Halifax airport is a very long way from the city (35 km). Looking for a place to stay that would enable me to catch a morning flight, this Holiday Inn Express was a welcome site.
It is right beside the highway at one of the exits into Bedford, an old suburb of Halifax. The hotel is first on a short commercial strip that has a large 24-hour gas station, a reasonably priced family restaurant, a drug store, a Tim Horton's, and a few other services. Beyond the strip, there is little along the old roads and neighbourhoods that line Bedford Basin on your drive into Halifax. Better to take the highway. I suppose one could use this place as a low-cost base to explore the Halifax area, but if your focus is downtown I would suggest staying there and exploring on foot.
The weekend rate of $117 for a double bed and breakfast was just right. That price included high-speed internet and coffee any time. My room was adequate. It was quiet -- it overlooked the parking lot at the rear and it was on the top (3rd floor). The queen bed was ordinary, if a little stiff. The air conditioning was too noisy, but I was able to turn it off and open the windows for ventilation. With a room key, I was able to enter through one of the rear doors and use the stairs, since the single elevator was too slow for a hotel this size. I enjoyed a decent breakfast in the pleasant lobby dining area. The staff were few but efficient, as befits this type of hotel. There is a lot of parking space.
On the negative side, the common areas smelled poorly. As if the carpet cleaners had used too strong a disinfectant. In general, the decor felt old and a little musty, as if the ownership was contemplating an upgrade but hadn't got around to it yet. Finally, the road access into the hotel is an awkward turn across two lanes of traffic. The lane up to the hotel is poorly marked and doubles as access to the Tim Horton's drive-thru window. This made for some awkward encounters as I returned in the evening and again when I left in the early morning.
Overall, this is a decent, middle-aged motor hotel that offers good value on the dollar for car-oriented travellers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We Welcome You to the Chateau Bedford HotelLooking for Halifax hotels near Bedford? Look no further than the Chateau Bedford, located at Exit 2, off Highway 102. Our hotel in Halifax is just a short drive from many attractions in the Halifax Regional Municipality. When you stay in Halifax, Nova Scotia hotels, stay at the Chateau Bedford. Just minutes from historic downtown Halifax, our hotel is near the Hemlock Ravine Park and historic Peggy's Cove. Are you a prospective student visiting colleges near our hotel? Halifax has many nearby colleges and universities, including Dalhousie University, St. Mary's University and Nova Scotia College of Art and Design University.Among hotels in Halifax, the Chateau Bedford is the best solution for your business needs. Our hotel is located near Bayers Lake Business Park, Atlantic Acres, Lakeside Industrial Park and Ragged Lake Business Park. Our business centre offers copy, fax and print services as well as free high-speed, wired and wireless Internet access. For the corporate traveler looking for event space, our hotel in Halifax, Nova Scotia features two meeting rooms.At our hotel in Halifax near Bedford, you can enjoy swimming in an indoor pool and burning calories at our fitness centre. With the high-speed Internet access available throughout our hotel, you can keep in touch with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau Bedford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Halifax / Bedford Hotel Halifax
- Holiday Inn Halifax
- Halifax Holiday Inn
- Chateau Bedford Halifax, Nova Scotia