Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
Ranked #6 of 144 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Immerse yourself in the rich marine history depicted by this museum's vast collection from binnacles and buoys to anchors and armaments.
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took our kids today for a gloomy day and it was great. I could have even spent more time there if left alone. If you love history and the sea this place is great. The steam era display had me for a couple hours.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,475)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Some complain of too little Titanic. Its not the Titanic Museum, its the Maritime Museum.

But there is a ton of ship equipment (Lights, compasses, deck gear,portholes) A large collection of ship models, Maritime specific boats, Native canoes/Fishing vessels.
The Titanic area is pretty big, with alot of small items. The Halifax explosion area is amazing, with personal effects and stories, as well of before and after shots that are pretty sobering.

The kids will be interested in the Titanic stuff, but they will be bored fairly fast with the rest.
If you are into ships/boats etc it will be a must stop.

1  Thank ErinNRob
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went to see the display of the Titanic and were disappointed with the content. Many of the other exhibitions were a little cheesy, but perhaps, to be fair, it may have been set up more for children then adults.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We happened to go on a night when admission was free. The museum makes a big deal of having Titanic memorabilia but there really wasn't much there. Maybe my expectations had been set too high especially since it was the 100 year anniversary. I was glad we hadn't paid.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I learned so much about the history of Halifax/Dartmouth, and particularly about the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion. Very interesting, and helped me understand the culture of the area better.