“It's a cemetery”

Fairview Lawn Cemetery
Ranked #10 of 144 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: The final and noteworthy resting place for many of the victims of the Titanic.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I didn't know anything about this cemetery but was talked into going with the people I was with. If it had been completely free, I'd say it was worthwhile but we paid for a cab there and back (about $40). The claim to fame is that it's home to some of the Titanic casualties, many unnamed. I didn't realize that Halifax played a large role in recovery and rescue from this event. It was also historically interesting to read some of the epitaphs from the families of the known deceased.
What I didn't like is that it recently was the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic and much has been made of this cemetery. To the point of trodden grass and tour groups. The area where they are buried is also right next to other "normal" graves and these tend to get walked all over.
I did enjoy learning about this but I didn't like that it seems like an exploited place.

4  Thank sraeemery

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Standing in front of this special place where travellers of the famous Titanic found their place to rest in peace was for me very emontional - especially the story about the unknown child.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

At first we weren't too keen on taking a public bus to a cemetery to see the graves of many Titanic victims. Once we arrived and made the short walk from the bus stop to the section of the cemetery where the victims are honored was sobering. Reading some of the headstones really brought home the impact of the disaster. The section is very well done. You can take a tour, have a taxi driver bring you there and educate you. We went on our own on a budget.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Who isn't interested in where the fictional Jack Dawson is buried? Well, strange as it is there is a J Dawson (number 227) who is buried at Fairview Lawn and his gravestone is the most popular. However, there are some stones that are a little bigger with more writing, that give the visitor a little more understanding of just who went down with the ship. Interesting place, many facts available on site. We found everyone respectful of the site. Parking inside the gates.

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This was very interesting indeed. To learn of the backgrounds of those whose bodies were plucked from the sea following the sinking of the Titanic was very informative. A solemn spot worth the time to learn and reflect.