“THE Best Food in Halifax - Our Second Home!”
Review of Red Stag Tavern

Red Stag Tavern
Ranked #67 of 760 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I can't say enough about The Red Stag, located on Lower Water Street in downtown Halifax. We first ate there about 6-7 years ago, and thought so much about the food, the staff, the atmosphere, that we quickly contacted them to host our wedding reception! We were the first wedding reception ever held there and they did not disappoint! That was 5 years ago, and to this day, our friends and family are still talking about how wonderful it was. The food was fantastic! And ever since then, my wife and I go at least once a month. Everything on the menu is perfect....the best fish and chips in town, and their NACHOS.....to die for...THE best we ever had. We think so much about The Red Stag, we recommend it to anyone and everyone when they ask, "where to eat?"....we have sent more people there...haha!

The staff and management are great, friendly. The atmosphere is just perfect, with the decor and uniforms, a real taste of old Nova Scotia. If you live in Halifax or are visiting our great city, do yourself a favor and go to The Red Stag.

1  Thank DamienKage01

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly service and rustic authentic pub feel when I entered the restaurant. My food was excellent and I enjoyed the dining atmosphere. I will definately keep coming back.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided to have the fish and chips here on the first night of our holiday. The food was very good and they were very welcoming. The only reason I haven't given them 5 stars is because the waitress brought over the bill and just stood there. Tired and with it being our 1st night back in Canada we asked the waitress to come back in a while whist we sorted out the bill and what tip to pay but she insisted on standing over us saying she wasn't in a rush. Because of this experience we did not go back again.

1  Thank bobo7
RedStagManagement, General Manager at Red Stag Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hi Bobo7,

First of all thank you so much for coming in to The Red Stag. I am so glad that you enjoyed the food, and that we made you feel so welcome. Regarding the incident with your billing, that is something that I will pass along to the staff and make sure that they realize how it made you feel. Our main goal is to make sure that people feel at home, and that we portray a laid back and fun atmosphere. Unfortunately at that time, I agree, that the server became far too laid back, and didn't realize that you needed some time with your partner. Again, I apologize for this, and hope that if you pass through Halifax again that you stop by. I assure you, that it won't happen again.

Cheers and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great PUB menu, Excellent quality of food, Fantastic service! Washroom was a little out of the way, and beer selection was small (due to the fact it's owned by Keith's Brewery). All in all worth while!

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I went to the Red Stag last night with a large group for a private function. Adam and his staff did a fantastic job accommodating our group. Food was delicious and staff very friendly.
I will be back next time in Halifax. I recommend the chicken nachos and any of the burgers, everyone enjoyed their meals.