“Nice hotel”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I'm not a big fan of hotels and usually prefer B&Bs to the hotels but in Halifax, nice B&Bs were so expensive so I decided to try this Hotel.
We went there with our little 6 months old baby and my mom and got two rooms.
The rooms are huge so no problem with the baby crib. However the bathroom is small.
Rooms were clean as well.
All together a nice place to stay in Halifax.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear MaryamSeb,

I am happy to hear that you gave the Cambridge Suites a shot and ended up enjoying your stay. We take great pride in having a nice, clean product for everyone to enjoy.

I hope that if you come back to Halifax you will choose to stay with us again!

Kind Regards,

Megan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,772)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel's location is perfect. It's right downtown and in walking distance to everything that you need, but yet when you're in your room, you don't hear any of the downtown noise. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and updated. I had a normal room which included a couch, sink microwave and a desk. Internet speeds are also more than acceptable. The continental breakfast lacks a bit in the choice department but hey, its better than nothing. The hotel tries hard to be different with Social Wednesdays where free drinks and finger foods are served and you get to meet the staff and other guests which I enjoyed. They also have staff led runs on Thursdays where I guess you can go out and run? I didn't go as I'm too fat to run but still a good idea.

Overall its one of these hotels that doesn't wow you but I would not hesitate to come back here for another stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear PraiseTheHitachi,

First off, the title of your review made me chuckle out loud. Thank you for that. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and the facilities and products we offer. I do hope that next time we have an opportunity to 'wow you'.

Unitl then,

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I spent recently three nights in the Cambridge Suites in Halifax and I was not disappointed. The hotel is well located within easy walking distance of most of the main attractions of Halifax including the Citadel and the Waterfront. There are also a large number of restaurants in the vicinity. The rooms are large and nicely furnished and, at least for those on the higher floors, offer a nice view of the city and waterfront or of the Citadel. As the name of the hotel indicates it, there are some basic facilities to prepare a (simple) meal in your room with microwave, fridge and sink but the access to the microwave and the cabinet holding the tableware is hampered by the couch. While most of the features of the hotel reflect high quality standards, they are a few items which are screaming “cheap” such as the linen and towels, the very noisy fan of the bathroom or even the vestibules leading the rooms which are rather dark and unattractive. However, it is something I can live with as the price for the rooms is definitively more on the cheap side than on the luxury side
I did not realize until the last day of my stay that the restaurant where the (free) breakfast is served was also offering light meals during the day. I wish I had known earlier as the meals and desserts were excellent and beautifully presented in addition to being reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Paul603,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of the hotel. We appreciate honest feedback so we know where to concentrate our efforts. We are happy you enjoy the existing space and stay tuned for more updates in the upcoming months.

Thanks again,

Reviewed May 25, 2013

It really is great value, lovely staff, very good breakfast. You pay the same as a major hotel, but with added benefits, including the kitchenette, with fridge microwave, and larger room. Only niggle I had was that for some reason the door to the room does not completely meet the floor which means light comes through and you hear all noise in the hallway. It was grad at Dal when we stayed there, so lots of very late night traffic that was a bit of an issue. Not parties, but more, general conversation in the hall came into our room.
If they coul fix the door issue it would be perfect.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear academic1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave the hotel a review. The hotel is happy you enjoy your stays with us and the hotel looks forward to welcoming you back in the future.

I completely understand the issue with the door and this is something the hotel is working on. We recently replaced our carpet and it has made this issue more apparent. The hotel is in the process of putting a strip on the bottom of all the doors so this is no longer an issue.

Thanks again,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

In the last year or so, I rediscovered the Cambridge Suites hotel in Halifax. I often stay in Halifax for business and usually stay at another hotel. Upon the recommendation of a friend, I decided to switch to the Cambridge Suites. What a treat. The rooms are bigger, with more amenities (microwave, dish sink and dishes, large fridge) and the price is less than what you'd pay at some other Halifax hotels. A hot breakfast is also included in the price. You can't beat it. Each time I stay there, I always get an email from the Hotel following my stay as an opportunity to rate my stay and provide feedback. I take this opportunity to be honest. On a couple of occasions, I have offered feedback on the room as well as the gym equipment, my feedback was not only appreciated, but they actually followed through on my suggestions!!! Oh, if you stay there on a Wednesday night.....you can take part in the cocktail reception with hot and cold snacks.....FREE!! I've booked 3 more nights within the next month. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: One drawback, especially if you are travelling with children....no pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hello JillBP,

A review can't get much better than the one you just left us. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Just in case you do want to use a pool as a guest of the Cambridge Suites Hotel you can use the pool at the Prince George at no cost. You just have to show proof at the front desk of the Prince George to gain access.

We are looking forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Once again in Halifax with our Imax documentary film crew: this hotel offered us a central location, close to several great restaurants, some cool coffee shops and historical sites. I had a "one-king-bedroom-suite" which was even more comfortable and spacious than the photos on the Web site suggest. Restaurant on main floor (but independent) presented honest food at a very decent price. Personnel was everything you would expect from a standard hotel, courteous and helpful every time. Hall and lobby are rather small and parking is not easily accessible in the area - but all in all, this is the hotel I will go back to when we shoot again in Halifax.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Chovinsky,

Thank you so much for leaving a review of the hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. We are looking forward to when we can welcome you back to the hotel.

See you soon,

Reviewed May 21, 2013

A friend and I stayed here during the Victoria Day week-end; I came to run the Bluenose run. The hotel is in a great location, close to many attractions, pubs, and the waterfront. the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, they really gave credence to the term "maritime hospitality". The suite was comfortable, spacious, and very clean.
There were a only a few downsides to our week-end stay. We were in a room situated over the parking lot and entrance which meant that with the window open, we heard a lot of noise below and had cigarette smoke wafting into the room; (the hotel was sold out so staff were unable to provide us with a different suite). There was also a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor which let more sound and light in from the hallway. (We fixed the issue somewhat by stuffing towels under the door!)
The whirlpool was great the first eve, it's up on the top floor and provided a lovely view of the city; but the next night the water was very murky and dirty looking, and the upper jets were not working.
The wi-fi connection was also not very good. Wi-fi and the whirlpool were two of the features we were looking for so this was a bit disappointing. Overall though, we had a great stay; I am coming back to Halifax in August and will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MEKeat,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the hotel a review. I am happy you chose to stay with us while in town for the Bluenose Marathon. I am sorry about the issues you had while staying with us. Downtown is noisy right now and having the gap under your door surely didn't help. We recently replaced the carpet and it has made this issue a bit more apparent. We are actually in the process of putting a strip on the bottom of the door so towels are no longer required.

I will also look into the issues you had with the internet and whirlpool.

We hope to see you again soon,