The Westin Nova Scotian
Four Points by Sheraton Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$187
$182
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$181
$167
  • Restaurant
$194
$179
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$107
$101
Hotels.com
Waverley Inn(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$102
$122
$112
Atlantica Hotel Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$161
$110
Agoda.com
$189
Homewood
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$101
$91
$212
Travelocity
1,878 results
All reviewsheavenly bedelements restaurantfarmers marketcomedy clubtrain stationnova scotiaan older hotelliquor storestarbucks coffeefront desk staffharbour viewhistoric hotelvalet parkingdowntown halifaxjesseyukpier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here for a few days for a business conference and since I was traveling with my family, location was very important. As we were traveling with a baby we had made a few requests upon booking and not one thing was provided upon check-in.

The worst part was that our bar fridge didn't work, (which was needed to store the milk for the baby). It took several requests and about half a day before a mini-fridge was brought up. However, this fridge had to sit in the room (not in the usual spot reserved for the bar fridge), so this made the already small room even smaller.

The rooms were dated and small. The bathroom was especially small, where the door would close on its own and the toilet was really loud. We stayed on the fourth floor and heard some sort of lounge music during the evenings. The bed was also hard and there was a lean to the centre of the bed.

The staff service was also inconsistent. When requesting a taxi for the next morning the front staff told us to do this the next morning, saying that we had to ask the porters. The next morning the front service staff were more than happy to get a taxi for us. It seemed that the level of service we received depended on who we spoke to.

I also was surprised to learn that there was no free WiFi in the hotel rooms. It seemed like any sort of service was nickle-and-dimed, which was surprising for what seemed like a higher-end hotel.

While the room had a nice view of the harbour, I certainly would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

We want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations and for the issues you experienced during your visit. We want to assure you that this is not a typical Westin Nova Scotian experience. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your concerns and encourage you to contact us directly.

We hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked this hotel for a one night stay after a late flight into Halifax. I was not impressed. I was totally put off by the $22.00 charge to park the car. The rooms were comfortable but in need of updating. The layout of our floor was very stange and maze like. Breakfast was good. I must say that every employee that I had contact with was very freindly, cheerful and helpful. However there was nothing remarkable enough to warrant me saying that I would make sure to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Westin Nova Scotian. We're pleased to hear you received friendly service. Our sincerest apologies that we did not meet your expectations. We would encourage you to contact us to discuss your concerns in further detail.

We hope to welcome you back again soon for a true Westin experience.

Until then,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having just read all the negative reviews,I wanted to add a positive one.
When I arrived,I asked if it was possible to have a waterfront view.
The young lady at the desk was very helpful,even tried to to retrieve my old Starwoods card.
The room had a lovely view of the harbour. It was renovated and very pleasant.
The toiletries were high quality and there was a thick terry robe in the closet.
The concierge staff were extremely helpful as was everyone whom I encountered.
The pool area was very nice and clean with lots of towels.
The towels in the bathroom were thick and high quality as were the bed linens.
The room was spotless.
I had trouble with my computer,not allowing the hotel WiFi and the young man at the desk came right up and had it sorted out in a minute.
Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and was not at all disappointed in this Westin.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take pride in our Halifax hospitality and we're delighted that you received exception service while staying with us. We have a team of dedicated staff and we're happy to hear we able to rectify your wifi issues immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Until then,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Nova Scotian for two nights, mid-week, towards the end of September. This hotel is conveniently located and the staff were very friendly, which were the two best things about our stay. Unfortunately we were kept awake into the early hours of the morning (1 am) by fellow guests talking in their own rooms each evening. It was hard to hold the fellow guests accountable as they were not partying but merely talking and/or watching TV, so we commented to the front desk about the noise when we checked out. The lack of soundproofing is the culprit. In addition to the noise, the housekeeping raised an eyebrow. Dirty linens from the previous guest had been left under the ottoman in our room and the mini bar fridge was full of dried spills. We took our little one down to the pool area but did not stay in for too long as it was also in need of a good scrub.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're happy to hear you received friendly service from our staff and enjoyed our convenient location. We want to apologize for the cleanliness issues you experience in your guestroom. We have spoken with Housekeeping to ensure proper due diligence so we can avoid similar situations in the future.

We hope to welcome you back again for a true Westin Nova Scotian experience.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We booked this hotel based on previous positive reviews. Our experience however was not good. During our 2-night stay, here is what happened:
1. The room we checked into was clean but very outdated and banged up. Needs renovation badly.
2. We returned from a day of sightseeing to find water pouring from the ceiling above our bathroom. We were told that if someone "overfills" a tub to the overflow valve level, the valve just dumps the water into the ceiling below. The women bathing upstairs had apparently done just that.
3. I called the guest services line to ask where the restaurant was located. He made me feel like an idiot for not knowing. I explained that we haven't walked the hotel yet and made the mistake of asking what time breakfast would be served until. Apparently that was an even dumber question.
4. We received a wake up call at 5 am however, we did not request one.
5. I found a really long hair in my eggs at breakfast.
6. Self parking was $18 and valet was $22. Very high when you investigate what parking costs in Halifax in general (even one block away).
I considered talking to a Manager but kept hoping that the issues would stop but, they did not. If the front desk asked me how our stay was on check-out I would have listed the issues but they did not ask and I just wanted to leave. Basically, we paid more than $200/night (not including the $22/day of valet parking) and feel that our experience should have been better given the Westin brand and price. I will not stay their again. If you decide to try it, I hope you have a better experience than we did.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any renovated rooms Ours was a dump.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our sincerest apologies for not meeting your Westin expectations and for the issues you experience during your stay. We want to ensure you that this is not a typical Westin experience and we hope to welcome you back again for an experience we're known for. During future stays should you have any concerns, please contact Management in regards to your concerns while on property so we can rectify your issues immediately.

Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your experience in further detail.