“Great for all ages”

Halifax Citadel National Historic Site of Canada
Ranked #3 of 145 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an exciting part of Canada's history by visiting this 19th-century fort with a sweeping view of downtown Halifax. Between May and October, the Citadel is brought to life by two historic regiments of the British Army - the pageantry of the 78th Highlanders and the precision of the Royal Artillery thrill visitors daily with live re-enactments. The skirl of the bagpipes mixes with the crack of a rifle and the assembly of recruits for the next foot drill. There's no shortage of authentic experiences to view and participate in! Kids will love the Xplorers Program - an activity book just for them. When the sun sets, it's time to experience the other side of the Citadel - join the Citadel Ghost Walk and experience the dark and errie lore from the early 1800's. Tours start mid-July and run every Friday and Saturday nights starting at 8:30pm until the end of October. Cash at the front gate.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I visited the citadel with my husband and we were soo amazed with everything.

From the historic museum to the vessels that were on display.

You can spend hours at this place. I learned soo much more on Canadian history and the importance of this 'base'.

This is a must-see if you're in Halifax.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

The Halifax Citadel is a great example of a fortress. The staff at the site give a wonderful free tour detailing the importance and history of the place. Take the tour, as without it much of the site will not be explained to you. A nice place to visit when in Halifax.

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I took my two 8 & 10 year old boys. We spent ~2 hours and loved it. With historical interpreters all over, we all learned something. Their favorite was the military museum with all the weapons and models. My favorite was the station where you could try on the military uniforms. I couldn't get either boy to pose with a kilt though.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Visiting the citadel is always fun for us - there's so much to explore and check out, and our daughter (who is 9) really gets a kick out of exploring the place. There's plenty of space for her to run around (and not get hurt!) and plenty enough to interest her as well... worth it for families.

It's also an interesting place for adults - my husband and I really enjoy listening to the stories and info from the tour guide, and we like exploring ourselves.

On our recent trip, we spent a good 3 hours there, so there's plenty to see and check out.

One big tip: if it's a hot, sunny day, bring sunscreen and water. The entire area is very open to the sun, and you'll bake!

1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed July 25, 2014

An old British Fort built after the war of 1812. A guide will take you around and point out various sites on the premises. The guides wear uniforms of the times when it was a working fort. You can also wander around on your own. This attraction is on a hill so I recommend walking shoes. Also there is a lot of gravel so close toed shoes will prevent small pebbles from being a nuisance while walking around.