“good location and service”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ottawa, Canada
“good location and service”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Friendly staff, nice room, small bathroom.. co-located with the via rail station.. so definitely a good place to staff if coming in by train ! Car rental available in the hotel and in the via rail station (enterprise). walking distance to everything downtown and the water ! We were there for a conference in the hotel - good support, good room (freezing though), good food... overall - good hotel experience.

Room Tip: if have a CAA card - ask for an upgrade to waterview.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again soon when you return to Halifax.

Until next time,
Guido Kerpel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We enjoyed the Westin Nova Scotian at the beginning and the end of our trip to the Nova Scotia. Great location overlooking the Halifax waterfront, if you have a room on the water side. Both of our rooms had the view. The hotel location provides and easy walk to various restaurants and activities associated with the harbor. Our first room was quite nice, but the second excelled as it was a corner room. It was larger and had a better view. We did have a bit of a problem with the wifi in the second room and had to go to the lobby to use our ipad there. The front desk staff was always very cordial and accomodating. They are a real asset to the hotel. If we planned another trip to Halifax we would certainly stay there again. My wife really enjoys the Westin bedding and we have ordered some for our own home use from their catalog.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room. We had room # 600 and it was quite nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We take pride in our heritage hotel and we're happy you had such a rejuvenating experience at the Westin Nova Scotian.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed for a few days for a conference. The location was GREAT (waterfront). The hotel and room was clean and well appointed. I was very impressed with the service, restaurant meals, spa services and conference support. I was also pleased with the value for money. My room cost (conference rate), spa charges and restaurant prices were all very reasonable for the quality. (I've been charged far more for far less!). I won't hesitate to return here on my next trip to Halifax.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Nova Scotian and for taking time to write a review on your stay. We're delighted to hear that we met your value expectations and that you enjoyed our wonderful amenities and convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Halifax.

Until next time,
Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Nova Scotia in Halifax for 2 nights recently while attending a conference. It is a well established older hotel but vry nice and really comfortable.

First of all the best part is the staff~ all very friendly and helpful and ALL say good morning, good afternoon, etc. I had terrific assistance from the young concierge working the evening of Sept. 24~ he helped with the printing of a document when the business centre printer was not working, I am sorry I can't remember his name.At checkin and checkout even though there was a bit of a lineup, several staff were on to help all the guests.

My room was a good size, queen bed, computer desk, chair, ottoman and dresser and TV. The coffee maker, iron and hair dryer all worked well and were definitely used. I did not have time to use the pool or fitness equipment which was a disappointment, or go to the spa as I ran out of time.

One minor annoyance was the bathroom door.... You could not have it standing open or even partly open as it would swing back and forth. I meant to tell them at checkout but forgot (room 716). Also, I mentioned it is an older hotel so a few issues with soundproofing. My neighbour had a robust cough, and even though spoke normally i was able to hear his phone conversation one night. Other than that the room was clean and I was very comfortable during my stay.

The room has a refreshment center with a variety of alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks. Save yourself some money and walk across the street to the Atlantic Superstore for snacks (great deli section) and attached liquor store. It will get you out in the fresh air and give you a bit of exercise

That night I checked into a new hotel in another city only to discover that i had forgotten the charger and cord for my laptop,. I called the front desk and explained my problem and they put me through to the Housekeeping department. There was no one there, but i carefully left a message with my name and phone number repeated twice .... i was hoping to make arrangements to have it couriered to me an another hotel in a few days time, but they never got back to me and by the next day I needed my computer so i had to run out and buy another one...Even if they would have acknowledged my call i would have been happy but after the wonderful service over my stay, this was such a disappointment.

Room Tip: I had a room up fairly high and facing out on the street fronting the hotel, but no issues with outs...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're delighted to hear you received exceptional service from our Front Desk staff. Our apologies for the delay in follow-up with Housekeeping. We have spoken to the Housekeeping Manger and we do have your laptop cord that was left in your guestroom. We would be happy to courier this to you immediately.

We hope to welcome you back to the Westin Nova Scotian again soon.

Moncton, NB
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I’ve stayed at the Westin many times over the past 15 years and am normally very happy with the service and accommodations. This time, I was very disappointed in the service. For the first time, I purchased the room through Travelocity because the rate was a lot lower. But I guess customer service goes out the window when you do that.

Since we were participating in City Chase in Halifax, we were trying to find a transit map and weren’t finding anything suitable online. A week before we were scheduled to arrive we contacted the hotel to see if they had access to transit maps or if they knew were to find one. We were told that since we booked through Travelocity, they weren’t able to help us. Thanks!

We had also thought about going to Yuk Yuk’s during our stay. On our previous stay, we had booked directly with Yuk Yuk’s to get our tickets, but the couple we were sitting with told us they had bought their tickets through the hotel at half the price. A month before check-in, I contacted the Westin through Twitter and was told that yes, tickets could be purchased through them at a discounted rate and to call their reservation line. When I contacted them, I was told I needed to speak to Yuk Yuk’s directly. When I called Yuk Yuk’s, I was told that tickets are free (based on availability) to Westin guests and that they send out a voicemail on the day of and that I should wait for that. A little confused, we decided to wait and see instead of getting tickets.

On the Saturday, after our race, we got back to the room and had a voice mail from the day before and one for the Saturday from Yuk Yuk’s offering tickets. I called immediately and was told they were full. It’s very disappointing when you can’t get a straight answer out of anyone and miss out on something, especially when you were willing to pay in the first place.

Another thing we found on our second night, was blood on the sheet. This is the second time I have found blood on sheets this year, the other time being at the Delta Beauséjour in Moncton. I’m hoping this is not a trend beginning in the hospitality industry.

Other than that, the room was nice as always, but customer service was not.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Our sincerest apologies for not meeting your Westin service expectations during your most recent stay. We have shared your feedback with our staff to ensure proper follow-up and training. Should you wish to discuss you concerns in further detail, please contact us directly and we would be more than happy to assist you.

We hope to welcome you back again for the true Westin Nova Scotia experience.

calgary
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great location, close to the harbour and waterfront. The room was very clean and well decorated. Very pleasant staff and they let me store my luggage for few hours even after I checked out. No complaints and enjoyed the hotel stay for 3 nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing a review of your recent experience. We take pride in our historic hotel and we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again for another rejuvenating visit.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I have been told that this is the nicest hotel on Halifax. Too bad. It is very, very mediocre. Some of the staff were great. Others were horribly inept. A wonderful lobby, but tiny rooms with tinier bathrooms. Pealing wallpaper and mold in the shower. Try elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We want to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. We would like to look into your comments in further detail and encourage you to contact to the hotel directly to discuss.

Regards,