“Home for the holidays”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I decided after flying across the country for Christmas that we wanted a little vacation out of our week stay so we booked a week at the Westin Nova Scotian. It is located downtown Halifax and we got a complimentary upgrade with a king size bed and habour view. The hotel is next to a superstore, so that was convenient, considering we were there for a week and wanted some snacks and drinks in our room.
The service was excellent with how well they cleaned the rooms daily and they also have a new Stay Fit program where you can pay a small fee and borrow gym clothes - which was great as I forgot my shoes!
The only thing that surprised us was a hotel fundraising gala on a Thursday night happened to have a DJ with very loud music. Since we were on the 8th floor you would the sound would not travel, but it clearly did. Shows you the age of this hotel, it is beautiful, but definitely older. Mind you the beds are so heavenly at the Westin, it didn't take us long to fall asleep.

The other thing to note, is that parking is not underground and $19/day.

We would definitely stay again as it was a relaxing and very comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the habour
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amberbranny
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Westin Nova Scotian over the holidays. We take pride in our East Coast hospitality and we're happy you enjoyed your rejuvenating getaway with us. We offer a wonderful gear lending program which is great way for guests to stay fit while traveling. We're delighted to hear that this was beneficial to you during your recent visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our heritage hotel when you return home to Nova Scotia.

Safe travels,
Guido Kerpel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,851)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind buffet....look no further. The Westin Nova Scotian has by far the best buffet I have ever eaten at. They have everything from sushi to smoked salmon to oysters on the half shell to porterhouse to filet mignon. I highly recommend the brunch buffet.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor P
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the selections at our Sunday Brunch Buffet. We offer a variety of local ingredients and we're happy you liked the oysters, smoked salmon and sushi.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Certainly one of my favourite hotels in Halifax. Easy to find, easy parking (self-park or valet), easy check in. A modern clean decor which I appreciate. Rooms are average size. Bathrooms are updated and clean.

Overall: Love this hotel and in my opinion, one of the best in Halifax. If you appreciate a hotel in a good location, good front-desk service, modern decor and quality upgrades.. than you will enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel. We're delighted to hear that you enjoy our location along the waterfront and our friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Halifax.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We travel to Halifax twice a year and have stayed at most of the downtown hotels and this is one of the best. The service is exemplary, the rooms spacious, and the Nova Scotian has the best views of the harbour. The breakfast buffet is one of the most extensive I have seen. I especially recommend the oatcakes for a true taste of Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotian is on the boardwalk, close to Pier 21, and the Farmer's Market.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for writing a review and for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your kind words and we're pleased to hear that you've received exceptional service each time you've stayed with us. We have a great location on the waterfront and we're happy you enjoyed this convenience.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family spent Christmas at this wonderful hotel. We started with an excellent Christmas buffet which had an assortment of food that was breathtaking. The quality of the food was excellent. The hotel itself is wonderful and the guys, Alan and Dave, we're very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for review and for celebrating the holidays with us! We're happy you enjoyed the Christmas Buffet and the service you received from our staff. Alan and Dave are wonderful assets to our team and they were grateful for your kind words.

Until next time,

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is my 3rd time staying in this hotel. The hotel is nicely refurbished CN hotel, classy and modern. Staff is very friendly and always helpful. The rooms are small though. Therefore, I would recommend this hotel more to a business traveller rather then a family. The fitness centre is nice, spacious, clean and well equiped. Hotel is located close to the waterfront and the walk/run from just outside the back door alongside the ocean is beautiful anytime of the year. Also it makes an easy access to all waterfront restaurants. During all my stays the hotel was nice and quiet and the beds are very comfortable!!! I wiill definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences at the hotel. We're pleased to hear that you enjoy our convenient location, friendly staff and comfortable beds! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Nova Scotian for four nights in November for a business trip. Immediately impressed with front desk staff who were very helpful and friendly. Room was modern and clean but a little on the small side. Fine for me as I was travelling alone, but would have felt cramped for a family. There were a couple of issues with heat though. First, I was in conference room most of the day for meetings and the room was freezing. When I retired to my room later that evening my room was like a sauna, and no matter what I did I could not turn down the heat. Fortunately, I could open the window in my room, but it was a bit noisy. I casually let them know the next day when I checked out, and they reduced my bill - which was above and beyond my expectations!

There are a few major conveniences for this hotel that I took advantage of. First - there is a grocery store and liquor store right beside the hotel. I was able to stock up on healthy snacks for my stay. The second is there is a Thrifty car rental right in the hotel lobby. For about $40 I was able to rent a car to go explore the city and drive to Peggy's cove.

Also loved that it was right on the harbourfront boardwalk - a great place to go for an early morning run.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 3zigs

Thank you for staying at the Westin Nova Scotian and for writing a review on your experience. We take pride in our Halifax hospitality and we're pleased that you were impressed with our service from the moment you arrived.

We look forward to seeing you when you return to Halifax.