“Minor qualms aside, an excellent experience”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed May 7, 2013

When I say "minor qualms", I want to make note that, anything negative I could say about this hotel and/or my recent stay boils down to nothing more than personal preference, or things that were not necessarily the fault of the hotel. I found my mattress to be too soft, but, that's because I prefer a firm mattress - if you prefer a soft mattress, you'll love your bed at Cambridge. I found it odd that the hotel kitchen was closed prior to 10 PM on a Saturday - but I've since come to realize that that's something of an industry standard, and it was an untypical situation that had me even attempting to call upon the kitchen after 10 PM to begin with, so that's hardly something to hold against the hotel. I had slight issues with the toilet not wanting to flush properly, before realizing that, hey, it's a low-flow toilet and that's just what low-flow toilets DO. Again, not the hotel's fault for trying to be greener. And I didn't particularly enjoy one of my meals from the kitchen, as I'm not typically a fan of cornbread, but, I ordered a dish knowing it came with cornbread so, I knew what I was doing and again, won't blame the hotel for something that I decided to do myself.

Objectively speaking, the Cambridge Suites is a phenomenal hotel. It's an ideal location for a downtown stay (being located right on Brunswick Street with easy and quick access to both Spring Garden Road and the entirety of the downtown core) with a beautiful view from any side. The staff are very friendly, from the check-in staff to housekeeping to the kitchen and beyond. I was immediately offered an upgrade to a larger room at check-in which I politely declined, but I consider that to be a very nice touch when available. Upon arrival, the room was very clean and well-organized. High-speed internet was as advertised, very quick, with no down-time on either mobile or laptop PC. My Sunday-morning 9 AM wake-up call occurred at exactly 9:00:14 AM, underscoring the quickness, dedication and effectiveness of the staff. I did not make use of the rooftop amenities, but in taking a few minutes to observe them, they are wonderful if you are so inclined. In terms of value, I feel as though my money was much more effectively spent at Cambridge for the return I received than at any other downtown hotel. Sometimes it's hard to believe the hype with a hotel as well-reviewed as Cambridge, but trust me when I say, you can believe in the Cambridge Suites.

Room Tip: Don't get stuck on the idea that you have to have a Harbourside view - the view of Brunswick Str...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Scott_Travis_CSH, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thanks JRobar for reviewing our property. I will definitely check out the saturday kitchen closure prior to 10pm because 10pm is our standard time to start to shut down service..... not at 5 or 10 to! Sorry for this nuisance. I hope we can welcome you back very soon when visiting Halifax. Thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My fiancé and I are planning our wedding this summer. We immediately thought of Cambridge Suites for ourselves & also our 65 guests, who also require a room.
Upon arriving and asking questions about a possible honeymoon suite, the front desk clerk (blonde hair) pulled out a binder and tried to find a picture of a "suite"...or lack there of, as there was not a picture in the binder. She then pointed to a digital picture frame and said a picture of the suite should be on there!!! Seriously!?! We wished to view a suite and had to ask for this! It was not mentioned to us at all. We then waited for 15 minutes and still have not viewed a suite. My fiancé and I left Cambridge Suites and shall never return! I have no idea who was to show us the suite, as the two front desk clerks were too busy to care.
I find irony in the hotel's name Cambridge "Suites"...just don't expect to view one, unless you enjoy watching digital picture frames.
VERY disappointing Halifax :(

• Stayed: April 2013
Scott_Travis_CSH, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

I am so sorry Crystyle112 that this is the impression you have of the Cambridge Suites because this is not what we are all about. I am also sorry that we lost the chance to host you, your family and friends on maybe one of (if not the) most important day of your life. I completely understand if you won't take me up on this offer but if you give us the chance I will tour you and your fiance myself (any time of day - you just tell me when). Myself and this team will do our best to prove to you that you were making the best decision in coming here to take a peek at one of our suites. I also promise you I will follow up with all staff involved so they know full well how we made you and your fiance feel. I am so sorry and again if you were willing to have a tour or just wish to discuss this situation further I am always available at stravis@cambridgesuiteshotel.com or at 902-420-0555 (and my name is Scott). I am totally sorry and I hope I get a chance to speak to you about this.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife & I stayed here overnight April 13 2013.We were upgraded from a 1 bedroom to a 1 bedroom suite and we were really impressed.This is one of the nicest hotels that I have stayed in.The staff were very friendly and helpful.I ordered room service,and our bottle of wine arrived very quickly.The room was very clean,the bed was very comfortable.We had a room with a view of Halifax harbour,and could also see part of the downtown area.The shower was clean & hot.

Room Tip: The view of the harbour was worth paying a little extra for.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guysmontess
Scott_Travis_CSH, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thanks GuysMontess for posting a review and for deciding to stay with us. I love our one bedroom suites and when I stay here (which I do once a month) I love staying in that style of suites. Again thanks for the shout out and we will see you next time..... which we hope is soon because after all you only live an hour away!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Of the 5 downtown Halifax hotels I've stayed in, I would say Cambridge Suites is the best all around. Great view, excellent location, very warm reception, spacious rooms and suites. Clean and well maintained. Great place for dogs. Staff are quick to acknowledge repeat visits and provide upgrades on special occasions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Merriam123 and thanks for putting us at the top of your list. Halifax has some amazing hotels so that is an awesome compliment - thank you and we hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the suite that we stayed in had everything that we needed. The hotel location was within walking distance of lots of attractions and restaurants in downtown Halifax. The Harbor view from the roof was fantastic. The service was excellent-at check out we had to leave at 5am to catch an early flight back home and they made us breakfast to go.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Go Oilers Go! Thank you Experienced_Foody for the kind Tripadvisor words and I am glad our Night Auditors looked after a snack to go for you. We appreciate your support.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

On the plus side, the location is great - right across from the Citadel and in easy walking distance of many attractions. The room was okay. The breakfast is marginal but the real problem was the partying that went on and on until the wee hours of the night. The noise was so great that it felt like the people in the halls and next door were actually in our room. It was quieter during the week but I would avoid the place on week-ends when there might be weddings or other celebrations going on.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott_Travis_CSH, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Good morning WeVentureForth. I am sorry noise from your "neighbors" ruined what seems like a good visit with us otherwise. The disrespect of some people often cause frustrations for other which is unfortunate and I am sorry this was the case for you. We always do our best to minimize noise that disrupts others and have from time to time been accused of being too quick on the draw in handing out "warnings" to neighbors like you experienced. The bottom line is you didn't enjoy your stay with us and for that I am very sorry. I hope we get a second chance to show you your experience is not typical of our property.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here based on reviews posted in Trip Advisor. The beds were sagging and lumpy, and the pillows were unusable. The room was dingy and dated. Front desk clerk talked us into updating to a one bedroom suite, which included breakfast. The waitress couldn't get the breakfast order right and the food was marginal. Terrible experience from start to finish.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nancy M
Scott_Travis_CSH, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Good Morning Nancy M. I am so sorry that we let you down on your recent stay. Your comment regarding our beds is not something we usually hear. All of our mattresses and box springs were replaced in March of 2010 and we bought incredible Simmons 25 year pillow top mattresses...... we almost always get rave reviews about our beds realizing some guests like softer or firmer beds than others. I can assure we take your comments very seriously and I can only hope we get a chance to prove to you that your stay wasn't the normal experience we provide. I truly hope we get that chance in the future.