“Amazing visit once again”
Review of Waverley Inn

Waverley Inn
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Moncton, Canada
“Amazing visit once again”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We need more Inns like the Waverley - loved the clean room and bath - there are not enough words to describe the atmosphere and the decor - the on site parking is a bonus - enjoy the experience, the place, and the people. We will return again!

Room Tip: upgrade to the larger rooms to be wow'd - there will be no regret and lots of wow!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carsalesguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Beautiful vintage hotel with lots of character. The room is small but has lots of charm. This would not be for everyone but we loved the historic feeling! Walking distance to everything. Front desk staff actually seem to care if they guests are happy or not. A nice hot breakfast was included and served in the basement.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rob2456
watford
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our Canadian maritime holiday and found it to be perfect. It is well situated for the quayside and all the attractions that go with it as well as the Citadel and restaurants. The hotel itself is a little quirky but with a great sense of Victorian history. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is constant tea and coffee with biscuits outside the rooms. It was a very pleasurable stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank valgardening
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Waverley Inn at the start and end of our holiday in Nova Scotia. The stay at the start was a hit; unfortunately the second stay was more of a miss! Reviewing the first stay first, we had two rooms; a double and a family room. Both were comfortable although the double was a little small. They were also away from the front of the hotel and we were not disturbed during the night. Breakfast was acceptable but nothing to write home about! The staff were very helpful and so we decided to stay again on our return to Halifax. We asked for the same rooms and were told that shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately we didn't get the same rooms. The family room was at the front of the hotel and we were woken by shouting in the street in the early hours which went on for about 30 minutes to an hour. We should have called the front desk but you always think this will stop soon! In the double room the heating was stuck on full blast. Again we didn't mention this until the morning so accept there was nothing the hotel could do in hindsight. However, if they'd given us the rooms they promised.... Before booking again we had asked if there was somewhere secure we could leave our bags as our flight home wasn't until late at night. We were assured there was but it turned out to be the front parlour that everybody had access to. There wasn't a member of staff there at all times either. I pointed this out to the lady on the desk but her only argument was that nothing had been stolen before, but they couldn't guarantee anything. The hotel was by no means full so I asked if they could lock it in a room that wasn't being used. They wouldn't do that. It was a disappointing end to a fantastic holiday where nothing was too much trouble for most of our hosts. We felt that we had been deceived to a certain extent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul W
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Very much a "period piece," a stay at this hotel is like stepping back in time, but the facilities are completely modern. We made our reservations online directly through the hotel's website and saved $20 from the "best price" on Expedia. We stayed in a classic double room which means you have to walk up three flights of stairs...the room was small but nicely appointed...3-piece bath with shower. The ambiance is old world with many antiques and a very cozy sitting room. The special winter price included a hot continental breakfast for two. Downtown location and free on-site parking makes this hotel a real deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Piscesman1946
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We chose this at least partly on the strength of reviews plus location and free parking. The Sheriff's Lady and I came away feeling just a little so-so about the experience. This is a historic building and some allowance needs to be made for that. The public parts of the hotel work quite well and some of the reception staff give a real welcome to guests - others were a bit off-hand. Our room was a bit of a disappointment - lacking storage space and with a rather shabby bathroom despite the claims to refurbishment. Some of the linen and towels had seen better days and the cleaning wasn't top-notch. However, it was quiet and within walking distance of the historic bits of Halifax. Breakfast is served in a rather dank basement with a limited buffet that presents an unappetizing array of cheap-looking food that regularly ran out. The restocking and table-clearing reminded me of some of the less salubrious student dorms that I have occasionally stayed in for budget conferences. It's the sort of place you could put up with for a couple of nights because of the location and a long way from the worst hotel that we have stayed in - but we couldn't see what justified the enthusiasm of some recent reviewers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_Sherriff
Toronto/Ottawa
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a recent business trip. I was really pleasantly surprised when I arrived, because my office had booked the Inn for me and I was expecting the worst. The hotel is stunning. Period. The antiques are amazing, the décor is spot on, and it's palacial when you walk in. Love the chandelier in the main lobby, too!
The staff were lovely and efficient when I checked in, and I was so excited to learn I'd be staying in the "Oscar Wilde suite", which was named as such because he stayed in the room in October 1882! Unfortunately the hotel does not have an elevator, which adds to the authenticity of the experience of staying in a historic manor like this, but which unfortunately means you could be climbing a few flights of stairs. However, the staff offered (and did) to carry my bags up to my room, which was great because I was lugging a ton of stuff.

The room itself was beautiful. I felt like I was back in the 1800s (but in the best sense of the word!). It was pretty clean, really tidy and well cared for. The bed was impossibly comfy! I had a hard time getting out of it in the mornings!

The breakfast that was included in the price of the room was super! It included hardboiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, granola, cereal, pastries, muffins, breads, hashbrowns, french toast, quiche, coffee, juice, etc. More than enough!

Unfortunately, as with even the best hotels, there are few things that might be improved upon:
1) The bathroom fan (which turns on automatically with the bathroom light) was incredibly noisy and bothersome. I found myself going to the washroom in the dark, because the fan was just so loud that I didn't want to hear it any more than I absolutely had to.
2) The hotel needs to provide larger bath towels. The small, standard ones just don't cut it for most people. I wanted to really wrap myself up after my shower, and instead I stood there freezing and half uncovered.
3) The shower head in the bathtub is lousy, old and a bit yucky. I wish they would have sprung for something a bit more sophisticated.
4) They need more channels! Unless I am missing something, it would appear that I didn't even get cable in my room. There were only 5 channels that worked.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. I loved feeling enveloped in history! What a great experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business