“Not bad, not great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Stag Tavern

Red Stag Tavern
Ranked #42 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Reston, Virginia
“Not bad, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Red Stag fit the bill for a late lunch in Halifax. It's nothing to write home about. The food was average and the pub was filled with children so the atmosphere wasn't great. Service was prompt and friendly.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hi Moahhikers,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to The Red Stag. I apologize that your meal wasn't great, as that is always what we strive for. We actually live by the phrase, once you think that you are "good" you'll never be "great". On that note, feedback such as yours will allow us to remain at the top of our game. Unfortunately, I notice that you don't live in Halifax so a chance at redemption is probably not going to happen. However, if you do make another trip to Halifax, please give us another chance, and ask to talk to me personally, because I would want to ensure that you get the true Red Stag experience!

Tampa, Florida
“Authentic British Pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you like a pub atmosphere with plenty of beer choices, this is your place in Halifax. Had lunch here after our tour from the cruise ship. Just a block off the water and a short walk from the cruise ship dock. The burgers, fish and chips, and nachos were all excellent. The service was prompt and friendly, the prices fair and the atmosphere very nice. We'd come back here again.

• Visited September 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
“THE Best Food in Halifax - Our Second Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I can't say enough about The Red Stag, located on Lower Water Street in downtown Halifax. We first ate there about 6-7 years ago, and thought so much about the food, the staff, the atmosphere, that we quickly contacted them to host our wedding reception! We were the first wedding reception ever held there and they did not disappoint! That was 5 years ago, and to this day, our friends and family are still talking about how wonderful it was. The food was fantastic! And ever since then, my wife and I go at least once a month. Everything on the menu is perfect....the best fish and chips in town, and their NACHOS.....to die for...THE best we ever had. We think so much about The Red Stag, we recommend it to anyone and everyone when they ask, "where to eat?"....we have sent more people there...haha!

The staff and management are great, friendly. The atmosphere is just perfect, with the decor and uniforms, a real taste of old Nova Scotia. If you live in Halifax or are visiting our great city, do yourself a favor and go to The Red Stag.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank DamienKage01
Dartmouth, Canada
“Fantastic Food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly service and rustic authentic pub feel when I entered the restaurant. My food was excellent and I enjoyed the dining atmosphere. I will definately keep coming back.

• Visited October 2012
Cardiff
“Very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided to have the fish and chips here on the first night of our holiday. The food was very good and they were very welcoming. The only reason I haven't given them 5 stars is because the waitress brought over the bill and just stood there. Tired and with it being our 1st night back in Canada we asked the waitress to come back in a while whist we sorted out the bill and what tip to pay but she insisted on standing over us saying she wasn't in a rush. Because of this experience we did not go back again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank bobo7
RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hi Bobo7,

First of all thank you so much for coming in to The Red Stag. I am so glad that you enjoyed the food, and that we made you feel so welcome. Regarding the incident with your billing, that is something that I will pass along to the staff and make sure that they realize how it made you feel. Our main goal is to make sure that people feel at home, and that we portray a laid back and fun atmosphere. Unfortunately at that time, I agree, that the server became far too laid back, and didn't realize that you needed some time with your partner. Again, I apologize for this, and hope that if you pass through Halifax again that you stop by. I assure you, that it won't happen again.

Cheers and thank you again for your feedback.