“Found records”

Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
Ranked #5 of 146 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Plan a visit to this national testament to the Canadian immigration experience, which pays tribute to the citizens of Canada who have enriched this culturally diverse country. The Museum showcases the vast contributions of newcomers to Canada's culture, economy and way of life, from past to present day, see how Canada is shaped by the world in experiential ways.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Super spot to trace your ancestors. Really helpful staff willing to really dig for the info. Great presentations in the rail car by immigrants. Really enjoyed the short film. Anxious to see what the renovations produce.

1  Thank Lynn S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This site has had a lot of work done to it and is a nice site to learn some history. The fee is worth it and not that expensive.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We visited Halifax in July of 2009 and loved the Museum of Immigration. My father immigrated to Pier 21 in 1957 from Italy, and it was fascinating for myself, my sisters and my mother to see how it all worked and what my father and his family went through to get to Canada. It was also fascinating for my father as he was just a baby when they immigrated. It was really fun and super informative, and we loved stamping our passports as we went through the steps of immigrating!

1  Thank Victoria C
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The museum was much smaller than we anticipated, and $10 admission felt like a rip-off when we finished looking at the exhibits in about 45 minutes. While the information was interesting, it felt very "static" for what could have been a dynamic presentation of a storied history.

The genealogy centre downstairs was neat and the staff were helpful, but heads up that they can't look up information more recent than 1935. Unfortunately, I had to listen to someone with the MOST common last name, no first names of relatives, and a 100 year span of possible arrival monopolize the staff's time for about half an hour before I found that out. The staff were very patient despite the obvious annoyance of everyone waiting, and when my turn came, they directed me to the forms I would need to get more recent info. The genealogy centre was worth it, the actual museum, less so.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been a few times at the Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 and I found that could can easily plunged yourself in the past and in the lives of the immigrants who came to Canada through Pier 21. Also, check the gift shop, cool stuff.