“Horrible service, gross food”
Review of Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie - CLOSED

Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've eaten here before and found it lacking, but I recently ate here again and my experience was so horrible I have to write another review. Went for a business lunch and made it clear we had to go back to the office. We waited 20 minutes for our drinks (most were non-alcoholic), and 45 minutes for our food. We were one of the few tables in the restaurant so the wait is inexplicable. I ordered the endive and scallops, and seafood chowder. When the food finally arrived the waitress plopped down a random other salad. I told her she had gotten the wrong order, and she informed me "You said endive salad, we don't have an endive salad so I brought you this!" Firstly, endive last time I checked is a lettuce-type leaf. Secondly, she made no attempt to tell me they did not have an "endive salad" and she decided what I wanted without consulting me. The salad was the worst salad I've ever had - spinach leaves topped with greasy limp bacon, giant pieces of undercooked potato and mushy tomatoes with an unidentifiable dressing. The seafood chowder was mostly fish with no discernible seafood, so should be called a fish chowder, and was salty. We had waited so long that I refused the waitress' offer to bring another salad, and did not bother complaining to the manager. I left starving. The only thing it had going for it was the live music.

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Well let's just say we saw a mouse dart through the dining room and that was the highlight. The food was mediocre at best and the service was painfully slow. I read through the TA reviews while waiting and they appeared to be hit and miss....ours was definitely a huge miss.

1  Thank Greg L
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The mussels in Brussels are as good as in Belgium itself. And, thank heavens,you don't get french fries in mayo (yes, the authentic Belgian way!).
Having read some of the other reviews I guess it depends on when you go and who is cooking/serving. Well the chef was on song and our server couldn't have been nicer, helping us through the beer menu, with a mini history lesson on Halifax brewhouses on the way.
Portions were a good size and after a starter and those mussels there was no room for anything else.
It was a late lunch on a Monday, so the place was quiet, but the piped music was pleasant (standards, jazz) and all the food was, obviously, freshly prepared. A pleasant interlude in a lovely city.

1  Thank leeGlosUK
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been going to Brussels since they first opened their doors and after being away from the downtown core for a year on maternity leave, a return within the first weeks back to work was a must. I wasn't dissapointed. My two favourite dishes are the Belgian Poutine and the Curry Chicken sandwich and although a salad is much healthier and they are quite actually good here, no one should pass up the frites & mayo. The fries are non-frozen and the mayo is homemade, nothing fake! Evertime I try something new, especially the specials, I'm never dissapointed.

1  Thank Lallie11
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were a party of 6 adults for dinner - our bill (including a generous tip) came to 258.00. (Food was just ok and dessert was burnt). We had a gift certificate that stated "dinner for 6 - 300.00 value" and although we confirmed by telephone when we made our reservation that if we did not spend the full amount we would get a gift card for the difference, the "head-chef and manager" marched over to our table and loudly announced to the entire restaurant that the gift certificate we had was purchased from an auction - it said dinner for 6 - and we were 6 so there would be no change. This completely contradicted what we had been previously told! She was rude, loud, and made an unnecessary scene in front of our parents and out of town guests. I said... well if that's the case, we'll just order more drinks or dessert... After offering to call the owner on our behalf, she realized her stupidity and just gave us a 40.00 gift card. This individual should not be in the restaurant, hospitality or customer service industry in any way! We won't be back. I should have called the owner myself

2  Thank Krista T