“Great Restaurant with good food”
Review of Pipa Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Pipa Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you are looking for a good restaurant, you have got to try Pipa. I love this place! We went for dinner and our server Sammy, who had a great sense of humour, recommend that we try the kale soup and fish stew Moqueca de Peixe, which was fantastic. Their cheese and cassava bread is like nothing you have ever had (I need the recipe). Too full for dessert. The restaurant has that rustic look and romantic feeling. If going for dinner, make reservations as they seem to fill up fast.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The service was very good, food very tasty. The restaurant has a cozy feeling, old and rustic charm. I ordered the Chicken Piri Piri. Free range chicken cooked to perfection, lovely assortment on my plate, salad, rice, vegetables, chicken with fresh tomato chunky sauce. Loved it and would order it again. The menu is varied and unique, lots of seafood. My husband ordered a steak and said it was good, certainly large. We ordered the coconut/prune/caramel dessert. Interesting, light and very sweet. Lots of gluten-free on the menu for those who may choose. Will most likely return for a second time soon.

2  Thank SaSaa_12
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hadn't seen any reviews for this place but was excited when we saw they had chicken piri-piri on the menu. Having tried this dish in Portugal we thought we knew what to expect. Alarm bells should have rang straight off when we walked into the place and found no-one there to greet us. We waited a few minutes before anyone came out. Our server Sammy then came out and told us to take a seat anywhere, then added, any two-seated table. Found this a bit strange as there were only two other small tables occupied. We found a very small, wobbly two seater in the corner next to the cold radiator - thankfully we found the on switch, and were given our paper menus. Having already decided upon the Chicken Piri-Piri this is what we opted for. How disappointing! The overall look of the plate was like a dogs dinner. Rice (the nicest thing on the plate), chicken, sauce and salad all thrown together on the one plate. The chicken was dry and hard and just seemed to be a very below grade piece of poultry. Not sure what the sauce was but it certainly didn't taste like any Piri-Piri I have ever tried. It was more like a tomato salsa with a few jalapenos chopped into it for good measure. The whole dish was like something you would get in a microwave dinner. Not impressed. When we told Sammy, he gave us some blurb about their usual chicken supplier not working over the holidays - then why is it on the menu and at full price????? This to me shows he was well aware that their chicken was not up to scratch but they continue to serve it - does no-one taste their food before they serve it up?? Very concerning! We were offered something else off the menu but to be honest had kind of lost our appetites by then. We paid for our drinks and left. No apology although Sammy did say he would tell his boss the owner - I sincerely hope he does and they take a close look at what they are serving and charging top dollar for. Will not be going back to Pipas!

5  Thank L M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Complete garbage I must say. The service is horrible and when I asked to speak to the manager to inform them of the rude attitude of the server I was informed that the server was "one" of the managers? i told her to get someone higher than her so she left and came back and told us that the manager wasnt going to come and see our table so if we wanted to speak to them we would have to go find them.
My husband left to find the manager and the server stood at the table talking down to me saying she wasnt being rude etc. i told her to enjoy her night and she kept standing there saying "mmmmhmmmm yeah i will i will" as soon as my husband returned i went to talk to the manager myself i have worked as a Manager at 2 international night clubs in Dubai and Ibizza and NEVER have i see customer service so bad.
When i found the Owner/Manager i was boiling over this servers attitude and ready to tell her how her staff represented her restaurant. The server however was standing beside her; which didnt matter to me and i began to explain, i was interrupted by the server telling me i was a "Lier" and "Making Up Stories". I said Look i have a 4 month old at home i dont go out alot but when i come and spend $100+ dollars with my husband i expect come courteously. the Owner/Manager didnt seem to care what came out of my mouth which made me more upset. Finally a man (the other Owner) came and was finally very nice and asked what would make our night better free food or round of drinks. i told him we didnt want anything we just didnt want that server anymore and to inform them of how she treats customers.

As we were leaving for the night the server shouted "have a good night i hope you trip on the way out"???? unbelievable.

Needless to say my husband and i used to be regulars will never ever go back to that place again.

6  Thank Foxyone1986
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Pipa's is a very unique restaurant in Halifax and situated in the entertainment district of Halifax on Argyle. The restaurant has a room to host a great event...a must try