“I Love this place!”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I've eaten here several times and show no signs of stopping. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and so are the staff, but the food stands for itself. It's no surprise that they continuously win people's choice awards year after year.

The pork chop is by far my favourite dish, brined in root beer and drizzled with vanilla whisky. The burger is very popular and served with duck fat potato wedges, but if I were only going to eat here once, there are many more interesting things on the menu. PigFish for example. Be warned, the chef is a lover of all things pork and it appears in many of the dishes. I consider this a good thing.

Most of the food is locally sourced, and every Tuesday they do a Prix-Fixe (5pm-8:30) where you can have a 3 course meal for $35. The location is a little off the beaten track from downtown, but the quality and atmosphere is worth the search.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We drove into Nova Scotia and this was our first stop, which we are glad we made!!! We had the burger, chicken, wine, beer and dessert. The atmosphere was great, as well as the service. It was all truly remarkable! On another positive note, the entire area is very aware and accommodating with food allergies.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We read an article singing the praises of the Brooklyn Warehouse Burger as one of the top burgers in Canada so had to try it out. We went for lunch and the burger lived up to it's billing. Our server on the day was attentive, witty and gave good recommendations. My wife had the pork chops and was more than pleased. Based on that visit, we decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary the for dinner. Unfortunately, our experience was the opposite to what we had previously experienced. I chose the steak which was properly cooked but came drowned in a balsamic reduction that covered everything and moved any sense of taste the plate had startin out. Our server was young and inexperienced. We were rushed through our courses, cutlery was forgotten and she placed the bill on the table as we were finishing our mains. I guess we telepathically communicated we were not interested in coffee and desserts. Hmmm, can they read my mind now?

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Love this place for lunch - come early, especially at the end of the week as it fills up quickly! Saturday and Sunday brunches are great! Interesting food - always something new to try. The service is fast and very friendly - we will go back again and again!

Reviewed June 30, 2010

Maybe this place is hit and miss, but for me and my family it was definitely the latter. I decided for my birthday to try this restaurant for brunch, because I had heard so much about it. I even passed up Jane's for this, and it was kind of disappointing. Given the fact that my meal was more expensive than Jane's it was REALLY disappointing. I had eggs benny. The potatoes were not fully cooked, although the texture and taste on the outside was nice. The eggs were too runny for my step-mom, although I found them just right. The sauce was decent. The english muffins, although good, were nowhere near as exciting as I had been hoping for at a homemade, locavore style restaurant.
But worst of all was the presentation, in which a small two muffins with eggs were placed on a HUGE white plate with a small (too small) helping of barely cooked potatoes. No garnish, no fruit, no anything else. Perhaps this is the "simplicity" they aim for, but it seemed anti-climactic. I should have taken a picture, because my written explanation doesn't do it justice. It was really funny, and looked more like a $6 meal at a cafeteria after all the normal sized plates ran out, rather than the $13+ meal at the so-called number 2 brunch joint in Halifax.
Service was okay, but our server seemed particularly rushed to get us out of there, and quickly sniped our plates from under our forks as soon as she thought she could.
I wouldn't be so annoyed, if it weren't for all the hype. That's why I'm giving it an "average" instead of a lower rating. Maybe dinner and lunch is better. Or maybe I should have arrived closer to the beginning of the cooks' and servers' shifts, when they still cared.