“Best Staff, Restaurant and Renovation”

Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the management on down, the staff at this hotel is tops! The manager, Sharon, is both friendly and accommodating. House engineer, Bill, was at our door just minutes after we called the front desk to have our suite's TV adjusted. Waitress, Michelle, always greets her customers with a smile. She goes above and beyond to make every guest 's meal a VIP dining experience. The new restaurant location is a perfect , trendy improvement . We love the 1/2 round booths and feel like Hollywood celebs when we eat here.
The location of this hotel is perfect. We love that you can be walking the harbour front boardwalk in less than a minute. Best kept secret--Be sure to walk the boardwalk all the way around the back of the hotel. There are benches there where you can "watch the world go by" away from the bustling tourist crowd.
Ways to improve one of our favourite hotels ---We are baffled as to the removal of automatic side door that used to provide such easy access and now is replaced with difficult to open heavy doors. The renovation of the entry is classy but we miss the Nova Scotian art that used to be in the common areas. Please add more places to sit and wait in the lobby, in front of the elevator to the garage and by the parking $ machine in the garage. Our constant pet peeve of our favourite hotel is no automatic doors from the parking area into the elevator area.

1  Thank CBYankee
There are newer reviews for Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront for two nights in June. I was welcomed by a very friendly front desk lady. I would say she was one of the most pleasant front desk people I've ever met! I booked a harbour view room and was placed on the 5th floor.

The good stuff:
Service was so lovely from all of the staff. The location is great with easy access to the waterfront. There's Starbucks on site which is very convenient for a morning coffee. My room was nice and I found the beds and pillows to be very comfy. Free, quick wifi! They had delicious strawberry water and cucumber water in the lobby which my friend loved!

The other stuff:
I did have a harbour view and I decent one since I was on the 5th floor but I was facing the north side which I would argue is not the more interesting side. So perhaps ask for a south side view at check-in. My room had two of those 'adjoining room doors' going to the rooms on each side of me. I was able to hear my neighbours the first night and it felt like they were very close.

One thing to note is that I ordered take-out from a restaurant and the delivery guy called me from the front desk area to let me know he was here. A new rule prevents the delivery people from coming up to the rooms. I understand this position in some way and especially if there was an incident but I still found it a bit odd. I wasn't expecting it as I had changed into comfy (non-presentable clothes) and I had to change and throw some shoes on to go downstairs.

Overall I had a good stay. If you want a place right on the waterfront I'm not sure you can get any more convenient. The staff is excellent!! The rooms were good and the beds were comfortable - I slept very well. Just be ready to go downstairs if you want to get any take-out food.

Room Tip: The south side of the hotel would offer better harbour views if you select that type of room. My ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Heather D
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Can't beat the waterfront location in Halifax. Adjacent to the casino and bordawalk. Main lobby and resto-bar area was recently renovated and ultra modern. Excellent staff. Will definitely staff again on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2014

As always had a great stay at the Marriott and the staff is always friendly and are always ready to help. Hotel and room were very clean. Had a good time at the pool and they have good hours. We had breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and staff was amazing. Hotel is at a great location and easy to get around. This is all the reasons I always pick the Marriott Harbourfront. Thanks for the great service. Keep it up :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Front Office Manager at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoy our hotel's location and amenities. I will be sure to share your kind words with our hotel associates.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in Halifax due to the hotel and it's proximity to downtown. Shops are restaurants were really close so it was easy to sneak away from business to check out the area. I loved Halifax and felt right at home at the hotel. Staff was friendly and accomodating. The rooms were updated and very clean. Overall a great experience and I would definitely go back.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Recently stayed at this property for an event and was very pleased with the stay. The staff are very friendly and personable - something that becomes more and more appreciated as I do more travel each year for both business and pleasure. I won't comment more on the conference staff as it is likely not the concern of many readers (except if you are wondering, they are top notch) but all staff from front desk to restaurant servers to valet were great.

The hotel itself has been recently renovated and the contemporary style helps relay a very clean and fresh vibe. It is nothing remarkable in terms of design, a theme which continues to the rooms, but everything is very well maintained. Personally I find the rooms a bit busy, colourful, and still 'bland' like most hotel rooms but you don't come to this hotel expecting high style. Instead, expect a beautiful location, thoughtfully laid out and clean rooms, and great service. Also - Don't let the design of the hallways fool you - the rooms I have seen and stayed in are much more updated than that.

Little touches that are appreciated are the accessible outlets on the nightstand to allow changing of phones and devices. That's why I love renovations :)

Occasionally things were amiss like inconsistent toiletries day to day and on one delightful occasion, a very persistent member of the cleaning team barging into my room at 9am. To be fair, I had not left the do not disturb sign and I had left the deadbolt off after getting the paper but I was on a phone call with an earpiece so didn't appreciate that the knocking was on my door. (The room had a very unusual and long hallway before the main area so it made the sound understandably distant). I was lying in bed in PJs (yay for teleconference vs. videoconference) but honestly didn't mind since it was largely my fault. What DID annoy me was that once the lady entered and we saw each other I gestured that I was on the phone while I fumbled for the mute and she proceeded to loudly talk and say 'well I knocked etc'. I smiled and nodded several times and finally said 'no problem but if you don't mind I'm on a call' to which she almost pouted and said 'well when do you expect me to return?' I guess 9am is late in Halifax...

I came back later and the room was perfectly arranged but be warned - on subsequent stays when I would return to my room after breakfast around 8:30am I occasionally saw the cart and chuckled to myself at the prospect of others getting awakened in a similar fashion.

The rooms can be a bit confusing with different wings and hallways but if you stay more than one night you will get your bearings quite easily.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel is located right downtown Halifax, you couldn't be in a more perfect location if you're looking to be downtown and in close distance to everything. You are right on the Waterfront Boardwalk so it makes for beautiful walks especially in the summertime. The restaurant in this hotel has great food, and you're also attached to the casino (if you like that kind of thing.) :). I find the rooms very nice however I do think they could use some updates, but other than that I do really recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Halifax, or just looking for a great location.

Room Tip: If you want a beautiful view, ask for a room facing Salty's restaurant or of the Harbour in gene...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends