“Continues to impress - an out-of-the-way gem”
Review of Brooklyn Warehouse

Brooklyn Warehouse
Ranked #60 of 742 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Face it: unless you're a hockey fan, you have no real need to go to that end of Halifax. OK, there is a post office and a Sobeys nearby. But apart from them, this is an out-of-the-way place.
In other words, Brooklyn Warehouse *IS* the destination it deserves to be. It is most definitely worth going out-of-the-way for.
First off, I've been here before - but their menu changes almost monthly, so whatever I had last time probably wasn't on this menu (except Pigfish - that I remember). Besides, I'm getting old, and I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning (Ed. probably the same as yesterday & the day before).
Secondly, in the spirit of full disclosure, this was a free meal - I sponsored BW's initial crowd-funding project. And indeed, we were sat in the extension I helped fund. It has been very tastefully done.

The food? Well, what do you expect me to say? It was superb.
Our attentive server offered us a little 'amuse bouche' to begin with - a Lychee (I think), in balsamic (I think) and fresh mint (I'm sure).
For starters, my partner had the Tamales (pulled pork in suet rolls), which I found too heavy, but my partner loved the pork & mole mixture. She said the suet was the lightest she'd ever had.
I had the Moules Frites and they were both very good, although the moules were a bit small. The celeriac remoulade was gorgeous - I wanted to spread it on toast!
For main, I had the Coq Au Vin, which we thought was fabulous. The purple barley is an odd combo, but it worked.
My companion had the striped bass, which was to-die for. She thought the boulangere potatoes were overdone (like a wet brick), but I thought they added the right amount of moisture to the fish.
We finished off by sharing a home-made (at Dee-Dee's) mango sorbet, which was huge & delicious.

You will notice that pork bellies feature heavily at BW. That is good. That is very good. I recommend any dish that features pork bellies.

Thanks Leo, thanks George, we'll be back.
And yes, I would have happily paid for this meal - I'd probably have been willing to pay more than the posted prices.

PS. BW now accepts reservations. Didn't used to. Does now.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Brooklyn Warehouse was recommended to me by a bartender when I asked him where I should have my second dinner in Halifax. It certainly did not disappoint. The burger was excellent, and the service was polite and inobtrusive (just what I needed after two days at a wedding). The server was very helpful with all of my questions, and gave me no trouble when I asked to move seats to be out of the sun (see previous wedding comment). This place isn't exactly in the middle of the action, but it was certainly easy to find and happened to be very close to where I was staying, which was a bonus.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This restaurant is a genuine gem. The menu was very interesting - I went online to help recall the name and content of my meal but I see the menu has been updated already for July and does not list the dishes we had. My wife had a form of ceasar salad and she found it superb - I recall that my appetizer was exceptional - great asparagus, thin slices of cheese, mushrooms - just thinking of it now makes me salivate. Both mains were exceptional. They had a great range of beers and unfortunately the awesome Belgian beer I had is unavailable at our local liqour store! The restaurant is very relaxed in its atmosphere and decor as are the way the servers dress which adds to a very unpretentious but highly creative and pleasing meal. The wait between courses was lengthy but the quality and creativity of the meal justifies the length. The restaurant has lots of character inside. I hope to try Ace Burger very soon delivered by the same chef.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

What an evening, attended the Beaujolais Dinner, it was perfect. The wine parings where right on, if you can believe it took the food to the next level. The service, atmosphere just the entire night was perfect. Mark and his team out did themselves in the kitchen, the flavor, all the different foods, it was over the top.
The whole team is just outstanding, we have such a treasure in Halifax to be able
to have a restaurant of such top caliber to dine at.
Thank you everyone for such a spectacular evening.

1  Thank mamalowe
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Can't talk enough about the PigFish! This was delicious and the service was top notch. A great beer range, some wonderful cocktails and the macaroons to finish were amazing. What a great night and a nice simple menu.

1  Thank halifaxfin