“Great Beer!”

Red Stag Tavern
Ranked #59 of 775 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Stag about 5pm. We were not ready for dinner but we were plenty ready for a cold beer and some shrimp. We had great coconut shrimp and Alexander Keith's Pale Ale and Red Ale. Both were on tap and they were great. Service was personal and attentive. It was just a wonderful afternoon in Halifax and the Stag was a nice spot to stop on our harbor walk. The Stag is not on the water but close enough and worth the time to stop for beer!

RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thanks so much for stopping by The Stag. When you described the service as "personal and attentive you pretty much summed up what we try to achieve with every interaction. Making visitors feel at home from the minute that they walk in the door is our specialty.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Cheers
GM

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Based on reviews on TA and yelp, decided to try this restaurant. The dining experience started off a bit shakey when the table we selected turned out to still be not well wiped down and server wasn't too happy with us. We ordered Caesar salad, mussels and lobster linguini. Mussels and salad delicious. Linguini was very tasty but very little lobster (two very tiny pieces) and no scallops (which listed as included on menu). Mentioned our displeasure to server and she immediately took our plate without a word, just a bit later the manager brought our fresh plate which included 3 very well prepared scallops. They also offered us free dessert of choice to make up for lack of seafood. Based on their willingness to rectify their error, would definitely recommend dining here.
Also had Belgian White and Red Ale, both delicious.

Hi Suz1884,

Thank you for your quick response regarding your visit yesterday. We don't have a lot of issues that arise, however when they do we try to rectify it right away. Knowing that in the end your group was satisfied, makes myself and Morgan (your server) smile. All feedback is welcome because it is the only way that we can improve. I appreciate you letting us know of the issue yesterday, as it allowed us to do our best to resolve it.

Thanks again.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We ate dinner here based on Trip Advisor reviews. The menu was typical pub-grub and the food was good quality and reasonably-priced - but not quite worthy of the "glowing" reviews it's been getting.

This pub is in a nicely-restored old building and has been cleverly decorated to fit into the old brewery decor . But, beyond appearances, it's nothing special. Service was fast and friendly - but, again, not noticeably better than anywhere else in Halifax.

RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thanks for the feedback PM_in_Toronto.

We often wonder if we can match the high expectations that visitors may get from reading our online reviews. Our food is high end pub fare, that is homemade, but we wouldn't compare ourselves to some of the fine dining spots that we are ranked among. Usually it is our service that sets us apart, and if your experience was just a typical server doing their job, than we definitely fell short. Our motto here is "caring counts", this goes from the food, the cleanliness, the service etc etc. So I will bring your words to the staff, and can ensure you that if you do take another trip to Halifax, your experience at The Stag will be much better.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Cheers
GM

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a very cool restaurant situated in the Alexander Keith's Brewery. Had lunch here on my recent trip to Halifax. I had the seafood pasta. I asked the bartender to make me a drink of his choice and he brought me a wonderful concotion that was sweet, but not overly so. The portion size of my meal was very generous and I really enjoyed it. This is a very busy restaurant for lunch, or it least it was on the Friday I went.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We did the brewery tour then went to the Red Stag for a late lunch. We loved it so much we went back the next day for lunch. The coconut shrimp was my favorite, although we enjoyed everything we had, and the service was good.