“This is about the Grill, downstairs”
Review of CUT Steakhouse

CUT Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
CUT Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 760 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lower Water St
Reviewed May 26, 2014

First off, I think TripAdvisor should separate coverage of the steakhouse from that of the grill downstairs. That would help both reviewers and guests.
While trolling recently for a spot to have lunch, my wife and I found ourselves on Salter Street, and I suggested the grill at Cut. Eyebrows rose; we had been underwhelmed by the food and overwhelmed by the price at the upstairs steakhouse a while back. (An insightful food writer wrote recently that the problem with steakhouses in Halifax is one of consistency. He added that the best place in that department is The Keg, but that the room there is like a warehouse. Hard to argue with that assessment.)
We went in. One cook and one server were on hand, and as we were seated a group of nine arrived. We envisaged a wait. But we were served quickly, and so were the nine.
I had the steak frites. It was cooked just as requested and was a very good piece of meat. My mate had the club sandwich, which she declared delicious. Both meals included excellent fries which, we learned, were “beer-battered”.Who knew? The wines were good and carefully chosen by the restaurant.
But, oh my, the room. While the upstairs is classy enough, the grill décor could be described as “nouveau Walmart”: plastic furniture, dreadful lighting, and concrete floors. Why would the proprietors do that?

2  Thank TerryPearson

Reviewed May 20, 2014

If you want good meat in Halifax you can't do better than Cut. Sit at the bar for the best view and best service.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have eaten here on 2 occasions. Once on my own dime, and once using a gift certificate given to me by my boss. The atmosphere is nice, but nothing spectacular. The food is good, but not great. The prices are high, very high. Perhaps the highest in town. My wife and I paid over $200 for dinner for 2, including wine and a cocktail. The steak is good but not so good as to justify the price. I wouldn't go back.

1  Thank dhillca
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We went to the steakhouse & urban grill for dinner. I had the steak sandwich which was piled high and beet soup for a side. Wonderful meal and the prices are quite acceptable for such a nice dining room and atmosphere. Our server Connie Lynn was very attentive and pleasant. On our next trip to Halifax we definately be making a visit.

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The service was excellent, absolutely fantastic. Oysters, great. Salad, great. Steaks....black angus tenderloin and rib eye tenderloin.... Not even close to what I, untrained can deliver at home. We get our black angus from Greek's and there is no question I can deliver this, no dry aging much better. I had to saw through a med rare rib eye, blank angus.....

1  Thank amyandandrew