Waverley Inn
Hotels.com
$186
Westin.com
  • Pool
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites(Halifax)
$210
$187
  • Restaurant
$223
  • Pool
Cambridge Suites - Halifax(Halifax)
$232
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$128
$117
All reviewsoscar wildeno elevatorfree parkingantique furnitureblues bargreat locationfirst floorhenry housedowntown halifaxwithin walking distancebreakfast roomtea and coffeebarrington streetmain floorjacuzzi tubflights of stairsbaked goods
Reviewed January 7, 2006

We arrived in Halifax in the rain with our yet to be set up tent and camping gear still in the trunk. The Tall Ships were in town for one more night so of course, there were very few rooms to be had. After several unsuccessfull phone attempts, I said to my husband "there is an inn - do you want me to try?". SUCCESS! We booked for one evening (as my husband doesn't like B&B style inns) much to my happiness. We stayed for 4 days in 3 different rooms and the only reason we didn't stay for 5 was because they were full! My husband has since changed his mind on B&B Inns - thanks strictly to The Waverly.

The room rates for mid- summer were very reasonable ($150-$190). The staff were incredible, the rooms sumptuous, the breakfast fulfilling and overall an absolutely splendid experience! I would highly recommend this inn to any couple looking for a romantic or recharging get-away.

We will definately be staying here on our next trip to Halifax.

• Stayed: August 2004
8  Thank jodubya
A TripAdvisor Member
Barrington, Nova Scotia
Reviewed December 12, 2005

Just to add a "local" comment... we live several hours from Halifax and we've stayed at the Waverley probably ten times over the years. It's different, it's unique, it's special.

Yes you'll find strange arrangements of rooms, since it's been chopped, sliced, and extended over the years into the rooms it now has, but that adds a certain charm. The furnishings are fantastic... an Antiques Roadshow right in your room!

Over the years we've stayed in many of the notable rooms-- The Oscar Wilde (our fav, looking over Barrington Street-- though his ghost has fortunately never appeared), the Roman Sisters, etc. There are a couple of cubby-holes we would avoid, but most of the rest of them are fascinating.

The ability to make your own breakfast, read the paper, and chat with other guests while admiring the fantastic antique dining furniture is a morning treat, especially for an early riser like me, and being able to pop in for a snack during the day is great.

And Christmas! Fantastic Victorian decorations abound to make it a dream world!

If you want the stark white formula of a newer hotel, have it... the Waverley is special.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Waverly based on Trip Advisor's raving reviews in Sept 2005. It was "wacky" and one of a kind, but we found as we traveled through Nova Scotia's lovely inns and B&Bs, that there were many more comfortable and charming places to stay elsewhere. Perhaps this is the best that Halifax has to offer, but I wouldn't base myself out of the Waverly for too many days for fear that accomodations elsewhere might not be up to snuff. Quite the opposite.

Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank sari_mak
Reviewed October 23, 2005

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Waverley Inn for 2 nights. This place is really nice! It is very clean, classy and has that "old world charm" feeling to it. The rooms are exquisitely decorated with lots of nice touches. For example, extra big fluffy pillows, extra blankets, the beds are high up off the floor, like in the "old days." The rooms are very unique, not boring or run-of-the-mill like major chain hotels' rooms. The rooms are spacious enough for one's needs, I found.

The staff is very nice and friendly. The guest feels welcome. There are 2 laptop computers for guests' use any time of day; no charge to use these computers, which are just off the lobby area. Breakfast downstairs was nice, filling and adequate. Breakfast consisted of cereals, breads, bagels, fruits, juices, coffee, tea. There was a toaster there for one's use. Breakfast was not "hot table", so there was no bacon, eggs, sausage or stuff like that. Just to let you know what to expect there.

Also an extra nice touch was ..... from 4 PM to 9 PM, there are refreshments consisting of coffee (regular & decaf), various teas, and cookies/pastries spread out in the lobby on the table for the guests. Not many places do this!

The hotel is in a nice area, not far from VIA rail and also only 2 blocks away is a big grocery store, in case you need stuff for your trip. The hotel is within walking distance to Halifax's downtown and sightseeings.

I did not see an elevator here, there are 3 floors to the hotel. Overall, this is a very pleasant place to stay at, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who comes to Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank HumnaHumna
Reviewed August 31, 2005

My husband and I stayed here with our two teenage daugthers in August, 2005. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, nicely decorated. The breakfasts were self-serve and simple, but adequate. The Inn is a good location for walking to the sights of Halifax and we highly recommend the Henry House as a place for dinner (just down the street). We would stay her again!

• Stayed: August 2005