“Hoping for better but better than average!”
Review of Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie - CLOSED

Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location on the pedestrian only street across from the hotel we stayed at (see other review - Delta Barrington). Weather wasn't great(see pics) but we had a nice late lunch. Not cheap but that seems to be the usual in eating out in Canada. 106.00 including tax(15%) and tip(another 15%). Without that it would have been 82.00 and that is still alot.. but much easier to swallow!
We had a couple beer and an appetizer and sandwich and veggie plate. No desserts or coffee. Service was very good. The place was deserted. Around 3:00pm this is kind of expected I suppose. Beer selection pretty good but not as many on tap as I had hoped for. Food was good not great. Overall Rating should be a 3.5 out of 5.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

First of all, the service was excellent, as is the coffee. The prices weren't bad either. But the food quality let the side down a bit:-
- the calamari was , I think, a mix of old and new. Some were as tender as could be. And some were tough! And I didn't really appreciate the 3 extra potato fries that snook their way into my calamari.
- the lamb lollipops looked great, but the batter was too much and too greasy.
- the burger was excellent, but I wish I'd scraped off 90% of the fried onions - too greasy.
- the salad liegoise sounded lovely on the menu but it was just a mush when it arrived. Ughh.
- and my daughter did not like her salmon in pastry (buy I did).

Overall, good but we won't rush back.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Everything on the menus is inspired by, or cooked with, premium beers! It was fantastic! Each dish also had a beer pairing! The beer menu had over 50 beers, as well! The service was incredible and our meals were fantastic!

I had the Hoegaarden Salmon! It's a definite must-try!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Having read mixed reviews on this restaurant, we decided to try it anyway based on the novelty of eating Belgian food and having a wide choice of interesting Belgian and other European beers. We arrived at the outdoor entrance and waited...and... waited to be recognized by the very busy staff. After several minutes, one of the servers saw us and graciously seated us at an outside table. After another wait, we were able to order Mussels Provencale. After a 15 minute wait our server apologetically told us that someone else had been served our mussels! So, after another shorter wait, our mussels arrived. They were delicious, except for the fact that many of them had not opened. Our entrees arrived relatively quickly after that and were very tasty. We both ordered Carbonnade a la Flamande, one with potatoes, the other with home made pasta. The pasta indeed was home made and was cooked perfectly, the potatoes were superb. We ordered Belgian raspberry wheat beers, which, while delicious, contained the artificial sweetener, aspertame. Although we obviously cannot fault the restaurant for serving artificially sweetened Belgian beer, we thought it deserved a mention. The bottom line: our server was great, the service not so great; the food was really delicious, other than the fact that about half of the mussels were inedible. We will probably return the next time we are in Halifax, but might avoid the mussels, which should be a highpoint of this Belgian restaurant.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I ate here with a large business group that is based in Belguim. We were hoping to get some of the Belgian beer but 7 plus of the requested beers were not availible. It was a fixed menu so I did get to see the whole menu. Food was decent but not outstanding. Dessert (waffle) was not good and was not eaten by my party. Overall I was disappointed with the expereince.

1  Thank cdnfamily23