downtown of Halifax. I am looking forward to the next stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
Thank you for your feedback WhereToNext23. We are proud of our renovations. The size the bathroom seams to be increasingly more important to travellers and I am sorry we didn't completely meet your expectations. I will follow up with the restaurant regarding the continental breakfast issues you raised and I hope you try us again soon.