“Harbourside dining, great view and great food”
Review of Hart & Thistle - CLOSED

Hart & Thistle
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had lunch at the Hart & Thistle, in the Historic Properties section of Halifax's boardwalk. I was seated almost immediately, impressive for a lunchtime Sunday. Eating alone, I was still seated at a four-top, which sometimes restaurants stick you with some corner end table without enough room for a magazine if you're dining alone.

I had the seafood chowder, which was rich and chunky, almost a stew. It was delicious and came with mussels which skeeve me out so I did not eat them, but I'm sure they were good for those who enjoy them. Everything else was.

I asked the waitress for a recommendation of a good Canadian beer and got a local craft beer (they advertise those on their signage) called Something O'Somebody (I'm paraphrasing) which was great beer.

For dessert they had a couple options, nothing too fancy. I asked for a vanilla ice cream, not knowing that this was to take the form of five scoops of ice cream in a bowl. I felt wasteful leaving four of them uneaten, but I'd have felt worse eating a quart of ice cream after a creamy seafood chowder. No objections to the quality; I just didn't have the stomach capacity nor the calories to spare.

I'll definitely be back to the H&T, next time when I return with my wife.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were on the water front walking around and looking for a place to eat & enjoy the view. We remembered this place that looked nice & well located. So, decided to go to this "gastropub". We stood in the entrance and faced at least 3 waiters... None acknowledge our presence. This waitress on her way to the kitchen told us that some one would be with us soon. The hostess who arrived told us a 10-15 minutes wait... No problems! We sat & waited for 1.5 minutes & we were brought to this table at least 50 feet from the water front.... Let me share my experience:
Location: well located, on the water front in Halifax.
Signs: the entrance is located inside a strip mall( very small mall) with outside seatings
Decor: the typical water front pub with umbrella on every table advertising certain beers...
Menu: interesting definition about gastropub meaning better or high quality food! Good choices of appetizers, salads and main dishes.
Service: the waitress we had was rude & not what you would expect from a gastropub! She wasn't smiling and simply wasn't the best
Price: i find price goes hand in hand with quality of food and service. In this case the service was not great and food not wow so i'd say it is a bit on the high side
Enjoy...
G

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Service was extrordinarily slow. My husband's food had to be sent back - flavor was off. I had the Lobster Mac & Cheese and I could have made it tastier at home. Surprised at this as we were told Hart & Thistle was a good spot to eat. Perhaps the restaurant was having an 'off' night?

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I love the food here and the atmosphere. I always have the calimari. It is excellent with some unique sauces. The food is very good. You won't be disappointed. Drinks are expensive but good. Staff is excellent. Location can't be beat. It is right on the waterfront. I always enjoy myself there. You will too!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hart & Thistle is a casual restaurant on the waterfront touristy area. Given that, I wasn't expecting a great dinner there, just great views. However, the Fish and Chips and Mussels were very good. I would eat here again when I am in Halifax.