“kind of uppity”

Prince George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed October 13, 2013

It was a good hotel. they think they are a great hotel. The public spaces are nice. There were not robes, moisturizer or shower cap in the room. Breakfast is not included and the breakfast in the hotel dining room costs a fortune. The evening we were there, there was a pretentious bartender that we made fun of all evening. Not a bad hotel, but not near as good as they think they are

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi princes110. My apologies for any actions or comments that made you feel like we think we are all that. Creating an atmosphere like you describe is certainly not in our manual and not our intent. I hope we get a chance to prove that to you. I am glad to know you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

There are newer reviews for Prince George Hotel

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Traditional (maybe read a little old fashioned), but solid in every respect.
Good size rooms with all the amenities needed. Perhaps bathroom a little small (compared to room).
Decor a little old fashioned and with no real individual personality, but very well maintained.
Excellent beds.
Free and fast internet (most of the time- a couple of slow downs which I will forgive!)
Ping 48ms Download 17.13 mps
Room service decent but not outstanding.
Fitness room with very little equipment and nice small swimming pool.
Excellent location. Soundproofing Ok.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nathanwaks
Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

The word traditional isn't always old nathanwaks but rather "classic" - either way we appreciate your kind support and would be honuored to be your host again if your travels bring you back to YHZ - Thank you.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding here on August 17, 2013. I can't speak highly enough of the front-of-house staff, our site coordinator Penny MacKinnon, the catering staff, the valets and the restaurant staff.

Almost my entire wedding party traveled from outside of Canada, and they stayed at the Prince George as well. They really enjoyed the hotel and it's perfect location in the downtown area. My husband and I had a special suite on the sixth floor with a shower that felt bigger than my home bathroom, a hot tub, make-up table and all the amenities you'd expect in a high-end hotel. We slept very well, thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary breakfast available in the lounge, and everything was extremely well-handled. If I asked for anything during the set-up, it was handled straight away, and the Regency patio was a perfect spot for our intimate gathering (about 60 people).

Moving on to the FOOD. We chose to have a buffet dinner for the meal, and people are STILL talking about it. The choices seemed endless and the quality was absolutely stunning. I'm only mad that I couldn't fit more in while wearing my wedding dress! The ONLY complaint I had from any guest was that the plates were too small and they had to keep going up for more. :) The wait staff was impeccable and nearly invisible, and the bartender did a wonderful job keeping my guests happy!

When we picked up all the items from the wedding, it was all packed away carefully and so nothing would be damaged. We were even given complimentary bottles of water when we were waiting for them to bring the things out.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Prince George Hotel to anyone staying in Halifax. The hotel itself is beautiful (*especially with the renovations that have been happening!*), but the staff is it's most valuable asset. I look forward to staying at the Prince George again... perhaps we will make it an anniversary treat in the years to come.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Congrats MrsGad on a successful special day.... we love being part of weddings like yours. Our staff almost feel like they were invited to the party as opposed to working one. Do I hear a one year anniversary stay?

Reviewed October 7, 2013

To me it felt like it fit the atmosphere of being in Halifax. The hotel was a little old and dated with their marble entrance but it felt upscale at the same time. It was close to everything, the best part is the tunnel that led to the convention centre which let to the Scotia Bank Mall. It was raining and I was able to take a tunnel all the way to the port from my hotel.

Room Tip: If you need to go to the World Trade Centre this hotel is convenient for it's underground tunnel...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

The green marble only has a few more months to live JackpotJ.... and then it will be gone. Our lobby renos are going to be awesome.....awesome..... awesome.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Prince George is an excellent hotel, with a sharp and seasoned staff, that I would absolutely recommend to others and certainly return to when visiting Halifax. Located on Market Street, a couple blocks up from the busy harbor area, The Prince George is perfectly located to explore the city's attractive waterfront or the beautiful and historic Public Garden, a few blocks in the other direction. We enjoyed one dinner as Gio, the restaurant at The Prince George, and found food and service very good. We particularly enjoyed the charcuterie recommended by our server as a first course. Our breakfast, with the Crown Service on the sixth floor, was efficiently served by an attentive staff member each morning. With all of this said, I'll offer one additional  observation that should be taken neither positively nor negatively. In our room, imagining not knowing where I was, I could have been in any business oriented Marriott, Westin or name your brand.  Maybe that's the market The Prince George seeks. Maybe it's an issue of my own expectations. It's certainly not a negative and should not be interpreted by any reader as such. But a few features that would add more warmth and softness, things admittedly not always sought by the "Monday through Thursday" conference attendee with a couple devices strapped to his/her belt would be welcomed additions!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Those differentiating features are coming BillMuldoon..... they are definitely coming.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had a room on the 6th floor which included some extra amenities such as access to the lounge with complementary beverages and continental breakfast. We liked this as we are always stocking up on pop and water to have in the room but didn't have to search for a convenience store every time we wanted some drinks for the room. Also, the breakfast was really good, just cereal, croissants and fresh fruit but that was great for us. We had it delivered to the room which was nice. The staff were great. Very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I think the only downside to the property would be the parking. We deliberately waited to rent our car the day we were checking out as the parking fee was quite high when I first researched staying here. Not a big deal as we just rented a car from down the street and you can see most sights on foot anyways. The bed was comfy and the shower was really great! Clean and comfortable so overall, we had a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you yybgal - glad you enjoyed our incredible city.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The total package - attention to detail, fine staff, great location. You could not ask for a better combination. From the first time we walked in till check out - we were treated as royalty. Even dealing with reservations desk was easy for us as our plans changed three times. They were vere gracious and understanding. They really made this stay enjoyable.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much wadleyfla - we appreciate your very kind comments.