“Very good service”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Nova Scotia
“Very good service”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed for one night and everyone was very hospitible. The front desk staff was very friendly - every one of them. They always did their best to be accommodating with our requests. The hotel is older, but has gone through some upgrades - the beds were very comfortable. Many rooms are quite small, but when we asked for a bigger one, it was no problem. The only thing that we did not like was it was warm in the room for sleeping - there is a fan system, but it was not very strong as we had it on the coolest temperature. It was also a very quiet room as we overlooked the harbour and you are not in the immediate downtown core, which is nice. Parking is expensive and is not underground, but we were comped for this. Breakfast is also not included as seems to be more of a norm in other hotels now. Overall, definitely a nice stay and the service made the difference.

• Stayed October 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We arrived by train in Halifax and its location adjacent to the train station makes the Nova Scotian a convenient choice. We chose it basically because of the price... a 4 star hotel for the price we paid was a bargain. The room we got was very nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable, and the view was great. Internet is not free in the room, but there's a free business centre with internet access in the lobby where you can print for free if you need it. The staff was very professional from check-in to check-out, and remembered me... for example, at check-in, the receptionist addressed to me in French when she recognized my credit card in French (they maybe had my address in the system to help too... ), and later, when I phoned the lobby during the evening for a wake-up call, the receptionist again addressed to me in French directly. I never expected I could be served in French in Halifax ! I think this personalized service is a way to show that they care for their clients.
My only complaint is that it's a bit outside downtown... so you won't be easily able to walk to restaurants (it's still feasible). Halifax is a nice city to walk, so this was a bit disapointing for me.
I recommend also their Sunday brunch.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2009

This is hotel is in need of a major upgrade. I stayed for three night to attend a conference after spending the weekend at the Marriot Harbourfront. There is no comparison between the two. My room needed a major overhaul especially the bathroom and a good cleaning. The toilet bowel looked dirty and so did the light switches, there were places were the paint had been scraped off. Overhaul it was a disappointment. I could hear every word my neighbors said on the phone and when they were using the washroom.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The check in was fine. Attentive bell hops and front desk. That should have been the first indicator of problems. Everything was an extra charge. Internet in the room $10 per day. No fridge, just a bar stocked with expensive booze. We requested a microwave - have yet to get it. The room, now there is an interesting story. Upon checking the bathroom, we noticed that the plaster over the toilet was peeling and falling down on the seat of the toilet, the water in the toilet looked like it had been used several times before coming into this toilet. The top of the air handler unit was smashed in. The air handler had condensation trays under it to catch any water that came off the coils and would have to be emptied every few hours! For all of this I was paying $190/night? I asked for a new room and was shown one on the hot side of the hotel that was in just as bad condition as the first. We finally were given a third room which was OK. I must say the management was trying to make us happy.

The beds are not "Heavenly" nor are pillows and comforts. Way to soft and clingy.

Over all the hotel seems seedy and REALLY in need of a make over. However I must admit that the sunrise view over the harbor is quite nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Mac22812
Saskatoon
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights. The room was on the smaller side, but it was nicely furnished as was the tiny bathroom. The room smelled and looked clean. The bed was wonderful and so was the duvet cover. The bathroom was tiny and had absolutely no counter space. The bathtub drain had rust and black mould around it-but we don't take baths in hotel tubs anyhow. We arrived on a Thursday night. We slept well that night, but Friday and Saturday night the hotel had more occupants and it was REALLY noisy. I'm a sound sleeper and the noise kept me up. The coffee provided in the rooms is Starbucks into individual foam cups. The maid in the hall was very accommodating to my husband and gave him lots of extra packets to feed his addiction. There is a fee for parking and there is a fee for the internet. The telephone indicated that there was a $1 charge for local calls, but I wasn't billed at check-out for any calls. The hotel provides a couple of computers near the lobby for guests to use and you can take your laptop downstairs to the common areas for free wireless internet.
I should mention that in addition to being a short walk to the downtown attractions, the Westin is right beside the train and bus station and there is a liquor store and supermarket right next door. I noticed a lot of guests taking advantage of that combination! I would go back for the right rate, but I would shop for the best offer downtown before I selected the Westin again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint John
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Our room was nice, clean and comfortable. Loved the weight room and spa. The location was easy to find, NSLC next door (nice!). Easy walking distance to the downtown sites. Staff very helpful. Great Italian food right across the street if you want to dine out.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
moncton
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I am not a complainer but I want to share my experience with other travelers. I spent 35 to 50 nights a year in hotels. This one will be memorable. We get there and they have a room with one bed for our family of 4. We are told that we will get air materas since the hotel if booked. We got the materas but they had a leek and got other ones sent up. They also had a leek and got more sent up. After 3 times we gave up. We are watching a movie to get nice and tired so we can sleep on anything, and we spot 2 mice running in the room. Maintenance arrive and set a trap and brought us cots so we don't have to sleep on the floor. (we had been told at the front desk that cots were impossible to get into the room). We later heard that mice were common - every few weeks or so they get a call.
I had been at this hotel before and had great service. This time not only did we have a negative experience we had bad service. The front desk was just not nice.
I do not complain normally, but this blew my mind.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family