“Great spot overlooking Halifax Harbour” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Suites - Halifax

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Orangeville, Canada
“Great spot overlooking Halifax Harbour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Location, location, location - this hotel is in a great spot in downtown Halifax near the Citadel. Ask for a harbour view from the 4th or 5th floor. Rooms are large and modern, beds are comfortable and the service is good. The hotel does not have a pool which is a let down, however the gym is on the top floor with a walk out from which you can see the entire city. Wi-Fi is free which is nice, but they do charge per day for parking. The breakfast is average, and the restaurant has a bit of a sterile cold feeling. It is not a luxury hotel, but if you are looking for value and location - enjoy your stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Doghouse66,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the hotel a review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and recognized the value. I have noted your comments about the restaurant and this is something that is a work in progress so stay tuned for some changes.

I hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Halifax!

Megan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked the hotel online. It did not mention the $16 parking fee although that is pretty normal in the city. The room was very nice and spotless. The bathroom is nice, the tub and shower do not match the rest but was clean and worked good. The kitchenette area is very functional. The hotel has a gym, hot tub, and sauna. Just out the doors from the fitness area is a roof top patio which we thoroughly enjoyed. There is also a breakfast included which was setup well, had lots to choose from including oatmeal and toppings, and was well managed. Everything was full and clean. Excellent breakfast. Our suite was near the ice machine. It was loud. No one used it until three a.m. It woke me up. I hadn't even noticed it was there. Also as the early risers filled cooler at 5 am we were also awakened. I am not sure how it could be so loud and they still sell that suite. We had planned a relaxing day and 3 am was too early to start it. We were glad to eat the delicious breakfast and checkout. It put a terrible damper on a potentially excellent hotel stay.

Room Tip: Stay far far away from the 3rd floor ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dan J,

I am very sorry about the noise the ice machine created while staying at the hotel. I know how important it is to get a great nights sleep especially when travelling so I am sorry about this. We are working on putting strips on the bottom of our guest room doors to help block out the noise.

Thanks for leaving us an honest review because without your comments we wouldn't know where we need to improve the hotel the most.

Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have never stayed at Cambridge Suites but decided we would give it a try since we had some friends with us and wanted suites plus adjoining rooms. We were very impressed with the rooms; nice size, nice beds. Location is perfect and very central. Staff was very nice. Although the breakfast room was very crowded, the food was good. We would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear runninfever,

Thanks so much for writing a review of the Cambridge in Halifax. I am very happy you were able to enjoy your stay. I hope you stay with us again when your travels bring you to Halifax.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

When choosing a hotel for my anniversary, I spoke with Mary, who was very helpful and very cheery, she helped decide that the Reconnect Your Way ('build your own') package would be ideal for me, and helped me to get a suite upgrade (always intended to get Jr Suite, but package option only applied to reg suite, so I used one 'perk' to upgrade the room) and hot breakfast, to get the best deal (parking was the cheapest fee, so we decided I would buy that at check-in). She answered all my questions and then offered to book me over the phone, it took a bit (I was at a noisy place) but she was patient and pleasant.
Check-in was simple, not overly warm or personal but efficient, friendly and helpful.We were congratulated on our anniversary, and given complimentary parking. With a bit of searching we found the parking; we hadn't asked, but couldn't see any signs, but it's at the back of the building. The room was lovely; third floor so we saw a lot of roofing. The sitting area in our suite was spacious and well-equipped: modern wallpaper, neat desk, modern (but very comfy!) sofa, and great kitchenette area. The bathroom was clean but standard (shower was great): the towels are ridiculously tiny though (pool's too). Bedroom looked small, but the bed was comfy and roomy dresser. There was only one bedside table and lamp (no bulb!) which I thought odd. The floor lamp was too high to read with. Mary had left an anniversary card for us on the bar and a chilled bottle of champagne, which was a lovely surprise.
Housekeeping checked in the evening to see if we had all we needed, which was nice. There's a selection of teas and coffee in the room and a little coffee maker, but no milk or creamers.
We tried to order a movie, but the TV selected another movie instead; we called the front desk to ask if we'd be charged for this and how to select the correct movie. The lady selected it for us and removed the first movie very quickly (she asked which room's TV we wanted to watch it in, but we discovered we can watch our saved movies on either -- nice surprise, but wish we'd known before). With the breakfast coupon (one of my package's perks), I had to redeem it in the dining room (bit of a drag, room service would've been nice), at 10:30am there were few people in there, but it was very simple and modern (I think it'd be a bit cramped when full though). Laoul/Loaul (sorry, I forget spelling) helped with my breakfast, and we shared a laugh. I asked to have it packed up so I could take it to my room, she offered to come and carry it up with me, but I insisted and she helped me with the elevator before thanking me. I had a hard time getting in my door with the heavy tray, but a housekeeping attendant (a Latino/Italian man) saw and helped me in and very nicely waited for me to set the food down before leaving. I don't know if Laoul forgot the utensils, but we used cutlery and side plates from the kitchenette (quite a lot of utensils and plates there-- toaster, dishrack and soap too). Breakfast was warm when we ate, but no doubt it was hot when first served. We went up to the fitness room to use the hot tub, we brought our second keycard which we discovered didn't work. We used the hall phones to call front desk and they came to let us in (and again to let us back in our room). The hot tub was only warm, but the natural light and view was nice. There's no instructions on how the sauna works.. You can walk out onto the rooftop, which is lovely and has a great view: there's nothing out there, but perhaps its furnished during summer. Fitness room towels were much bigger (but still not full-size) than room ones, so we took a few back to use in the room. Our room was by the ice machine, which we only heard once but might be annoying if it were busier. There was a commotion down the hall from us, perhaps between two guests, and shortly after there was another which my partner thought to be management dealing with it. It only lasted minutes and was muted through the walls (wouldn't have heard it if the man hadn't stepped out his doorway).
Check out was simple (would've liked later checkout, but Mary had allowed 2pm), congratulated again, thanked and invited back. Overall, it was fantastic. We both agreed that this is the one hotel we've stayed at that we've really wanted to stay at (not just to 'get away' but to actually just be at the hotel).
I'll also mention that the Manager emailed me after to thank us for our stay and review, which I thought was nice and personal.

Room Tip: I'd avoid floor 2 facing the harbour: there is a large building across the street, and you'l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Georgieanne,

First off, than you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed letter about your experience at the hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax on your anniversary.

I hope when you want to get away again you choose the Cambridge to host you.

Thanks again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Cambridge is a great location to visit Halifax. Good restaurant.Very clean, and exellent service. It's near tourist sites and the price was very good. There was 8 in our party and everyone was well pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TBC005
Dear TBC005,

Thank you TBC005 for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge in Halifax. We are happy you and your party enjoyed themselves.

We hope to host you again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I had bad experience with Cambridge Suite Hotel, uncomfortable bed and pillows. Also the smell of the room 620 was very bad. I did upgrade my room to queen studio with Harbur view, but wasn't good idea. I thought I will good room, but unfortunately the room is very small and the smell of the living room was very bad. Also, there was no WI-FI in the bedroom 620. And the air conditioner was beside my head and was very noisy. However, the staff and services was good. I don't recommend it and never stay again. See my pictures

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Yousef A,

I am very sorry to hear that you had an unsatisfactory stay at the Cambridge. As you can see from the other reviews we take great pride in doing a good job for our guests. I am very sorry about your concerns and rest assured I have looked into all of them.

My apologies,

Durham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Cambridge Suites on two separate occasions and had wonderful experiences. The location is great, walking distance to everything. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, their dining recommendations were great and made our trip to Halifax a memorable one.

The rooms are very clean and spacious. The top floor has great views and they even have rooftop access which I've heard boasts incredible views on a clear day. (It was raining during our stay so we did not visit the rooftop). Breakfast was great, and in-room dining was lightning fast!

We will certainly return when in Halifax!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise and beautiful views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear PalatableCalamity,

I am very happy to hear you had a great experience when staying at the Cambridge Suite Hotel. I love hearing about how much guests enjoy their experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.