“Nice, reliable, comfortable”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Northville, Michigan, USA
“Nice, reliable, comfortable”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Got in 11 pm due to flight and left at 11 am to drive to Cape Breton. Staff pleasant, beds very nice, rooms reasonably well appointed. Options for breakfast. 24 hour Supermarket next door so we could stock up for our drive. Parked on street for free on weekends.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My father is a platinum member since he travels a lot on business, so we received the best service possible. My sister and I walked in, we're immediately greeted and escorted to the front. We were given valet parking, help with our bags, everything you would expect and more. The room is beautiful, and the bests the comfiest I've ever been in. The bathroom was super clean and very nice, and it was peaceful and quiet (there was the occasional noise but what can you expect from a hotel?)
We called for a wakeup call and they called at 6:45 on the dot. I then decided to use their gym which was amazing. It was mostly just cardio machines and weights, but the treadmills were phenomenal. You could chose to do a virtual tour in New Zealand, Brazil, Greece or any of a number of places. There were fun facts that popped up on the screen during the run. It was awesome! Then I went for a swim in the pool which was refreshing, if a little on the small side. After that I had a lovely shower (with fantastic water pressure) and used the famous Westin Robe which was just as comfy as I expected. I went down for breakfast and had the buffet which was delicious, and only 17 dollars. They had someone who could make any type of waffle, pancake, or omelet you wanted, as well as hot and cold buffet lines. Very worth the price Super friendly staff!! Although I was by myself I rarely went 5 minutes without someone coming over to chat with me, which I loved. They also gave me the option of charging my meal to my room which was very convenient. Right now I am writing this in my room while I relax on the comfy bed that was made for me when I returned and feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. This hotel is by far my favorite and I honestly don't think I could stay anywhere else because I would just be comparing it to here and it wouldn't measure up. Love it!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Breton D
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had exactly the same experience as the previous reviewer - we were in a room on the second floor that was directly above the function room. We had to get up at 5am for an early flight back to Calgary so went to bed at 10:30 - however sleep was out of the question. The loud music did not stop until 12:30 am. Even the air conditioning that sounded like planes taking off and landing did nothing to block it out. As we were already in our pajamas etc we did not asked to be moved but according to the last reviewer, it would not have made a difference anyway.

The room was fairly clean except a used tissue was left on the bedroom floor - maybe it fell off the cleaners cart. However I was curious why there was just one bathrobe left in a room that was clearly booked for a couple.

On the up side, the staff were all very helpful and it was a nice surprise to have live music in the bar

I wonder if my mistake was booking with Hotwire ... do you get better rooms if you book direct??

Room Tip: As high up as you can and ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear that you were able to enjoy our live entertainment, and that our staff was friendly. We would like to take the time to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. In the future, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk staff. We encourage you to get in touch with our Hotel Manager Raj Gupta, by contacting
raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com.

Be well,
Near Toronto
Reviewed June 7, 2014

There is a wedding reception on the floor directly below my room. I asked to be moved and was told that the hotel's quiet time starts at 11:00 PM. The thumping in my room is incredible. This is the last time I'll be stating here.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jason_mcdo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t what you expected. We encourage you to contact our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta to further discuss the problems you encountered. Raj can be reached at, raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com

Cleveland, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

this time around the stay was absolutely fantastic! The room was quiet. The staff were excellent to deal with. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and had a nice shower. Close to all amenities, and attractions. Didnt eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: My room was on the 7th floor. Seems the higher up the quieter it is.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words and loyalty to our hotel. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with is, and that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities nearby. Next time you’ll have to try out our delicious menu at elements on hollis!

Until then,
Wolseley
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My sister and I were guests for 2 nights and were very pleased with the accommodation. Beds were very comfortable, We were happy we could open our window and get real air. We were most impressed with a young man that was able to answer our questions after the concierge had left for the day. He took the time to to make a few suggestions and gave us written directions. We enjoyed the in house music, not so sure about the location by the elevators. No complaints. I would not hesitate to stay or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GRAND-BARACHOIS
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Every time we go to Halifax always like to go to that hotel close to the waterfront across there is a market and a big grocery store within walking distance and they do accept pet hotel offer excellent customer service

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re always happy to hear from returning guests, and would like to thank you for your loyalty! Our location is loved by many as we’re conveniently within walking distance of so many great restaurants and attractions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Until then,