Booked via Priceline, hoping for 4 star quality stay as advised. We understand booking via third party generally means less quality, however within reason!
We arrived to Room 629 making note of the small 3' x 2' sized window apx 5 feet high on the wall (very small, unable to see out). Small room, awkwardly arranged! Small bathroom awkwardly arranged!
We then quickly noticed how HOT and humid the room was.. 35 degrees.. smelling of chlorine initially (almost like a pool was near by). We opened the high window and attempted to use the cooling system without success. Cooling system doesn't work due to being the end of winter, and the window only sucked out air, as the hotel provides positive pressure. We had to open the hotel door to get any air circulation (which provided everyone walking by a great view into our room.
We did call the front desk, w/o much success at first (recommended not using the cooling system, as it provides hot air and crack the window.. noted already cracked). We left the room and came back... still HOT.
Called the front desk, whom now provided a fan and engineer who provided a table to set the fan on in attempt to bring in cool air (which didn't work). Luckily the fan on provided some cooling via air movement while trying to sleep.
We left the window and fan open 2 days and the room was only comfortable by the time to leave.
Now... note the bed... "heavenly bed"... which appeared to be from 2002 by the color of the mattress... was not very heavenly/comfortable to sleep. Very disappointed!
I will note the room was clean, and the staff were generally very pleasant (just not providing a suitable 4 star room).
We did attempt to use the pool/hot tub). It was a very nice looking facility, but the hot tub was luke warm.. and the pool was full of toddlers. This was ok with us, but then a couple entered the hot tub with their two children/toddlers (allowing them to try and swim in there .. very rude in my opinion... ) so we left after total 10 mins!
Location of the hotel is great, however there are many hotels downtown with just as good location! Location does not come in account for this hotel.
We have stayed in old hotels in the past, as well as stayed in this hotel in previous visit (which was better experience). Those other hotels had kept up with comfort, and were incredible overnight stays. I serious believe we were in the worst room in the hotel, but with that said this visit was NOT at 4 star experience.. if you are offered room 629, demand a different room!
PS. Do not attempt booking 4 star downtown hotel in Halifax on Priceline, as this is the likely provided this hotel experience! (second time booking downtown hotel in halifax... this hotel both times).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Nova Scotian, is located near Halifax Harbour. Steps from world-class shopping and dining opportunities, we are the ideal place to savor the sights and sounds of the beautiful city of Halifax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Nova Scotian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Nova Scotian Hotel Halifax
- Westin Hotel Halifax
- Westin Nova Scotian
- Westin Halifax
- Halifax Westin
- The Westin Nova Scotian Halifax, Nova Scotia