“Great hotel close to all the action”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ottawa, Canada
“Great hotel close to all the action”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We travel to Halifax twice a year and have stayed at most of the downtown hotels and this is one of the best. The service is exemplary, the rooms spacious, and the Nova Scotian has the best views of the harbour. The breakfast buffet is one of the most extensive I have seen. I especially recommend the oatcakes for a true taste of Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotian is on the boardwalk, close to Pier 21, and the Farmer's Market.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for writing a review and for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your kind words and we're pleased to hear that you've received exceptional service each time you've stayed with us. We have a great location on the waterfront and we're happy you enjoyed this convenience.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Guido Kerpel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family spent Christmas at this wonderful hotel. We started with an excellent Christmas buffet which had an assortment of food that was breathtaking. The quality of the food was excellent. The hotel itself is wonderful and the guys, Alan and Dave, we're very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for review and for celebrating the holidays with us! We're happy you enjoyed the Christmas Buffet and the service you received from our staff. Alan and Dave are wonderful assets to our team and they were grateful for your kind words.

Until next time,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is my 3rd time staying in this hotel. The hotel is nicely refurbished CN hotel, classy and modern. Staff is very friendly and always helpful. The rooms are small though. Therefore, I would recommend this hotel more to a business traveller rather then a family. The fitness centre is nice, spacious, clean and well equiped. Hotel is located close to the waterfront and the walk/run from just outside the back door alongside the ocean is beautiful anytime of the year. Also it makes an easy access to all waterfront restaurants. During all my stays the hotel was nice and quiet and the beds are very comfortable!!! I wiill definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences at the hotel. We're pleased to hear that you enjoy our convenient location, friendly staff and comfortable beds! We look forward to your next visit.

London, ON
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Nova Scotian for four nights in November for a business trip. Immediately impressed with front desk staff who were very helpful and friendly. Room was modern and clean but a little on the small side. Fine for me as I was travelling alone, but would have felt cramped for a family. There were a couple of issues with heat though. First, I was in conference room most of the day for meetings and the room was freezing. When I retired to my room later that evening my room was like a sauna, and no matter what I did I could not turn down the heat. Fortunately, I could open the window in my room, but it was a bit noisy. I casually let them know the next day when I checked out, and they reduced my bill - which was above and beyond my expectations!

There are a few major conveniences for this hotel that I took advantage of. First - there is a grocery store and liquor store right beside the hotel. I was able to stock up on healthy snacks for my stay. The second is there is a Thrifty car rental right in the hotel lobby. For about $40 I was able to rent a car to go explore the city and drive to Peggy's cove.

Also loved that it was right on the harbourfront boardwalk - a great place to go for an early morning run.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 3zigs
Thank you for staying at the Westin Nova Scotian and for writing a review on your experience. We take pride in our Halifax hospitality and we're pleased that you were impressed with our service from the moment you arrived.

We look forward to seeing you when you return to Halifax.

Shelburne, Canada
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Located in downtown Halifax the Westin is a classy refurbished railway hotel hotel. It is modern and tasteful with superb staff. The rooms are a great size, with excellent facilities and quality furnishings and fittings and comfy beds. Harbor or garden views.

Great parking at the rear and opposite Halifax Farmers market which is well worth a visit for natural products and organic foods and great artisans - be sure to find Rwaganic Chocolate mmmmm,

The hotel is within walking distance of down town shopping and theatres, be sure to check out Choco Cafe [ bit of a chocolate theme going on eh ] and the Restaurants at Bishops Landing.are superb.

We are often in the city for work and always try the Westin First [ some great deals to be had too :-) ] LOVE IT

Room Tip: We've always stayed above 6 floors - and have had both water and garden views - all quiet and gr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're pleased to hear that we're your hotel of choice when staying in Halifax. We look forward to welcoming you back to our historic hotel soon.

Saint John
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Unless you are a weather forecaster, look out for this hotel. Even though bad weather is on its way, they would not relent on their policy of 24 hours notice for a room cancellation. When staying in a climate with "snow', I would not recommend booking this hotel. Also, we had our car vandalized and robbed in their parking lot during a visit. I was only going back to that hotel as it was in close proximity to a scheduled meeting.

Room Tip: Don't book
1 Thank Mary T
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for writing a review. Our sincere apologies for the confusion about our cancellation policy. At the time of booking, our agents ensure that each guest is aware of our policy and this is noted on the reservation. We have concerns about a few of the issues you mentioned and would like to discuss these in further detail. Please contact our Hotel Manager directly so we can investigate these concerns.

Regards,
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's not our first time here and it won't be our last. Very nice and historical property, staff was friendly and efficient. Management is very attentive to requests and comments. This is a well-run hotel and is a top choice in Halifax without a doubt. Clean rooms and new furniture, Heavenly bed indeed, very comfortable overall. I would recommend it, but remember that this is a historical property which might not be to everyone's liking. If you like ultra-modern and edgy surroundings, this might not be for you. If you like a classy setting & some history; you will love it. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Westin and for sharing your comments with us. We take pride in our heritage hotel and we're delighted that you admire the historic character and charm of our property. We strive to create memorable experiences for our guests and we're happy you continue to have great stays at the Westin Nova Scotian.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.