“A different ambiance!”

Red Stag Tavern
Ranked #50 of 742 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Before coming to Halifax, we looked for restaurants that had menus that appealed to us and that had positive reviews from Tripadvisor. The Red Stag Tavern was on our list, but we had no idea where it was. In fact, we had not planned to go to this restaurant. We happened to stumble across its and decided to check it out. This restaurant is not directly on the street. It is located in the Keith Brewery building. It is located in a "mini mall" that has been carved out of the brewery. It is a round area all in stone with very high ceilings -- like something from the middle ages. The restaurant also has the same rustic charm.

We both enjoyed out sandwiches and the potato wedges were delicious. We had a very friendly waitress who gave us excellent service. We are glad that we accidentally found this restaurant.

1  Thank bcnett

Reviewed August 31, 2014

Although the lobster chowder is something out of this world, the "best" ( as they call it) chip and chips in town is really a artery clogger !! The breaded fish has so much oil and so much crust you can't even find the fish itself.
So if you want to try the best chowder of your life, this is it but I wouldn't go for the fish and chips.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

During my stay in Halifax I found this pub randomly while exploring the downtown area and boy am I glad I did. They have wonderful service, great beer and amazing fish n chips. The rooftop patio is the icing on the cake because its a great spot to unwind on those beautiful summer days. Hands down the best fish n chips I've had...... west of newfoundland lol.

1  Thank JButtbah
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Love the food here. Some of the best seafood in town, and the steaks are grilled to perfection every time. I'm a big fan of the tavern atmosphere inside, and the place is so full of history. I also appreciate the fact that they have a roof-top patio for those nice summer days when you really want to eat outside.

The service is exactly what I would expect from a tavern in the Maritimes: Friendly and fast!

I could not recommend this restaurant enough to people.

Free Wifi (no acces on roof-top patio)
People staying at the Marriott Courtyard receive a 15% discount on their meals.

1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed August 14, 2014

we used to go here all the time, then the last time we went the prices had changed, the food wasn't as good and they changed their tarter sauce to some weird pink concoction :( asked for real tarter sauce, and they apparently don't carry it anymore... used to be our go to restaurant :(